AntanO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ruins of Kingdom of Jaffna (Aryacakravarti)

Kingdom of Aryacakravarti or Kingdom of Jaffna was ruled most of the northern areas and ruled/influenced some other areas of Sri Lanka from BC 1215 to BC 1624. Due to the Portuguese arrival and invasion, the kingdom was dissolved. Today, the ruins of ancient kingdom are popular especially for both local and foreign tourists. The ruins are listed as “archaeological protected monuments” by the government of Sri Lanka. The most notable and listed ruins are as follows:

Cankilian Thoppu (palace entrance/ Facade of the palace)Cankilian Thoppu (palace entrance/ Facade of the palace)

The facade is located on the Jaffna-Point Pedro Road, Jaffna, Sri Lanka. However, architecture style is typical of Dutch style, and it could have been renovated by the Dutch.

Cankilian Thoppu foundation (palace foundation)Cankilian Thoppu foundation (palace foundation)

The foundation is not the same of the above mentioned facade. It is located about 500 m away from the facade. Researchers say that ancient palace has several entrances.

Mantri Manai (Abode of Minister / King Cankilian's minister's residence)Mantri Manai (Abode of Minister / King Cankilian's minister's residence)

The abode is believed to be one of the residences of a minister of Cankili. Its architectural style is a mixture of European (Dutch) and Dravidian architecture. It could have been renovated by the Dutch.

Yamuna Eri (pond)Yamuna Eri (pond)

Yamuna Eri is built as a three-sided wall or the shape of the Tamil letter, "ப". It was used by Queen of Jaffna Kingdom or royal families. A historical book says the King bringing sacred water from India's Yamuna River and mixing it with the water in the pond. Therefore, pond derives its name from the Indian river, Yamuna River.

Images: I, the copyright holder of this work already published to Wikimedia Commons under CCA-SA 3.0 & 4.0 licenses.

Ruins of King Sangiliyan's Minister's Residence, Jaffna, Sri Lanka
3 comments
Level 8

Re: Ruins of Kingdom of Jaffna (Aryacakravarti)

Nice post. I visited all these places. Really nice historical places in Jaffna. 

Here is my photograph of king Chankilian minister's residence. மந்திரி மனை - King Chankilian minster's Residenceமந்திரி மனை - King Chankilian minster's Residence

Level 9

@AntanO Thanks for sharing this nice historical place.

@Kumaran_thanga nice photo.

Level 8

Nice article brother @AntanO , This also a nice historical place in jaffna. 

I also have some photos 

சங்கிலியமன்னின் சிலைசங்கிலியமன்னின் சிலை

மந்திரி மனைமந்திரி மனை

ஐமுனா ஏரிஐமுனா ஏரி

@Kumaran_thanga