JeslynL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Myanmar Travel Tips

Hi everyone! I am spending 7 - 9 days in Myanmar. Any recommendations and tips? Where's the best spot to experience Thingyan and how should I prepare for it? Please share your experiences with me!

I'm so excited! 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Myanmar (Burma)
7 comments
Level 8

Re: Myanmar Travel Tips

Dear @JeslynL,

Warmly Welcome from the Golden Land (Myanmar aka Burma)!

Regarding Thingyan, Mandalay would be my first recommendation for this year. As the Mandalay Regional Government and Mandalay City Development Committee is trying their best to celebrate Thingyan Festival uniquely and festively maintaining Myanmar's culture. They have come up with a new theme named "Walk-in Thingyan" - visitors have to walk and enjoy the activities, traditional Thingyan dance and free-of-charge local foods in the festive area. Water will be continuously spraying from the overhead showers along the road. It is quite interesting also for a local like me. According to the news, the Walk-in Thingyan will be held on the 26th Road (21.982358, 96.098402) which is just next to the Mandalay Palace. The central stage will be in that area. A lot of entertainment stages and water playing areas will also be included. Please take a look at the following pictures; sketch and preparations.

A sketch of Walk-in Thingyan Area, MandalayA sketch of Walk-in Thingyan Area, MandalayCurrent Status of Decoration in the festival areaCurrent Status of Decoration in the festival area

Therefore, I hope Mandalay will also be crowded with local visitors during Thingyan. You should secure your accommodation first if you decided to visit Mandalay. We (me and my friends Google Local Guides) can recommend very nice places to stay at Mandalay.

Sincerely,

Zaw Linn Htet

Level 7

မန္တလေးသင်္ကြန်ကိုလာမယ်ဆိုရင်တော့ သတိထားစရာက ထွေထွေထူးထူးမရှိပါဘူး ဒေသခံတွေက နိုင်ငံခြားသားဆိုရင် စချင်ကြတယ် စတဲ့အခါစိတ်မဆိုးမိဖို့နဲ့ မူးနေတဲ့သူဆို ရှောင်တတ်ဖို့လောက်ပါပဲ မန္တလေးမှာ အပူချိန်ကများတဲ့အတွက် အပူဒဏ်ခံရမှာကိုလဲ သတိထားသင့်ပါတယ်

@ZawLinnHtet@MyoKyawZinThant Ahhh I went everywhere EXCEPT Mandalay! I was around Nyaung Shwe, Nyaung-U and Yangon for Thingyan and it was so fun! I got chased by many children who couldn't wait throw their buckets of water at me. I will definitely be back at Myanmar very soon and Mandalay will be my first stop, for sure! 

Thank you for sharing the information with me, it's lovely. I am now back home from Myanmar and already can't wait to go back. It's such a friendly and welcoming place. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Connect Moderator

@JeslynL hi 

You may get more help from Myanmar Local Guides

Otherwise 

We are Waiting for you also and you are most welcome to our country , Because We are very close to Myanmar. 

Shafiul, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Level 8

With 7-9 days you might have enough time to do 4 main tourist centres of Yangon, Mandalay, Inle Lake and Bagan.

My biggest recommendation above all else is you must visit Bagan. It's 1 of the most spectacular places I have ever visited and maybe the most spectacular place that nobody has ever heard off. It's over 4000 temples, in various states, in a roughly 40 square km region.

It is absolutely amazing.

Level 8

Oh too late! 😑

Well for anybody else who sees this go to Bagan!

@Cooker3 I did go to Bagan, fortunately! But on the downside, on the day that I set out to see the sunrise and sunset, the sun didn't show! 😞 It was cloudy during sunrise and by sunset, it looked like it was gonna storm. It was my last day in Bagan so I didn't get to experience the amazing sunrise/sunset from the top of any pagodas, meh. And yes, I have to agree that Bagan is one of its kind (Old Bagan is so, so stunning especially with the history that comes with it), probably the most memorable part of my trip. 🙂 

IMG_2374.JPG