ChellWL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Tips for reading reviews on Google map

*中文版:旅遊必備秘器--Google Map閱讀法

How often do you use Google map for your travel adviser?

Me? ALWAYS!

Every time I go out, especially to places that I'm not familiar with, I will definitely look up Google reviews on map before starting off just in case that an awful restaurant, a terrible hotel or a disappointing spot might spoil my day. However, higher rank doesn't really promise you a better experience. Be careful that some reviews might lie to you

There are reasons why you should not always trust the review on Google map.

To start with, as far as I know, some business pay people to rate five-star and write positive reviews.

Also, sometime you just don't have same taste with others. Most people think the place is good but you just don't.

Then you might start to blame Google map on high rank of the place.

But wait! That doesn't mean Google review is not reliable.

I still read the review before setting out.

So here are my tips for reading Google reviews.

•  Don't just read the star rank.

Sometime a place get 5-star but only 2 people rate it. That's not referential. My suggestion is only trust the star number that is rated by more than a hundred people.

• Read the most negative review.

The review might point out things that you care a lot. Look up the one that say the most many bad experiences he had on the place. Then think about if you mind it or not. If so, then don't go. 

• Pictures worth a thousand words!

Don't forget to look at the pictures to make sure you get interested.

With these tips, you will have good experiences of using Google map as your travel adviser.

How about you? What's your experience of using Google map as your travel adviser?

Share your tips with us:)

3 comments
Level 8

Re: Tips for reading reviews on Google map

@ChellWL

Muito bom sua postagem, vou até complementar como faço minhas observações.

Bom, cada experiências tanto de Guias como usuários tem que ser bem observado, desde ao detalhe grotesco ao mínimo detalhe.

Quando vou avaliar um local para uma visita, eu olho de cara os comentários, vejo quais comentários faz conexão semelhantes entre elas, se o local por exemplo tem um mal atendimento e tem dois usuários falando de mal atendimento, já imagino como vai ser a recepção ao chegar no atendimento. 

Se houver um comentário camuflado com poucas estrelas significa que o local é duvidoso, e mantenho atenção sobre o local.

Também dou preferência aos comentários dos Guias Locais, assim sei que sua opinião tem mais transparência na informação.

Porém contudo caba o avaliador entender aquelas informações e subtrair o que elas quer passar. 

#SauloBarros

Level 7

Thanks for your reply,@SauloBarros 

However, I can't read Portuguese, but I try to understand your words with Google translation.

It would be nice if you can share your tips with us in English, so I can read it better:)

Level 8

As I tend to travel a lot I use Trip Advisor and maps for help. TA is probably worse for planted reviews and people tend to exaggerate too much so I just filter reviews with that in mind and ignore people with 1 review as good chance it's a fake account especially when overly negative or positive.

Usually first few reviews on maps are LG so they are usually solid.