JessicaA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Heading to Rome? Be sure to add these dining spots to your list

I fell in love with Rome after I spent a semester studying abroad in the eternal city many years ago.  Since then, I make sure to get back at least a couple times of year.  If you find yourself planning a trip, finding authentic Roman food can be quite daunting -- especially among tourist havens like the Spanish Steps and Colosseum.  Below are a few of my tried and true favorites that will not disappoint:

Trapizzino - a play on Pizza in the Testaccio neighborhood.  Triangular crusty on the outside soft in the inside, individual 'pizza' pockets that are stuffed with traditional Roman fillings -- choices change daily and range from chicken cacciatore, meatballs, eggplant, coda alla vaccinara and more.  They also have perfect to go containers made specifically for each trapizzino making it easy to take away. 

Via Giovanni Branca, 88

(Closed Mondays)

https://goo.gl/maps/hpAvEp3qam82

Trattoria da Cesare al Casaletto - Slighty out of the center but extremely accessible by tram is this wonderful classic Roman trattoria.  Pastas (the usual suspects, carbonara, cacio e peppe, amatriciana, alla gricia) and fried starters are my favorites.

Via del Casaletto, 45

Closed Wednesdays

https://goo.gl/maps/F1LH8Rzt1rR2

Roscioli Ristorante/Salumeria - A salumeria and restaurant in one near Campo dei Fiori - Large menu with delicious starters, meats and cheeses and traditional Roman pastas. They also have a 'forno roscioli' or bakery a few doors down with delicious pastries and pizza bianca / rossa (typical breakfast of Romans)

Via dei Giubbonari, 21/22

Closed Sundays

https://goo.gl/maps/zsSfhvTQCrG2

Pizzarium - The ultimate place to go for 'pizza al taglio' or pizza by the slice in Rome.  Gabriele Bonci, also known as the 'Michelangelo of pizza' always has delectable and seasonal creations charged by the kilo.  They also have beer and wine available -- it's a small place but depending on the time you can snag a place at the counter outside.

Via della Meloria, 43

Open daily

https://goo.gl/maps/ZU8xAH59pLG2

Armando al Pantheon - one of the best in the center that happens to be near the Pantheon yet still remains reliable and a favorite among locals. Fresh pastas and Roman classics like coda alla vaccinara are standouts.  Definitely book at least a week in advance. 

Salita dei Crescenzi, 31

Closed Saturday dinner and Sunday 

https://goo.gl/maps/2F3sEmBEQXo

4 comments
Googler

Re: Heading to Rome? Be sure to add these dining spots to your list

@JessicaA You're making me want to book a trip to Italy ASAP! I've never been but I've starred the places you've recommended for sure. Would love to hear what our Italian Local Guides recommend, too! 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 10

Great @JessicaA i can confirm!!! You are really a local!

I suggest you to try also pizza at Sbanco, a brand new place opened by Stefano Callegari, the man behind Trapizzino!

Former Google Contributor

Thanks for sharing these great recs @JessicaA 🙂 

Level 3

I've been leaving in Rome for two years now, in a beautiful local neighbourhood which happens to be the up-and-coming place for great restaurants (basically around Piazza Vescovio, which is North of Villa Borghese and just East of Villa Ada). Here are some spots I would definitely recommend:

• Stella Gemella: This is a family-run pizzeria-ristorante which serves the pizza either alta (thick) or bassa (thin), and has a clean, homely feel. Besides the pizza, you need to try the pasta they make. They make the most subtle gnocchi filled (yes, filled!) with mushrooms! I'm not a big fan of gnocchi in general, but theirs made me come back the next day for more. The service is great and the prices are incredibly reasonable (for an appetiser, a main course, dessert and drink, you'd probably spend around 25 EUR).
  • Ristorante Campisi: A higher-class Their menu changes a lot, but the risotto I had when I was there was simply exquisite.
  • Il Giardino della Pizza: The best pizza al taglio, hands down! There are two main ways to eat pizza in Italy: the fancy way or the street way. This is the street way and it's known as pizza al taglio because they cut you (tagliare) a slice however big or small. A lot of Italians have lunch or dinner during workdays here and if you come on the weekend it's packed. It's super affordable, too! You can binge eat and still only pay 8 EUR 😉 
  • Gelateria Lanzalotto: The best Italian gelato in the area, period. The fruit flavours are especially delicious (melon, pear and banana are my favourites).

This is just a little sneak peak, but I hope you find it helpful 😉

Cheers,

Rodrigo