Syed_Ali_Injigaani's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Polo Tournament to start in the world’s highest Polo ground from 22 July 2017

Hello Everyone. This is my first post in this forum. I want to share essentials about Shandur polo carnival of my area. Each July thousands of pilgrims from around the world gather at the world’s highest polo ground situated in district Chitral of North Pakistan at an altitude of 12500 feet near the border of China, Tajikistan and Wakhan.  This is without doubt the highest stadium in the world.  It is believed that in ancient times Animal’s skull and sometimes enemies head served as the ball when Ghangiz Khan captured this part of the world. Later when the British colonized this region they took polo with them to Europe.

Background

Polo is known as the game of kings and king of games. It originated in Central Asia back in 6th Century BC.  It used to be a training game for soldiers with as many as 100 players taking part from each side like a mini battle without any games rule.  There was no time limit and whichever team scored 9 goals first was declared the winner.

Shandur Polo Tournament

Polo tournament was resumed at Shandur in 1936. According to PTDC, A British Political Agent, Major Cobb, who was fond of playing polo under a full moon, had the polo ground near Shandur, named. 'Moony Polo Ground'. 
The most exciting polo tournament of the entire Northern Pakistan, is played on top of Shandur Pass, around 3,700 meters above sea level. It is a place unique and exotic in itself, surrounded by some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the world. The event marks the annual rivalry between the polo teams of Gilgit and Chitral. The Polo tournament has some added attractions for the visitors; trout fishing at the nearby streams and lakes and a festival of folk dances and music of the Northern Pakistan. 
The highlight of the festival is the final match between the Gilgit and Chitral teams. The final provides a most colorful spectacle. Supporters of both sides travel long distances from the remote parts of Chitral and Gilgit, to watch the thrilling game. The event, as such, offers a fascinating insight into the lifestyle of the people of this region. Their culture and indigenous customs are a delight to behold for the visitors

Information for Tourists

It is advised to reach the venue one day in advance.  Apart from polo the following activities take place in the festival.

• Dance and Music
  • Mountaineering
  • Paragliding
  • Trout Fishing
  • Hiking
  • Horse Riding
  • Opportunity to mix with locals

A tent village with restaurant facilities is set up during the tournament. Local products and handicrafts are available in stalls.

If anyone of my readers is interested to visit Shandur for the upcoming festival, you are advised to take a plane from Islamabad which is capital of Pakistan to Chitral. One can also travel to Chitral by road from Islamabad which will take 12 hours to reach. From Chitral you can reach the world’s highest polo ground via jeep covering a distance of 170 KM’s which is very adventurous.

As far as accommodation is concerned, Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation (PTDC) has set up its new motels with all facilities like, attached toilet/bathroom, hot/cold water, restaurant etc, at Panah Kot (Dir), Chitral, Bamburet (Kalash Valley), Besham (KKH), Barseen (KKH) and Gilgit, besides some private hotels.

Finally, it won’t be a bad idea to arrange an unofficial meet up for readers who are willing to travel to this place. It will be an honor for me to host the meet up.  For further quires please don’t hesitate to write to me. Thank you for readingFree Style Polo PlayerFree Style Polo PlayerShandur LakeShandur LakeView of Shandur lake at sun setView of Shandur lake at sun setThe shape of Shandur lake is naturally like the shape of heart. Photo Credits, My beautiful ChitralThe shape of Shandur lake is naturally like the shape of heart. Photo Credits, My beautiful ChitralPlayers and hourses are taking a ten minute breakPlayers and hourses are taking a ten minute breakMusic BandMusic BandA player of Chitral TeamA player of Chitral TeamThe crowed is amazed by the landing para gliderThe crowed is amazed by the landing para gliderA tent house with jeep on the way to ShandurA tent house with jeep on the way to ShandurThis man has take off from the mountain behind him.This man has take off from the mountain behind him.

Shandur
5 comments
Level 7

Re: Polo Tournament to start in the world’s highest Polo ground from 22 July 2017

How to get there by public transportation?

Level 8

Re: Polo Tournament to start in the world’s highest Polo ground from 22 July 2017

Public transport is available from Islamabad to Chitral and Gilgit Baltistan. Once you reach Chitral or Gilgit you have to travel 170 Kms from either side to reach Shandur via rented jeep or public transport. 

Level 10

Too much learned from this post.

Thank you so much for writing in @Syed_Ali_Injigaani.

Pictures are too much fascinating.

Though I can't make my way there but my best wishes are always with you.

Have a good time. Happy polo!

Level 8

Thank you so much bro

Level 8

Depends on from where you are coming. Flights are available to Chitral, from capital city  Islamabad. From Chitral town you can reach the spot by jeep etc.