TorM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

One place of Holocaust - Dachau

I really was not sure, if I should post it here, as my English is not very good and due to language I could hurt some people, as the formulation also in my moth tongue is not always easy. So, if someone believe it is not okay how I write, please comment and I will correct.

——-

I‘m very sad, that we have such places here in Europe. But also this is part of historical legacy when you are German. 

Not really far from my hometown is Dachau.  

Around 80 years ago here has been the start for one of the most known Concentration Camps (KZ) in Germany.

https://goo.gl/maps/ziXBepXNNAzE925A786-E582-4C4C-BE2E-1161D31B1D65.jpeg

Every year this camp has between 1.5 to 2 million visitors. Very often are these groups and school classes from Germany and Europe. I have been here as well during my time in Highschool. My children havn’t been their yet. I will not go with them before they are 16 years, as I believe that I need an ongoing longtime preparation.

Especially the US friends who visited this place with me, are somehow irritated, that now very close to this camp is a normal local environment. But in fact most concentrations camps are now quite close to normal villages and towns. On the map you see a overview of camps in Central Europe. So in Germany and parts of Poland it is nearly not possible to have no housing around.AD3E0C33-46B0-4588-84D9-F1AF0816846F.jpeg

Dachau was a KZ were Germans killed around 43.000 people. Mainly Germans and also Austrians, but as well around 20% Polish people. Jewish people has been here as well, but has been mainly deported from the Concentration Camp Dachau to the Extermination Camps like Buchenwald and Ausschwitz where the Shoah was executed in an way, I cannot imagine, but we need to remember.

A54AF389-93AC-44BB-90B2-E4694940D10E.jpeg

In Dachau were mainly Political Prisoners, Homosexuals, Jehova‘s Witnesses, Sinti and Roma, Clergy.

Not all of these groups got a remaining after the camps liberation. It took many years before the homosexuals get a place of remembering.9F7CD320-1699-4012-A271-43F861A1A71D.jpeg

Still in Germany is sometimes as well a difficult situation for Sinti and Roma group and Jehova‘s Witnesses.

The prisoners were forced to work and also used for Human Experiments.

After they have been murdered they we’re burned.6C30304C-85AB-4429-BAB7-E26BD0326BD3.jpeg

The people mainly died due to planed exhaustion, malnutrition or diseases, but also via human experiments and direct killing. Some prisoners also has been gasified.

B18C751A-E8D5-4647-A92F-4DE12B2F6481.jpeg

A2DEBEEA-16A2-4646-B09A-9B02EC3CDC43.jpeg

On the area you find today mainly places of remember from the different victim groups.

734B0F7B-821C-464F-B147-5CDA05BEEB9D.jpeg

261612E7-FE3E-47C4-8E10-A0C3D362B1F9.jpeg

The barracks do not exist anymore. One remain, to give the visitors an idea how terrible it was.512D7D63-7050-4CA1-B087-0D2C7999C18E.jpeg

87DDFD2B-C9F0-4F00-BC2E-EEEB1653554B.jpeg

Humans did this to Humans! I will not post the pictures you can see during the visit, taken after the liberation of US soldiers.

If you are interested about more details visit 

www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de where you can find much more information.

If you are in Germany visit such a camp. It is part of the history and we are MUST to remember.CA90D7E5-35AD-4FC3-8DA6-DDECE882978F.jpeg

This is an very important part of my countries history and in a way of my grandparents. I learned to live with this, but it will pain forever, what is very important.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Dachau, KZ-Gedenkstätte, Dachau, Deutschland
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: One place of Holocaust - Dachau

Thank you for this post @TorM

There is something that we should always remember. It seems far away now, but it is not, and it is very easy to move, from intolerance to racism, from racism to suprematism, from suprematism to something worse.

In Auschwitz, I wasn't able to take pictures, may be I will be able to do it when we will meet in Krakow in September.

We should all take a few minutes for thinking, when reading this post

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Yes, @ErmesT. It is very important to remember.

On picture 8 (the place for remaining the Jewish victims) is written:

“Strike them with terror, Adona! Let the nations know they are only human. (selah)“ (CJB)

09E179F1-AA5B-4C7C-8F51-61DCC09AA21E.jpeg

It in front of the crematorium:

To honor the dead, to commemorate the living.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TorM,

This is one of the most tragic moments in human history which I also take quite personally. I can never imagine what all of these people went through. Although I've actually heard lots of first-person stories about it because my grandfather was a Dachau survivor. In fact he was imprisoned in two more concentration camps and survived both. Not many others had this fortunate destiny.

I think that preserving these camps as a respectful way to remember the ones who were killed and tortured there is really important. We should never forget what happened.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

I totally agree with the same. Matters to do with racism are still prevalent among ourselves even though we may not accept. i just saw a very disheartening

@ErmesT wrote:

Thank you for this post @TorM

There is something that we should always remember. It seems far away now, but it is not, and it is very easy to move, from intolerance to racism, from racism to suprematism, from suprematism to something worse.

In Auschwitz, I wasn't able to take pictures, may be I will be able to do it when we will meet in Krakow in September.

We should all take a few minutes for thinking, when reading this post

Ermes

story in my country on racism. I can't believe that we still entertain such inhumane actions

Connect Moderator

@NadyaPN

I‘m very sad to here this about your grandfather. I worked with people, who did survive this kind of camps, but as well with children who lost their parents during this genocide. So I have an idea about what you feel.

@KICHAM, you are right. We have to much rassism in the world still.

Here on Localguideconnect I always feel, that ethic, nation, religion, sexuality play a totally different role in a very positive way. It is the diversity that could make the world such beautiful und colorful. 

Level 6

Not somewhere I could personally visit @TorM, I would find it too upsetting. However It doesn't mean I would forget about what happened.

Tragic. What we do to each other.

Google Moderator

Hi @TorM,

Thank you for sharing this piece of history with such respect. There are these places around the world which stand as a reminder of past mistakes that should not be forgotten, nor repeated.

I've never been to a concentration camp site in Germany, but I remember how shook I was when I visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum in Japan. It is right next to the remnants of the Hiroshima Dome, the only building which survived the atomic bomb in 1945, and tells another sad and hideous story from our history.

Just reading your post makes my heart ache. But it is necessary to remember and try to be better to each other.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10