Gowtham2005's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My take : Is Zostel new way of staying for Backpackers in India

Am a frequent traveler and i backpack  to travel new places most of the time even when i get two days of leave or holidays .

One of the  major challenge i face  during backpacking is accommodation . Till a couple of years back i was only dependent on some budget hotels for stay even though i never liked  them due to the condition and maintenance of those .

During 2016 i came to know about Zostel model of hosteling during my MBA .I was shocked how highly  many people talked about it .Initially i though even theses places  will be filled by non tourists due to their low price tag and the main purpose zostel may  go in vain , but i was wrong 

I slowly understood that Brand Zostel is just like how backpacker hostel works in countries of Europe.While earlier i struggled finding decent guesthouses or budget hotels in the middle of night but zostel changed my way of staying while backpacking .This way it changes travel in India in a big way 

First i wanted to know for myself how zostel turns out in real and how it feels like  .Immediately i packed my bags and went to Jaipur for solo trip .Zostel Jaipur is just walk-able distance from famous Hawa mahal .I had my  booking for 2 days stay and shown my booking mail to receptionist after the formality process . receptionist took me around the zostel and explained all facilities and shown my bedding area in  6 bed Mixed Dorm room.Few interesting information & facilities are like below :

• They have options for mixed dorms and separate dorm rooms for females .Dorms are either 4 bedded or 6 bedded or 8 bedded .Price goes slightly up when the numbers of bedding per dorm is goes lower .usually cost per bed ranges from INR 300 to 500
  • They also had one private room with balcony which ranges from INR 1800 to INR 2000. But i simply didn't get reason of its existence.
  • All dorms are completely A/c and all areas have free Wifi ( Wifi speeds are good enough ) 
  • Sheets &  blankets included , one locker per person is given but we have to bring our own lock or we can buy from them basic lock for around 30 bucks .
  • They have canteen area with all required amenities , where we can bring our stuff and cook but they don't have cook for lunch or dinner . They provide breakfast at fixed price which was good  ( includes bread , jam , toast , boiled eggs , milk , corn flakes & Banana  )
  •  They have a big common room which has bean bags , sofas etc for sitting and two computer system with internet  and some good books to read 
  • They do not allow family booking & children ( strictly for young travelers or people who are young at heart ). Their sole purpose is for travelers only 

Now coming to the main topic,  as per my experience Zostel is not just a hostel for travelers but it is all about social experience .What started as a " cheap lodging for travelers " has evolved.  Now some times a villa on rent on airbnb can be at same cost as zostel if not cheaper but you might not make any friends .Staying at Zostel was much part of a backpacking experience  and it allows us to connect to more fellow travelers 

One more interesting point :  SOLO Female travelers

I know for my self during many discussions that for solo female travelers  safe accommodation is a major issue and Zostel had a step ahead in solving this . As per zostel statistics  they had hosted more that 75000 + happy female travelers . They offer female only dorms which is not usual in hostel industry . 

Since from my first visit to zostel Jaipur in 2016 to till now i had gone to few more zostels like zostel in  Agra , udaipur ,Chennai , Delhi , Goa  & most recent to Mumbai !!. Experience at all these places is very good and when ever i enter a  zostel my excitement for travelling further increase due to feel  from fellow zostelrs .

Recently zostel had started a program called passport which costs for INR 500 with which we get basic discounts at all zostels and some perks .

Link for zostel website :  lwww.zostel.com

I hope my story helps  fellow backpackers.  

Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
1 comment
Level 6

Re: My take : Is Zostel new way of staying for Backpackers in India

That's a great write up Gowtham2005 🙂

Moustache is another hostel brand that gets rave reviews on Trip Advisor.