Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Showers at Airports??

Following along the lines of my recent post about the most adventurous layover, which is one way to maximize travels. So this post is about another way to maximize traveling, but in a different way, and staying fresh.

To maximize my time in my destination, I often try to leave as early as I can (sometimes even on a red eye flight) and depart as late as possible. This means, even on the very last day, I'd want a full day of exploring and fun before finally boarding and flying home. But of course, this poses a slight problem. After a long day of adventures, you may want to be able to freshen up, especially before boarding a flight but this may not always be possible. So here are a few finds that I have stumbled on...perhaps it may help you on your next adventure.

1. Asking the hotel that you've stayed at.

One time in Hawaii, my flight was in the evening, around 10pm. There was a whole day of adventure and being around the water and in the sun, it was a recipe for a sweaty day. We had left the luggage in the hotel before our exploration. Thankfully, we had decided to ask the hotel if it was possible to rinse off when we picked up out luggage and they had agreed to let us use the showers in their pool area to freshen up when we went back. so we didn't have to be all sweaty when we boarded our flight. This would only work if the hotel has some showers at the pool area.

2. Airport lounge access

If you're fortunate enough to fly often, then chances are, you'll have access to airport lounges. Many airports around the world have showers in their airports. If you don't fly often enough, then check your credit card or what credit card options are out there. Many of them have lounge access. At one point in my life, I had access to lounges. So after a long transatlantic flight, I stopped by the lounge for some snacks and a shower  to rinse off before exploring the city. This is most useful for red eye flights or ones where you arrive at your destination in the morning and can't check into a hotel yet to freshen up.

3. Look for signs in the airport.

This is probably one of the best free finds I've had in an airport in some time. I was recently in Bali, Indonesia, a gorgeous tropical island. My flight was at 10pm and I was due to fly to Hong Kong but with a connection in Singapore. It was an overnight connection in Singapore and I had made plans to leave the airport to meet with my friends, stay with them for a few hours so I had checked most of my luggage but kept some clothes with me and a towel in my carry on luggage. I had a full day of exploring in Ubud, Bali, going to the rice paddies, an underground temple and also through the market. It had a been a really long day. I made my way to the airport and arrived with plenty of time to spare. I was wandering through the secured area (ie. after security clearance and in the area for gates), just browsing to see what was available in the duty free shops and then I came across this sign.

Inside the International Terminal of DPSInside the International Terminal of DPS

Thinking to myself, are there free showers? Will they be clean and will there be a ton of people there? Following the signs, I went to search for them. And to my surprise, these were free showers, and no one else was even around. There were at least 10 individual shower stalls in the women's side and each stall had tons of space to secure your carry on luggage. I only had a backpack but there would be plenty of space to store your suitcase as well. Thankfully I had my clothes and towel with me so this worked out really well for a quick shower. I was a bit shocked how there was no one else around, perhaps others haven't discovered it. This was a pleasant surprise and will definitely be something that I look out for in the future at other airports.

What about you? Have you ever taken a shower at an airport? What tips and tricks do you have for staying fresh while travelling on flights?

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
15 comments
Level 10

Re: Showers at Airports??

Never had a shower IN an airport (often, outside :D) but this is something that MANY should need! 🙂

Thanks for your suggestions! I will try to find if there is something like that in Italy! 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing your tips with us @Shirley!

I'll keep your number 1 find in mind and be on the lookout for a "Showers" sign in my future travels ☺️

I have never showered on an airport, nor did I know airports with showers existed, but if I ever go though an airport with showers in between flights or after a long day I would definitely use them. 

Level 9

Yes @LucioV Keep us posted on what you find in Italian airports. I've been to both airports in Rome...but don't recall free shower.

You're welcome @Jesi. It was a lucky find for sure for me and I was so happy to see it in Bali! 

I do know some airports, such as the one in Singapore, actually has a swimming pool but it isn't free access so who knows what you may find?

The airport in Vancouver, Canada actually has an aquarium in it!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

very nice post @Shirley 🙂

there are in first class lounges , to be honest i didn't take a shower in any airport yet ,  i prefer to take one in the hotel before going  to airport even i am in first class lounge , and there are a showers in some airplanes check this emirates funny adv by feature jennifer Aniston 

Level 9

Yes @OSAMA! I've seen it before and really want to fly with Emirates one day. They don't fly from my city here, so it's a shame. But maybe one day!

Connect Moderator

@Shirley, again, another great story. I always like to be fresh in my traveling. Even I bring many clothes to make me wear clean clothes all the time. But showering in a public place…? Hmm.. let's see. Once, I wanted to do it when I had a long transit in Taiwan but I am not really comfortable having shower in a public place. Next time I will try to do it. Thanks for the post!

Ps. I think you remembered that one thing I really wanted to do in Bali right? Yes! Showering 😋

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 6

Have used the showers at 3 airports - NYC, London Heathrow and Narita International - always good if taking red eye and need to freshen up prior to client meetings.

They give you a towel (mine have always been well laundered), the soap is dispensed in mounted tubes, they will also give you toothbrush and mini toothpaste and razor etc.

Need web help? reach out
Level 9

Thanks @NunungAfuah! But yes, I agree, must be a bit careful. I double checked that it was secured since I have my luggage with me. I also remember you wanted to shower in Bali after a loooooong day of travelling and exploring!!

@FrankWatson: Oh! I've been in the arrival lounge in Heathrow as well! Agreed, perfect way to freshen up after a long day of travelling! 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Shirley, great tips! Thank you for sharing the post. 

Chubu Centrair International Airport in Nagoya (my hometown), Japan has a public bath

"Travelers can relax and enjoy a relaxing soak in this bathhouse, which offers a view of the airplanes and the sunset beyond the bay."

I have never used it, but if you ever go to Japan, please try it 🙂