SachinR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Lovely kundapura

Kundapura is a coastal place situated in southern part of India,Karnataka.The name Kundapura [Kannada] can be traced to the Kundeshwar temple built by Kundavarma in the vicinity of the 'panchagangavali' river.The name of the town may be derived from Kundavarma who ruled the area. kunda means 'pillar' in Kannada which refers to the traditional method of constructing houses. Pura means town. Kundapura is surrounded by water from three sides. To the north lies the Panchagangavali river. To the east lies the Kalaghar river. To the west lies the Kodi back waters and the Arabian sea,leaving the south side as the main connecting land mass. All connecting roads to Kundapura enter the city from southern direction. North side of the town is vast backwaters of Panchagangavali river and a bridge has been constructed across it .People here are so friendly and helpful most of the tradition are still followed here that's why it has been called as 'Land of South Canara'.

Kundapura, Karnataka, India
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Lovely kundapura

Hi @SachinR nice post and I've been to Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, North India. but not visited Karnataka. I'm visiting India this year (Southern part) and like to go Tirupathi also. I will try to visit Kundeshwar temple if time permits 🙂

could you please share some photographs of this temple if you have any? thank you

Level 4

Sure do visit it's a nice temple @IlankovanT.@This temple is dedicated to Lord Kundeshwara [Lord shiva].The main deity Kundeshwara is enshrined in the black stone in 'Garbha griha'.The Shiva Linga is about 4feet high. Only 75% of it is visible and the rest is under the earth.The main festival of the temple is the 'Kundeshwara Deepotsava' celebrated with great devotion. This festival attracts huge number of devotees . Thank you:Screenshot_20170428-155219~2.png

Screenshot_20170428-155145~2.png

Level 9

@SachinR wow. Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing this 🙂

Level 4

@IlankovanT my pleasure 🙂