dhruvarajS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapping and correcting Sabarimala Traditional Trekking path from Erumeli

Hi, Sabarimala is a hill top, forest temple in the state of Kerala, India. Pilgrims walk along a 35Km forest trail to reach Sabarimala. I did this 19 years back when there was no google maps on proper route map without knowing the actual distance covered or remaining till the end. Now the trail is marked in the google maps but some places are missing or the tracks being not drawn correctly in some places. This time GPS tracking is done to get the actual route here is what I tracked. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nr-q4M8BJ0iqAyxLS-B5S2LGvwQYP9ao&usp=sharing

Sabarimala, Kerala, India
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Mapping and correcting Sabarimala Traditional Trekking path from Erumeli

@dhruvarajS Good job on this. I have not been up there myself. 

How long ago was your trek logged? 

And whether this is the only path that's available? (most of the existing lines on Maps are roughly nearby except for a few areas which deviates quite a bit)

Level 8

HI Steve, it is logged on 18th and 19th of November 2017, using Samsung S8, From Erumeli to Pamba alternate traditional walking path is not available since deviation from the path is restricted by forest department, but there is road for vehicle movement which follows a different route.

Level 8

Wow, excellent work there. It was really a good presence of mind that should have made you do this. Really a brilliant job to keep GPS on and tracking it. I hope this data gets updated in the maps so that the people who travel to Sabarimala in the future will have the correct route map on google map.

Level 7

A Very good move something the government should have done hats of to you dear