TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Traveling to London in July

I'll be traveling to London on July 7 - 16 and as it is my first time, I would love to hear your tips. Here's some more information about my trip and interests to help frame your suggestions:

• I will have all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday free though the following week I will be working during the day, so evening activities are welcome
  • I will be staying near Victoria Station
  • I love Harry Potter, train travel, burgers, street art, architecture and beautiful sights
  • I like to take jumping photos so any spots where that would work are always welcome (though I'll need to be sure to be with someone to take my photo!)
  • So far, I'm am confirmed for the Sky Garden, Tower Bridge and Harry Potter Studio Tour
  • I am not afraid to explore by myself or take trains to travel
  • If you're in London, I'd love to meet you!

I'm collecting suggestions in this publicly available Google Doc (you're welcome to edit) before starring all of the places on my Google Maps and creating an itinerary. I'm a planner, so I thank you in advance! 

Me jumping in Sonoma (California)Me jumping in Sonoma (California)

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
11 comments
Level 7

Re: Traveling to London in July

Hello!

I am in London and would love to meet up and go for a burger if you're free!

I will be adding things to do on the document - there's definitely plenty to do. 

Former Google Contributor

There is only one thing you need to do: Warner Bros. Studio Tour: Harry Potter. It is a magically amazing experience! Tour sets from the movie, see props, costumes and how they made certain effects like monsters and creature works. Its fantastic. (p.s. see all my photos here)

cart.jpgnineandthreequarters.jpgflourish.jpgcupboard.jpgpotions.jpg

Level 7

I contributed to your suggestions, but there is one thing that you should definitely consider doing in the next few days - ordering pounds from your bank because the exchange rate is very favourable for the USD against the pound. Brexit fail. 😞

Have fun and don't forget an umbrella. 

Connect Moderator

Are you into tennis at all Traci? Wimbledon is actually going on until July 10th, so it might be worth to swing by to check it out. By the time you'll be there it will be deep into the second week, so you might not be able to see much with a ground pass, but it will still be a good atmosphere.

http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

I went there in 2013 and I can say it's a much different experience from other tennis tournament I've attended. If anything you can go to try their strawberries and cream 🙂

20130705_024451_836.jpg

Here's a video I took when I was there:

Former Google Contributor

Oh, and defintiely pop into The Attendant for coffee or a snack. Its in an old underground loo 🙂 Good food and cute digs.

loo.jpg

Level 7

Hello Traci,

I loved to visit London! It's just fantastic. Your itinerary is already full of good places to visit. I think renting a bike and and go around to visit some of the beautiful parks of the city is pretty cool. Harry Potter, I love too. In addition to the visit to the Warner Bros. Studio, if you have time and go through the region, King Cross Station has a 9 3/4 Platform. I saw in a brazilian website that there is also a tour on foot called: "Harry Potter Film Locations in the City". This is the link in English, if you are interested: http://www.walks.com/Standalone/Harry_Potter_City_of_London_Tour/default.aspx#24233

I hope you can enjoy the trip!

Level 8

Hi Traci!

As one who visited London a couple years ago, I'll give you the best piece of advice I got: don't do the London Eye.

The London Eye (or the Millennium Wheel) is a huge ferris wheel that promises a great view of the city. I'm sure it is, but to ride up you'll have to wait in line and pay to go up... so why not spend that money (and time) with drinks?

The OXO Restaurant is a very nice bar/restaurant at the top of the OXO Tower. You get an equally good view, and instead of spending the money on a ticket and waiting in line, you get to spend the money on a very good restaurant.

I don't know where you're originally from but as a Texan, I was not very impressed by London's burger offerings. My recommendation is to try them if you like, but to set your expectations. London has plenty other things to offer. Londoners don't always appreciate it, but even staples like the bangers and mash are actually much better than what you get around here.

Lastly, it may be touristy, but London has some free tours which we rather enjoyed.

Have a great trip!

Googler

Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions. I promise to circle back with photos and a list of what I did!

@JonathanTX I'm a native New Yorker and we do have some pretty awesome burgers, so I'd be hard to please. @LuisRG is also a burger lover and promises there are some delicious spots to try too! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Googler

@iyudhi I'm not a tennis fan but will see if it's possible. Your posts make me too hungry!!