AlexPssn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

South Florida road trip

Hi Florida Local Guides,

I'm driving from Orlando to Key West. I need some help choosing the top 3-4 attractions at each stop

We have 2 weeks and would like to spend three days in each of the following cities.

• Orlando
  • Cape Canaveral,
  • Ft. Lauderdale
  • Miami
  • Key West
Florida, United States
6 comments
Googler

Re: South Florida road trip

@AlexPssn Hey! I was Cape Canaveral and Key West for two National Parks meet-ups that I hosted this summer.

Check out some of the places I visited in Key West here which I definitely recommend, including taking a day trip to Dry Tortugas because if you're all the way down there, you should totally go! 

Near Cape Canaveral, I definitely recommend visiting Dixie Crossroads for food, Canaveral National Seashore, Playa Linda and Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge for the sights/activities.  

Orlando is where I went to college and visit a few times each year and it depends on your preferences. Are you looking for places to eat, drink or play? Eat at Tibby's in Winter Park, go to Wizarding World of Harry Potter and skip the Orlando Eye

I don't have many favorites in Fort Lauderdale or Orlando, so I can't share much but @SP31 may be able to help out and we seem to have similar tastes! 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Thank you @TraciC, We want to go to Harry Potter, we missed it last year, and Dry Tortugas National Park is on our list. 

The links were perfect, I can just add them to my Google Trips app. 

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @TraciC! 🙂 

Hey @AlexPssn! You're coming down at a great time, the heat is finally easing up and the weather should be comfortable. I haven't explored much of Ft. Lauderdale, but I know Las Olas Blvd is the place to be. As far as Orlando, I usually frequent the theme parks, but I do remember having a good dining experience at Hash House a GoGo and I've been wanting to visit the Ice Bar Orlando, which may be of interest to you. Actually, Disney Springs has been revitalized and has a ton of great entertainment and food options now.

As far as Miami, where I'm from, I definitely recommend checking out the Wynwood Art District - they usually have an art walk on the second Saturday evening of the month, but if you are not in Miami at that time, you can easily go during the day to check out some spots such as Wynwood Walls, & Bakehouse Art Complex and great restaurants such as Wynwood Kitchen & Bar and Kush. The Wynwood Yard is also cool! This is a neighborhood in Miami that is growing at a rapid pace and perfect for the arts and dining. 

As cliche as it sounds, Miami/South Beach is worth checking out. There's so much to do based on your preferences. Enjoy people watching, shopping, and restaurants? You'll love Lincoln Road Mall and Ocean Drive (long strip of road that goes parallel of the ocean). Enjoy a bit more peace, but also want to be steps away from the beach? Definitely go to South Pointe Park! They completed a ton of renovations and it is absolutely beautiful. There are a few restaurants steps away from the park (Smith & Wollensky, Cibo Wine Bar), the sand and ocean is a few steps from the park, and you can even relax and watch the boats and cruise ships go by on the park's boardwalk. Some places to dine that I'd recommend in the South Beach area include the famous Joe's Stone Crab (they also have a to go restaurant that you can actually dine in for quicker and inexpensive experience), YardBird, and Izzy's

Coconut Grove is another great Miami neighborhood with a ton of great history, dining, and places of interest. Best place and most popular place in the Grove? Definitely Vizcaya Museums and Gardens. I've got to say, your time in Miami is incomplete without a stop here. Also check out CocoWalk, an outdoor mall that is in the center of the Grove, and it is very lively. Definitely recommend Greenstreet Cafe in the grove for dining. Little Havana is also great for Cuban culture - especially at the epicenter near Domino Park. During the day, the area is very festive, there are cigar shops, some authentic Cuban restaurants, and one of my favorites, Azucar Ice Cream

Other random tidbits for Miami:

• Looking for a zoo or something similar? Make your choice Zoo Miami. It's a bit further south in the county, but affordable and better than Jungle Island, Miami Seaquarium, and Monkey Jungle.
  • If you're seriously into shopping, Dolphin Mall is your spot. Tons and tons of outlet stores and an amazing array of restaurants.
  • I'm a major donut fan and even if you're not - The Salty Donut is a MUST.
  • If wine is your thing, Schnebly's is a great place to check out. They've got beer too!
  • Speaking of beer, if you love beer, Wynwood has breweries - including Concrete Beach and Wynwood Brewery.  
  • Every Wednesday, Soundscape shows movies around the corner from Lincoln Road mall. It's a beautiful outdoor space w/ a large screen and speakers. Feel free to bring a blanket!
  • Feeling for brunch? Eating House and Whisk are two great options - Greenstreet Cafe (listed above) is another one as well. Many places offer brunch nowadays.

I know its a ton of info, but feel free to let me know if you have any additional or specific questions 🙂 . Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 9

Wow @SP31, I'll need 6 weeks to explore Miami only.

Thanks for the tips, we visit Ft Lauderdale (from Canada) every year for Cmas, this is the first time we are going on a road trip. There is a lot on your list we haven't tried in Miami. We'll certainly try to get them all in. 

Googler

Thank you for sharing, @SP31. You are THE source of information on Miami. Hands down!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

🙂 Aw, thanks, @TraciC! #ILoveLG

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall