iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

General Tips & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

Whenever I go back home to visit my family, I always have a layover in Tokyo. Rather than trying to find the shortest layover time, I usually try to find the longest time. Sometimes I even extend the trip to 2-3 days so I can roam around the city a bit more. It's come to the point where I was offered a 3 year visa when I applied for a transit visa, after the Japanese Consulate in SF found out I've been in the country for so many times these past few years.

Over the few years, I've noticed some things that might be helpful for those visiting Japan for the first time.

• Buy a transit card: I'm ashamed that I didn't learn this much earlier. When you go to Japan, you will go at least for a few train rides. If you don't have a transit card, you will have to fumble with your coins to buy tickets every time. Save yourself sometime and buy a Suica or a Pasmo card. It's a 500 yen deposit for the card, and you can get it back when when you return the card (I kept one for collection). Also another good thing is you can use these cards on vending machines or make a purchase at convenience stores. If you get a JR pass, then you can use it as well for certain routes. What's a JR pass you ask? Please read below 🙂
  • Get JR pass: JR pass is an affordable way for foreigners to travel around Japan using trains. You get to pay a rate that will make Japanese envious. Yes, JR pass is only available for foreigners. If you plan to travel to a few cities to, say, Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka, then come back, it's definitely worth it. My suggestion is to plan your trip, then research on how much your train rides will cost, then compare to the price of JR pass, and see which one is cheaper. Keep in mind you can't buy a JR pass in Japan. You need to buy it from the country where you live (or anywhere outside Japan), bring the receipt, then exchange it for the pass at the JR station in Japan.

You can just wave this as you pass the gateYou can just wave this as you pass the gate

• Stand on one side of the escalator: This will be something you'll pick up very quickly upon your arrival in Japan, but I still often see ignorant tourists not paying attention. In the Kanto region (Tokyo, for example), people stand on the left on the escalator, and the right side is used for walking. On the Kansai region (like Osaka, Kyoto), it's the other way around. Stand on the right, and walk on the left. Honestly, the easiest way is just to see what everyone in front of you are doing and follow the same way.
  • Don't smoke or throw trash while walking: Japan is a very clean city. Everywhere I walk the roads are very clean, even though there aren't many trash bins. There are also designated spots for smoking. Let's keep it that way.

• There's a reason why this sign was made with multiple languages.There's a reason why this sign was made with multiple languages. 
  • Keep a coin pouch: Coins in Japan are very valuable, as they worth quite a lot. Their biggest coin value is 500 yen, which can get you a regular sized beef bowl (gyudon) at Yoshinoya. I have my own mechanism (yay for extra pockets!) for handling coins, but I really suggest to bring a coin pouch since you will have lots of them.
  • Don't make loud noises in the trains: It's pretty common to see the sign of a cellphone crossed in red. That means you're not allowed to make phone calls during train rides. For some long distance trips, people usually go to the end of the hallway to take phone calls, as not to disturb other passengers. It's just common courtesy. With that said,
  • No photos in some restaurants: I don't see a lot of these in general, but it caught me off guard a few times, so it's always good to pay attention. I was eating at a sushi restaurant, and I wouldn't call it an upscale place, but it's definitely on the higher end. As what Local Guides do, I took snaps of my photo to upload to Maps, and I can feel the sushi chef was glaring at me (I sat at the counter bar). I didn't feel like I was doing anything wrong, so I didn't read too much into it. After I finished my meal, I paid, and noticed there's a sign with camera crossed in red on the far end of the restaurant. Ooops. Let's just say I walked out feeling embarrassed.
  • Tuna auction - caution! For those of you visiting Tokyo, you might be interested to visit the Tsukiji fish market, which is the biggest fish market in the world. Some of you might be interested for watching the tuna action. If you're very dedicated, there's an official way to watch the tuna auction. Arrives as early as 3am, and there will be two sets of 60 people that will be allowed to watch for a particular day. I never tried to do this, so I don't know the details, unfortunately. But please keep in mind that private tours are not sanctioned by the market (and you might get scammed!). I have to admit I did the private tour with my group a few years back, but luckily we didn't get in trouble (we didn't go to the tuna auction, but we did go to the uni auction). I wouldn't do it again though.

• HuIPHne

• Try to finish your food: - I was actually told this by another Local Guide. People in Japan don't usually ask for to go box. They will try to finish the food, and if there are leftovers, just leave it and say something like "The food was very good, but I'm already very full", or something in the line of that.
  • Get used to line up: Lining up is a big thing in Japan, especially for popular stuff. Walking around, you will see many places have people lining up, either to wait for a spot in a restaurant, or waiting for a place to be opened (or waiting in line to get a lottery to buy a Nintendo Switch). Please respect the others and line up in orderly fashion when you do this, as line cutters will not be tolerated.The queue for Sushi Dai. This was 5am in the morning. No I'm not kidding.The queue for Sushi Dai. This was 5am in the morning. No I'm not kidding.

• Exchange money: When you exchange money, try and see if you can get some 1000 yen bills, especially if you're at the airport. You won't be able to use a 10000 yen bills to buy a train ticket from vending machines
  • Bring your passport while shopping: A lot of places will offer you tax refund if your purchase is above certain amount (usually it's 5000-6000 yen). Keep in mind that you can't collect all your receipts and get a tax refund at the airport. You can only do this at the shops you make the purchases from, and to do this, you need to show your passport. Tax for goods is 8%, so it adds up pretty quickly.
  • Use the phone provided in your hotel room: I've noticed during my previous stays that certain hotels will now provide you with a phone with a local sim card that you can use during your stay. This is particularly useful if you need to make local phone calls or look for directions.

• 62BcOGb

• Bonus - Eat your sampler on the spot: I debated whether to include this or not, but I figure might as well. When you visit some tourist spots, like Asakusa temple, there will be a lot of food vendors in the street leading up to the temple. These food vendors sometimes will offer you small pieces of what they're selling (snacks) on a toothpick. If you decide to try it, don't take it and then walk away. Eat the sampler, and return the toothpicks to the them. Most likely they'll have a bin nearby to collect them. I actually saw some tourists got yelled at for not doing this, so I figure I'd point it out.

Ok, I wasn't expecting for this post to be this long. Hope you guys find it useful. Also, please keep in mind that I'm not Japanese, and I've only been to Japan as a tourist, so apologies if there are any mistakes. If any of you find something that's incorrect, or want to add something, please let me know in the comment below and I will fix/add (with credits of course).

@YumiSapporo @Atsukot  @HiroyukiTakisawa @MasaruKamikura  Can you let me know if there's anything from this that's incorrect? Curious to know what you think of it 🙂

Japan
46 comments
Googler

Re: General TIps & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

Hi @iyudhi. It's as though you wrote this post for me and my upcoming trip to Japan. Thank you SO much!!!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Former Google Contributor

Hello @iyudhi - Great tips for people who are going visit Japan! This post is definitely very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel your love of Japan 🙂 

I just want to add the follwoings:

• Get JR (Japan Rail) Pass

US green card holders used to be able to get the pass, but unfortunately not anymore 😞 The Japan Rail Pass is now only available for non-Japanese nationals who visit Japan for short visits -- less than 90 days.

• Don't smoke or throw trash while walking:

Non-smoking areas are becoming increasingly common in Japan. If you are smoker, please check sighs. Some restaurants/cafes offer a smoking section.

• Try to finish your food

I was at a restaurant in Tokyo with a non-Japanese friend who wanted take her leftovers with her, so I asked a waiter if she could have a box. However, he explained to me that they don't let customers take leftovers because they don't know how customers will keep the food – if the food spoils and a customer gets food poisoning, the restaurant may have to close for inspection by the health department.

• Get used to lining up:

“Please respect others and line up in orderly fashion, as line-cutters will not be tolerated.” Thank you (THANK YOU) for mentioning this!!! Also - I want to add subways and buses. Please line up for subways and buses to get on. Don’t cut ahead in the line.

Connect Moderator

@TraciC hahah! Have fun on your upcoming Japan trip (so jealous btw 😛 )

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the additions @Atsukot! I will add them later on today in my post.

Hmm.. I wasn't aware that green card holders aren't now allowed to buy JR pass now... that's no good :(. Although I'm now thinking, how would they know if we have a green card, unless we voluntarily show them the card. There shouldn't be any sign of it from the passport right?

Former Google Contributor

Sorry for the confusion! @iyudhi, I was talking about Japanese who have a US green card. If you are the US green card holder who have a non-Japanese passport, you can definitely get the JR Pass 🙂 More info, please check out a Japan Rail Pass site. 

Level 10

Re: General Tips & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

@iyudhi That's great report!

Additional tips and idea from me...

If you're thinking of visiting Japan sometime, you should consider renting a car, especially if you want to visit Hokkaido or Okinawa and you can buy the discount express way pass.

http://en.driveplaza.com  

The Hokkaido express way pass is so reasonable! I want to buy it if I could! (^o^)

Please think about renting a car next time you visit Japan. @iyudhi

PASMO and Suica can be used even inside a holder by touching it to the ticket gate's IC reader and those cards are very convenient, it can also be used for shopping!

Don't forget to bring the IC card case when you visit Japan! 

Mine is a Sapica card ,it's only can use bus and subway in Sapporo, Hokkaido.  (You can use the Pasmo and Suica in Sapporo too)

papawaru_logo_okok2.jpg

Hope to hear from you next time for your next trip!  Best regards, and see you again!

Connect Moderator

Hi, @iyudhi 

These are right 🙂 And their information also nice @Atsukot @YumiSapporo

I think a prepaid SIM is very important for a trip to Japan because there is not a lot of free wi-fi spot, especially in the countryside. If tourists stay in the only cityside, they may not need to buy it. But if they want to go sightseeing spots where is not Tokyo or a cityside, they should buy it for their safety. 

And Japanese public transportations are very useful. But I recommend avoiding taking the subway in Tokyo around early morning and late at night. It is verrrrry crowded.

In a similar, such as content I like this article as well. Please try to read this 😉

Tips and Tricks when Travelling Solo in Tokyo!

Level 7

Thanks for the awesome collection of tips @iyudhi!

I had no idea that hotels down in Tokyo gave you cellphones! That's incredible!

The JR Pass is extremely helpful if you plan to use the bullet trains. 
If you only plan to travel between Tokyo and places north of Tokyo, you can buy a JR East Pass which usually is a little (or a lot depending on your travel plans) cheaper than the one that covers the whole country. This is what I always tell my family to buy if they're only planning on coming up to Iwate to visit us and then spending time in Tokyo. I'm not sure if they have similar passes for the other parts of Japan.
The JR East Pass can also be purchased at the airport and other certain locations in Japan as well as outside Japan.

Connect Moderator

Ahhhh understood @Atsukot.. that's very unfortunate regarding the JR pass for Japanese green card holders 😐

Also, going back to your back story regarding restaurants not providing container boxes for leftover, it actually makes a lot of sense.=.

I also recently learned of the back story on why there are not much trash bins in the city. Apparently it's to prevent attacks, since there was an incident in the past where bombs were hidden in the trash bins, and now they're basically limiting the amount of trash bins in the cities? I read it on one of the replies on this Reddit post showing the Japanese supporters in Russia cleaning the trash in the stadium after the World Cup match win against Colombia (congrats on the win btw! 😄 )