Ivo9's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Kalofer - the medieval center of Bulgarian life, economy and culture

Kalofer is a town in southern Bulgaria. It is located in the Municipality of Karlovo, Plovdiv District. It is 156 km east of the capital Sofia, 22 and 17 km in the same direction, respectively from the town of Sopot and the town of Karlovo and 65 km northeast of Plovdiv. The town is a point from the sub-Balkan railway and the Sofia-Burgas line. Kalofer borders with the villages: Osetenovo (to the east) and Kurtovo and Vasil Levski (to the west).

IMG_20160423_173220837_HDR.jpg  IMG_20160423_174355708.jpg

The town of Kalofer is situated at the foot of the southern slopes of Kalofer mountain (part of the Central Stara Planina Mountain), in a small valley extension of the river Tundzha, which runs through the town. The average altitude of the settlement is 600 m. From the west it is surrounded by the Krаstec ridge (Straja), connecting the Balkan Mountains with the Sarnena (Eastern) Sredna Gora Mountain. To the northwest of Kalofer is the highest mountain of Stara Planina - Botev peak (2376 m). In the immediate vicinity of the town is the National Park "Central Balkan", to which it is a kind of entrance. The beautiful surroundings are picturesque and unique places like the meadows of "Chafadaritsa"; the slopes of Djendema, Kupena, and Tundja; the river "Byala" with waterfalls, among which is the highest waterfall on the Balkan peninsula - Rayskoto praskalo (124.5 meters).
Natural conditions favor the viewing of an oil-bearing rose (Kalofer is located in the Valley of Roses), lavender, potatoes, and herbs. The lush and green pastures around the countryside and the abundance of water are a good prerequisite for the development of livestock farming, which until the past was well covered.

There are several versions of the origin of the city's name. According to one, it comes from the Greek word "kalo" (good, good). But it is more important that the city bears the name of the Kalifer voivoda, which, according to the legend, laid the foundations of today's settlement.

Its historical existence, Kalofer, began in the 16th century. We find written information about it in an Ottoman tax register dating back to 1576, which is referred to as the Kauffer dervent. This document confirms that at that time Kalofer has the status of a dervent village, whose inhabitants are involved in guarding the passage.

During the Renaissance, in the first half of the 19th century, Kalofer, as well as all our sub-Balkan cities, reached its spiritual and economic growth. Travelers note that there are more than 1,000 guillotine chutes, many mosquito nets, and painters. The big economic upturn reflects the cultural life of the village in the most beneficial way.

In Kalofer he teaches a whole array of Renaissance enlighteners: Neofit Bozveli, Botyo Petkov, Hristo Botev, Ivan Vazov, Ivan Chunchev, D. Fingov and others.
The children of Kalofer are a number of eminent scholars and public figures from the Revival period: Ekzarh Iosif I, Dimitar Mutev, Elena Muteva (first Bulgarian poet), Hristo Tapchileshtov, Ivan Shopov (folklorist and first Bulgarian bibliographer) and others.

IMG_20160423_173202428_HDR.jpg  IMG_20160423_172936434_HDR.jpg  IMG_20160423_173010450_HDR.jpg  IMG_20160423_172904172_HDR.jpg

But the most famous son of Kalofer is the poet and revolutionary Hristo Botev, born on 25 December 1847 in the family of the teacher Botyo Petkov. Today, the home of the great Bulgarian in the center of the city has been transformed into the National Museum "Hristo Botev". The authentic building burned during the burning of the town in 1877 but was later restored in its original form, by the memories of the brother of the poet, Kiril Botev. The house-museum opened in the summer of 1944.

Kalofer can also be proud of his four churches in the National Revival:
The church "St. Atanasii "
The Church of St. Archangel Michael

IMG_20160423_172721017.jpg

The Church of Our Lady (Assumption) is located in the central part of the town of Kalofer. It was built in 1848 on the ruins of an existing old church.
The church "St. Nativity of Christ and Holy Martyrs Kozma and Damian "

Kalofer is also known for his old-fashioned traditions. One of the most attractive events uniting the men of the whole city is the casting of the cross in the icy waters of Tundja of Epiphany and the subsequent "male horo," which is also played in the river.

men horo.jpg

ivo9
Калофер, България
15 comments
Level 9

Rose in Bulgaria.

Hello my dear friend,

Bulgaria is famous for roses and rose oil and some rose products. Imagine yourself in the blossom and tender fragrance of Rose Valley.

I would like to share some photos.rose products.rose products.IMG_20180806_180217.jpgIMG_2018080.jpgIMG_20180806_180209.jpg

Watch my album--https://photos.app.goo.gl/KFvLarRLhfj6RwrUA

Bulgarian roses.

To @Gio51x

@JaneBurunina@Rezgar,

@NadyaPN

@TorM

@ErmesT

Connect Moderator

Re: Rose in Bulgaria.

Thank you @helga19. I have bad internet connection.... Flowers make 

@ErmesT always happy, so I tag him here 😉

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Former Google Contributor

Thank you for sharing @helga19!

Roses are a big deal in Bulgaria, indeed. Every year there is a rose festival in Kazanlak in May a beauty queen of roses is chosen. Its really a magical view.

I'm merging your post with Kalofer - the medieval center of Bulgarian life, economy and culture. I think you will find a common topic with @Ivo9.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Thanks @IrrPavlova 

have a nice day today!

Level 10

Thank you for sharing @helga19

Best Regards
Rezgar

Awesome pictures, @helga19! Thanks for tagging me. Did you visit our beautiful country recently? 🙂 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 9

Hello dear @NadyaPN

Yes,I visited Bulgaria recently,at the beginning of August.I visited Burgas,Nesebar,St.Vlas,Sunny Beach.I live in Cascadas Family Resort with my daugther and her family.was a pleasant time!IMG_20180807_184302_101.jpgIMG_20180807_155154-EFFECTS.jpg

That's awesome, @helga19! I'm really glad that you had a good time. Hope you have nice end of the summer!

Level 9

Thanks dear @NadyaPN

I wish you the best summer days and bright impressions.