HelloSamsonR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Recommend A Must Taste Food In Your City For Local Guides To Try When They Visit

@VBenedict wrote:

It is easy to be inspired when all of you come out with such wonderful challenges to play with   @HelloSamsonR  

Yeah, thats really, really true. You said well @VBenedict

Level 8

Re: Recommend A Must Taste Food In Your City For Local Guides To Try When They Visit

When you are in Pune, India, You must try Misal.

misal.jpg

Misal (Marathi: मिसळ, meaning "mixture"), is a very popular dish in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. The dish is mostly eaten for breakfast or as a midday snack or rarely as a one dish meal, often as part of misal pav. It remains a favourite snack since it is easy to make, relatively cheap and has good nutritional value. The taste of misal ranges from mildly to extremely spicy. And there are a lot of varieties as well.Misal is also a popular street food. The dish is always served hot.

Ingredients

The ingredients of misal vary widely, and consist of a combination of the following:

• Usal, a curry made from matki (moth bean) or watane (dried pea) or even mung beans.
  • Tarri/kat/sample/rassa, a spicy gravy. This is the heart of the dish and is usually made in many variants identified by colour as "kala rassa" (black), "laal rassa"(red), "hirwa rassa"(green) etc. The colour of the tarri is imparted by the ingredients used and not by artificial edible food colouring agents. So a green tarri would be made from green chilies and corriander whereas the black tarri would be made from dry roasted bay-leaf and black pepper as main ingredients. The red tarri as expected would have red-chilli powder.
  • Batata Bhaji (boiled, diced potatoes, spiced with turmeric, chilies, ginger & mustard).
  • Curd called dahi in Marathi (optional)
  • Chivda (jaad poha chivda)
  • Farsan (not required if Chivda is used)
  • Garnish of onions, tomatoes, coriander, lemon wedge
  • Pav (Slice or Laadi)

Level 10

Wow @Neminath  Thanks for sharing. Misal looks really great. Seems in India we have a lot of select  food to choose from with a wide range varieties and options. Thanks to your recommendations, I just found out another nutritional food to give a great try when in Pune, India. Misal seems like a great food to also take for breakfast from your recommendations, good to know as well it goes along with bread Making it even more convenient for & relaxing to as well give a try to this.

Do you have some select restaurants in Pune that offer mishal on their men ? Please of you do, please share me the links or if you have a list as well you could share it with me. I think my list of recommendations of where and what to eat best in every city in the world is becoming large.

Level 10

@Neminath wrote:

misal.jpg

Misal (Marathi: मिसळ, meaning "mixture"), is a very popular dish in the western Indian state of Maharashtra. The dish is mostly eaten for breakfast or as a midday snack or rarely as a one dish meal, often as part of misal pav. It remains a favourite snack since it is easy to make, relatively cheap and has good nutritional value. The taste of misal ranges from mildly to extremely spicy. And there are a lot of varieties as well.Misal is also a popular street food. The dish is always served hot.

Ingredients

The ingredients of misal vary widely, and consist of a combination of the following:

• Usal, a curry made from matki (moth bean) or watane (dried pea) or even mung beans.
  • Tarri/kat/sample/rassa, a spicy gravy. This is the heart of the dish and is usually made in many variants identified by colour as "kala rassa" (black), "laal rassa"(red), "hirwa rassa"(green) etc. The colour of the tarri is imparted by the ingredients used and not by artificial edible food colouring agents. So a green tarri would be made from green chilies and corriander whereas the black tarri would be made from dry roasted bay-leaf and black pepper as main ingredients. The red tarri as expected would have red-chilli powder.
  • Batata Bhaji (boiled, diced potatoes, spiced with turmeric, chilies, ginger & mustard).
  • Pav (Slice or Laadi)

@NarenChandra @SalmaanN @FazeelUsmani have you had misal as well too, we got a lovely recommendation here.

Level 10

Ummm!! Yummy. Thanks for sharing @Neminath, likely to visit Pune in coming future. I will definitely try Misal Pav. 

#LooksDelicious

Level 10

Hi @HelloSamsonR, I've not been in Pune but likely to visit in future. @Neminath I've tasted the famous Naan Khaliya of Aurangabad, Maharashtra.@

Now I've added Misal to my 'Food to Taste'  list. I will try this definitely.

Level 10

Hi @HelloSamsonR, I've not been to Pune but likely to visit in future. @Neminath I've tasted the Naan Khaliya of Aurangabad, Maharashtra which was very yummy.

Level 10

Hi @HelloSamsonR, I've not been to Pune but likely to visit in future. @Neminath I've tasted the Naan Khaliya of Aurangabad, Maharashtra which was very yummy.

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

@Neminath wrote:

misal.jpg

Ingredients

• Pav (Slice or Laadi)

@NarenChandra @SalmaanN @FazeelUsmani have you had misal as well too, we got a lovely recommendation here.

Level 8

Hi @HelloSamsonR.

Oh. I didn't had Misal yet. I even heard this delicious looking dish name now only. You join with me, Samson we both will go to Pune and see that whether this dish is as delicious and yummy as it looks.😁

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

Vellore Local Guides
Level 6

Hi everyone.

Today, our city (Wakefield) is holding its annual Rhubarb festival 🙂 So If I'm going to recommend something from our city for a visitor to eat, it's got to be rhubarb. Unfortunately outside of this festival, it isn't the easiest thing to find, shops don't stock it fresh, although you might find a few tins. What you will find in supermarkets are rhubarb pies (or crumbles) - this is what I would ask a visitor to try. Best served hot with custard.

I've enclosed a photo from today's rhubarb festival, its a collage of photos actually just to show you the various things that have been done with the vegetable. Rhubarb & vodka cheese, Breads, cakes, Beers, sweets, chocolates... I think they have tried putting rhubarb in everything! 🙂

Do click, but it's a large photo to open

wake rhubarb fest1.jpg