Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of the best beaches in the Philippines (from a former non-beach lover!)

When planning beach trips to Southeast Asia, the Philippines is usually overlooked by travelers who opt for more popular destinations like Krabi in Thailand, Bali in Indonesia, or Langkawi in Malaysia. And then there’s the Philippines with 7,107 islands.

Growing up in the Philippines, I was never inclined to do outdoorsy activities, and I wasn’t particularly excited about being in the water. Shocking, I know! I mean, who doesn’t like hanging out by the waves or swimming in the beach?  It was when I moved away that I really started to appreciate it.  Whenever I go back to the Philippines, I make sure to visit a new place to where I can spend a lot of time by the water.

Here are some places I’ve been to, which I hope you consider visiting:

Coron, Palawan

One of the many lagoons in CoronOne of the many lagoons in Coron   Rugged limestone cliffs & boats shot from a droneRugged limestone cliffs & boats shot from a drone

In Coron, you can swim in the clear waters of Kayangan Lake, snorkel or dive Barracuda Lake with its amazing, visible thermocline, Twin Lagoon surrounded by dramatic, sharp limestone walls and lots of little fish to see by snorkeling. You can also go kayaking and go an on island tour via a small boat, or what we call bangka.

Coron is also known for diving to see World War II Japanese ship wrecks.

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.15.33 PM.png

El Nido, Palawan

One of the nice places I visited in El Nido is Entalula Island, with the photos below.

Picturesque beachPicturesque beach Happy hubby at Entalula!Happy hubby at Entalula!

Enough said. 🙂

If you need something to get your adrenalin pumping,  try some rock climbing routes. Some climbers have done some Deep Water Soloing from the cliffs in El Nido (and also in Coron).

Deep-water soloing in Coron, Palawan Photo by Francisco Taranto, Jr. http://www.fotovertical.com/Deep-water soloing in Coron, Palawan Photo by Francisco Taranto, Jr. http://www.fotovertical.com/  Me trying out a route in EntalulaMe trying out a route in Entalula

You can also kayak around the Big & Small Lagoon, and walk on Snake Island, an amazingly, long sandbar.  If you’re looking for some trekking, you could hire a guide in El Nido Town and climb up Taraw Peak to see spectacular views of Bacuit Bay.

For scuba divers, one of the most pristine sites in the world is the Tubbataha, a protected reef in Sulu sea, in the western part of the country. Here, you'll get a chance to encounter see manta rays, whale sharks, tiger sharks, grey tips, hawksbill turtles, schools of jacks and some of the healthiest reefs in the world.

The docile whale shark we saw on a dive. Photo credit: my friend GuillaumeThe docile whale shark we saw on a dive. Photo credit: my friend Guillaume

Malapascua Island, Cebu 

Malapascua is one of the few places in the world to see thresher sharks on a regular basis. They come up to a spot called Monad Shoal to get cleaned by fish called wrasse. Think of it as a shark spa. 🙂 And no, they’re not aggressive. 

Photo credit: Thresher Shark Divers, malapascua-diving.comPhoto credit: Thresher Shark Divers, malapascua-diving.com

Boracay

And you may have heard of Boracay, known for its fine, white sand and amazing sunsets.

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.28.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 2.27.56 PM.png

In addition to these beautiful, unspoiled beaches, lakes and lagoons, there’s so much more to the Philippines. I've barely scratched the surface.Traveling around the country is generally cheap and affordable. People are warm, friendly, and almost everyone can speak English, so there are no language barriers. 

Has anyone been? Share your experiences! For those who haven't visited...if you’re thinking of pristine beaches, a diverse list of activities and affordable travel in Southeast Asia, and why not come to the Philippines?

Philippines
14 comments
Level 10

Re: Some of the best beaches in the Philippines (from a former non-beach lover!)

First of all I must say whoever not visited Philippines yet after reading this informative post, sure will fall in love with Philippines. 

I have so many friends and colleagues belongs to metro manila. They always talk about beauty of Philippines especially palawan. My own opinion is Philippines is most affordable and best holiday destination .

I personally not yet visited but hopefully I will be there soon.

Thanks @Anonymous for such a wonderful post.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Some of the best beaches in the Philippines (from a former non-beach lover!)

Thanks, @AkmalB. There are surely lots of flights from Kuala Lumpur to Manila on Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines and Malaysia Airlines so hopefully you can visit someday!

@AkmalB wrote:

First of all I must say whoever not visited Philippines yet after reading this informative post, sure will fall in love with Philippines. 

I have so many friends and colleagues belongs to metro manila. They always talk about beauty of Philippines especially palawan. My own opinion is Philippines is most affordable and best holiday destination .

I personally not yet visited but hopefully I will be there soon.

Thanks @Anonymous for such a wonderful post.

🙂 

Level 9

That's true @AkmalB , Philippine must visit after this wonderful Post , you write the post very well @Anonymous , 👍👌😊

I add Philippine to my wish what do you think Akmal when to visit , before or after KL !??

Level 10

I think we have to be there next two months @OSAMA.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome! If you can, the best time to be there is November to early March. 🙂

Level 10

Thank you so much for useful suggestion @Anonymous.

Level 9

That's Winter time here @Anonymous, I used to visit UAE, Now we have new options 😊 and with @AkmalB companion that will be Amazing Trip 😊

@Anonymous wrote:

That's awesome! If you can, the best time to be there is November to early March. 🙂

Level 8

Just Awesome @Anonymous.  I Like The Photos > 

Level 7

thank you nice information

@Anonymous wrote: