Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Local Guiding in Another City

Have you ever lived in another city outside of your home city or traveled to another city so many times that you know it so well? I have been very fortunate to live in a few different cities in the last five years or so and have discovered some favourite spots while living there. I've also had the opportunity to travel to the San Francisco Bay Area numerous times for various occasions, and have had some locals there that have shown me some amazing spots. I've previously biked the Golden Gate Bridge too, so some of the tips, I have to credit @iyudhi

Over the US Memorial Weekend, a long time friend of mine invited me to join in on her wedding festivities in the SF Bay Area and she also invited another mutual friend of mine who has never been to US before. But since she was very busy with her wedding planning, I took our mutual friend for a quick sightseeing bike tour. We were staying in south bay, but what trip would be complete without seeing the Golden Gate Bridge, so one afternoon, I drove my friend up there for our bike tour.

First off, we stopped by Arsicault Bakery for some yummy croissants, how will you have energy, if you don't eat??? =D

Plain croissant. Looks plain but so yummy.Plain croissant. Looks plain but so yummy.

This bike tour was super quick and not very difficult to do. We stopped at Sports Basement for bike rentals. They do 3 hour bike rentals and this was really all the time we had as we had other things planned for our 1 day in SF City trip. It's great to know other Local Guides in the other cities and then that way I can take some of the knowledge and share it with my other circles of friends. But anyway, we opted for the electric bikes because from my previous experience, unless if you're a frequent cyclist, the hills in SF are not fun! The process of renting bikes was super fast and simple, once you've paid, you're good to walk out with the bikes. Plus, you'll get a 20% off coupon for anything in the store afterwards!

Getting to the Golden Gate Bridge is really easy, the bike trail is literally right outside of the store and you just follow over to get to Crissy Field for some initial photos of the bridge.

You can see Karl hovering over the bridge.You can see Karl hovering over the bridge.

We proceeded up the hill towards the bridge. At this point, we saw a number of people walking their bikes, but not an issue at all with electric bikes!! A ton of signs are visible, so it is easy to follow the bike path to get to the bridge. Cyclists are on one side of the bridge while pedestrians are on the other side of the bridge. As you cycle across the bridge, it can get really windy, so come prepared with layers. Karl (the fog) is still lurking over the top of the bridge.

And over the bridge we go!And over the bridge we go!

After crossing the bridge, this time, I decided to cycle up to Marin Headlands with my friend for a different view of the bridge. I've only been here by car and there is so much traffic, so I said to my friend, we will go there with our bikes and it won't be an issue at all with the electric bikes! It was super easy and the bikes actually have different modes to give you more power. Right after the bridge, there were signs that directly us where to go and in no time, we got a completely different view of the bridge.

Golden Gate Bridge and SF City in the Back (Marin Headlands).Golden Gate Bridge and SF City in the Back (Marin Headlands).

After taking a number of photos of the bridge from this angle, we then proceed to cycle to Sausalito. This is a very quaint waterfront town with tons of motorboat homes on the water. There is even one that was inspired by the Taj Mahal!

My friend and I in front of the Taj Mahal inspired motorboat home.My friend and I in front of the Taj Mahal inspired motorboat home.

We walked around with our bikes a bit in the area just to enjoy the scenery and to soak up the atmosphere of this waterfront town. Following this, it was time to make our way back. But before not before capturing a photo of the bridge from this angle.

From the north east side of the bridge.From the north east side of the bridge.

We managed to also sneak in the view from south west side of the bridge as well. So on this super quick trip, we managed to see the bridge from all four sides! 

From the south west side of the bridge.From the south west side of the bridge.

Then we headed back to the store as we needed to return our bikes. And of course...we rewarded ourselves with some shopping, or at least I did. Let's not go into how much money I then spent in the store... =D

I cannot claim to be a Local Guide in the SF Bay Area, but thanks to a previous experience with Local Guides, I had a great time showing my friend from Singapore around. We may not know all the best spots, but we definitely had a great time enjoying what San Francisco city had to offer!

What about you? Have you had the chance to discover a city that isn't your home town? If so, what are your experiences?? 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA, USA
22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Local Guiding in Another City

This is nearly the identical trip to that Kim Flowers and I did in 2016. Did you get your bikes from Dylans?

Love the TraciC inspired jumping @Shirley

🙂

Connect Moderator

Renting the electric bike definitely sounds the best plan @Shirley 😄 Gotta try it out myself one of these days..

Connect Moderator

@Shirley, I love your post really. I lived already in 14 different cities and 5 different countries (no big issue in Europe) for more than 6 month. 

Their is always something to discover and learn from other people, cultures and religions. 

In fact the door opener is always food. As well the regional in one country can be very different.

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

It's a fun route @PaulPavlinovich! My friend absolutely loved it. We were going to take the ferry back, but he asked if we can cycle again and I said, sure why not! We got the bikes from Sports Basement! 

@TorM, Thank you for your kind words! I'm so jealous that you get to live all around Europe. Would be a dream of mine one day if that is possible!

Haha yes, @iyudhi, electric bikes are the way to go in the city! =P

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

@Shirley

It sounds like a home away from home 🙂

Connect Moderator

Actually, @Shirley, I am living in 3 places at the same time 😀

My official home is in Belgium, but a lot of time I am in the Ruhr area in Germany, where I work, and in the Hunsrück area (also in Germany) where we have a house where we rent out some rooms. And I enjoy local guiding in all 3 areas.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 9

Wow @JanVanHaver!!! That is amazing and awesome for you to be able to be in different places. What an amazing lifestyle you have!

Level 10

@Shirley yes . 2 place One in  Bangladesh another division  "Chittagong" and another one India " kolkata " with amitesh and other . personal job / Project  and other personal task purpose stay there and weekend or after office hour trailing city and plan promoting LG in that area .

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

What a fun day @Shirley I'm glad you told us about it, it's a great experience! Thanks 🙂