MassTransitKrow's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 5

NYC Subway and SIR Planned Service Changes πŸ“…

Traversing the New York City Subway system has become hellish beyond the eponymous summer months, with decades of disinvestment, competing interests and finger pointing presidential hopefuls attacking everything but the issue at hand.

For the first time since 2016, the subways ridership fell by about 1.4%. That's about 18,000 riders who chose to take other transit options. Most of the losses are occurring on weekends, where the most service changes take place. 

I decided to create a Google Calendar file that highlights the more extensive delays, and make it public and easy to import into Outlook or other calendar programs. Notifications are set thirty minutes before they occur, and the location most pertinent to the service change is included in each entry.

the viewable calendar is here:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=ouh76vca7r0v6a3ks5tnvdapk4%40group.calendar.google.co...

Use the link below to add it as a secondary calendar in either Outlook or Google.

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/ouh76vca7r0v6a3ks5tnvdapk4%40group.calendar.google.com/pub...

Colors are based on the line mentioned in the change. Colors may not import into third party calendars. Event recurrence accounts for service as described. The MTA may amend service changes that I can't match in time. If you want to contribute, send me a Hangout message and I'll add you as author. 

It's important to focus more on the destination rather than the line you wish to take, as it may very well not be running or be rerouted. Subway ambassadors are peppered along affected routes. Please avoid line specific questions as you may confuse yourself, the ambassador or both.

When lines proprietary to a neighborhood aren't in service, fare free shuttle buses mimicking the route are made available at street level. Follow canary yellow signage pointing towards the exits, and do not wait where it says "DISCHARGE ONLY". Similar signage is posted near suspended station stops and is the only location shuttles are allowed to exchange passengers.

If you have an unlimited, you should probably use local bus service to complete your trip. You're more likely to find a seat on a regular bus than a fare free one. 

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow
New York, NY, United States