ArielleM_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Jersey City Heights - Best Quick Bites

Jersey City is certainly on the map, but, you won't hear much about the Heights ( spans from the border of Union City to Journal Square) unless you're originally from the area. Growing up in the Heights provided a unique experience for a first-generation Indo-Trinidadian American girl. Despite what was going on around me, there were three spots I knew I could turn to for some great quick bites along a busy avenue.

Blimpie has been a staple in my life since the time I was allowed to walk down the street on my own. I've made it my life's mission to seek out and try any Blimpie establishment wherever I went, and this is hands-down the best place to get your cold turkey foot long sandwich with Swiss and provolone - peppers on the side. Second to none, the only competitor is Blimpie in Bayonne which was just recently closed down. The service is quick, efficient and generally what you'd expect from your local sandwich eatery. 

Pollo Supremo on Central Avenue is another example of somewhere that can transform the value of your city in an instant. If you don't have a Pollo Supremo nearby or readily accessible, I couldn't consider living in close proximity. The menu consists of a variety of authentic Latin comfort foods including their specialty flame roasted chicken. The flavoring is bold and every meal lives up to your expectations each time. The boiled yucca (casava) and mojo (olive oil, onion, garlic, citrus sauce) are mandatory for any meal I order along with sweet plantains and mixed rice.  Be sure to ask for your side of jalapeños for an extra kick!

Finally, Jade's Garden is a great stop for your typical Chinese food at a fair price. My usual order includes hot and sour soup, fried tofu in garlic sauce and vegetable lo mein. From order to pick-up, the wait time is minimal and the food is always more than satisfying. This is the perfect place to visit for good food in a hurry. 

If you're ever in the Jersey City Heights area, you can begin at crossing of North and Central, and finish near the Stop and Shop by Franklin. This'll give you a short tour of the strip and take you down my childhood memory lane. 

Central Avenue, Jersey City, NJ, USA
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Jersey City Heights - Best Quick Bites

Hi @ArielleM_! Welcome to connect! And thanks for sharing these tips!
I've been in NJ some years ago, but I had not any suggestions... so I just drove around without any guide 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hey @LucioV! Thanks for your comment and kind welcome! I do hope this quick guide helps. I'll be writing more about Jersey City in the upcoming weeks, so keep posted. I'll be sure to add suggestions for great eateries and social hotspots. You can check out my latest reviews of Skinner's Loft and Talde in Downtown, Jersey City too. Enjoy!

Googler

Oohhhh, @ArielleM_! I forgot Jersey City has a Talde now. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the one in Brooklyn. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Hi @ArielleM_

Welcome to the connect,it's nice to have you here 😄,

Actually,I never knew about the information which you write in your post about jersey city,the places you recommend for quick bites are must visit places,but blimpie attract me more ,

Thanks for sharing such informative and helpful post.

Have a nice day