Julien44's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

TRIP TO CROATIA --- MEET UP AND ADVICES

Hi guys @lonileo@MiroslavV@DomagojDomi@JohnnyE@jfvdvelden@Carl@Dontcry43@Tito@Monte@Neki_Freski

I am taking the opportunity to connect with you.

My familly and I will go to Croatia next July. So I would like to know 2 things:

Are you interested in having some meet-ups? We will be in Dubrovnik 08/07-11/07, Pomena /Mljet 11/07-16/07, Split 16/07-20/07, Sibenik 20/07-23/07, Pula 23/07-27/07.

Would you mind helping me finalising few things?

Dubrovnik:

We have planned to visit the city and the old city (Gradske Zidine, Stradun...), the beaches and also to go to Kotor. Is a photowalk meet-up of the old city a good idea or a food crawl meet-up?

I would need advices to go to Kotor with public transport. Is it fine to go there and come back the same day? Is it necessary to book the bus ticket in advance?Where can I book my ticket in advance? How much is it? Is it possible to go with UBER? How much is it?

Mljet:

We plan to go first to Ston by bus. Is it necessary to book the bus ticket in advance and where? There we will visit the Stonske zidine and then go to Prapratno to take the boat to Sobra. Is it necessary to book the boat ticket in advance and where?

There, the plan is to relax with the sea, visit the National Park, the lakes, the Benediktinski samostan Sv.Marija and make hiking. A meet-up could be also great!

Split:

We planned to go there from Mljet by boat. Is it necessary to book the boat ticket in advance and where?

There, we will visit the city and the old city (Dioklecijanovapalaça...), beatches, river cetina and visit Trogir. Would it be good to have photowalk meet-up there?

Sibernik:

We planned to go there by bus. Is it necessary to book the bus ticket in advance and where?

The plan is to visit the city (Katedrala, Gradska vijecnika...) and the national park Krka. Anyone interested for a meet-up?

Pula:

What is the best way to go there from Sibernik? Is it necessary to book in advance?

The plan is to visit the city (amfiteatar, Augustov hram), visit rovinj and enjoy the beatches.

Anyone interested for a meet-up?

Please let me know if I have miss something near the towns mentionned but keep in mind all our accomodations have been booked.

My family and I would love meeting Croatian local guides for Geo walk,Photo walk and food Crawl meet-ups. Does it sound good to you?

Thanks in advance for your attention, your advices and your help.

See you

Jul

26 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TRIP TO CROATIA --- MEET UP AND ADVICES

Hi @Julien44, it is great to see that u are coming to Croatia with your family, u will seartenly have great time. U will visit Croatia and Montenegro as much as I can see. I have been to Kotor in Montenegro and can give u friendly advice, it is wonderful historical city and photowalk meet-up of the old city is an excellent idea! 👏👏👏

Here u can find great info about buses from Dubrovnik to Kotor - u can buy them online or on main bus station in Dubrovnik - your choice!

That's it from me, for now!

Wish u a luck preparing your trip with family 👨‍👩‍👦‍👦☺️!

Level 9

@Julien44: A few years ago, my sister and I actually went from Dubrovnik to Split to Zagreb via a rental car that we picked up in Dubrovnik. Croatia has some of the best highways to drive on, really well paved and well maintained. We didn't have any issues at all doing all of the driving and we actually mostly drove at late evening/night too. If driving is an option, I personally would prefer this as it gives you so much more flexibility. It wasn't too expensive, but keep in mind that we also rented an automatic (most don't drive standard here in North America), so I'm sure if you rent a standard, it is super cheap. Navigation wasn't an issue as we had a EU sim card and utilized Google Maps.

I noticed Plitvice Lakes was not in your list but it is a bit out of the way of where you guys are going. But I really enjoyed my time there. We kind of drove there super early from Split, and then when I arrived, I actually passed out in the car for an hour before exploring the lakes. Please excuse the quality of the photo as it was taken on a Nexus 5, like I said, years ago! 

Plitvice LakesPlitvice Lakes

Do post some photos after your trip! Croatia was gorgeous. We actually mostly went for a diving trip as my sister scuba dives and Croatia has some of the clearest waters in the world!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 10

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks a lot for your advices and wishes ;-). I will check this with full attention.

I really hope to have some meet-ups there as meeting and sharing with locals are very important for us.

It will be for sure a nice trip.

Have a lovely day and see you around

Jul

Level 10

Hi @Shirley,

Thanks for sharing your trip in Croatia and for your advices. I didn't know the roads and highways were that good!

You are right renting a car is probabily the easiest and maybe not the most expensive. We will defently rent a car if we have no other option.

The thing is we love travelling with the locals. Using public transports is always a opportunity to meet people and each time a great experience. It is also very relaxing as all the family enjoy the landskapes, playing games and discussing with other travellers. Travelling with the kids also facilitate the contact with others. These are the main reasons why we love public transports!

We have so many amazing souvenirs from public transports (night train in estern europ, over booked train in Thailand, customs control in Sicilia, bus issue in Cambodia...) : Here are few pics from previous trips which will tell more than words:

DSC_0128-COLLAGE.jpg

20160719_133230-COLLAGE.jpg

You are also right, we haven't planned to go to the beautiful Plitvice lakes. The reason why is that it is not easy to go there with public transport ;-(. The good thing is that it will give us a good excuse to back there ;-).

For sure I will make posts about this trip here in connect ;-).

Once again thanks for your contribution and see you around

Jul

Level 9

@Julien44: One of my good friends is actually Croatian, so he had told me about the road conditions. I have to say, Croatia probably has some of the best maintained roads that I've driven on personally and I did a few road trips in Switzerland and France before, in addition to my driving in North America. I think they were toll roads as well, but not expensive.

I fully understand about doing public transport. Often, I do that too, but my sister and I literally did all of that in about 4 days, so, that would be the quickest and most convenient way to do it by car.

By the way, your kids are very adorable! 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

wow @Julien44 bro it sounds like this coming july you are gonna have a lot of fun travelling with your family to croatia 🙂
Best of luck & happy travelling in advance bro keep us updated with your pictures, videos or any recaps of your meetup with local guides.

Regards

Level 10

@Shirley,

I fully understand you point, renting a car is easiest, fastest and more convenient especially when you are running after the time!

Thanks for your lovely words !

Jul

Level 10

Hi @Haseeb,

I hope you are fine!

Thanks a lot for your kind comments!

The trip is coming quickly and I am looking forward to go there!

See you soon

Jul

Level 10

Hi @Shirley,

I think you are right, it will be easier and much faster to rent a car for the trip from Sibenik to Pula. I went trough the link shared by @Anonymous and there are buses but it takes beetween 8 to 10 hours to do 450km.

Thank you both for your advices.

See you around

Jul