MahabubMunna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Floating Guava Market In Bangladesh

In the Southern region of Bangladesh, rivers and canals crisscross, creating a lush green landscape. You can see a lot of green guava orchards if you're aboard a boat travelling through the canals. Thousands of farmers earn their livelihood growing and selling these guavas. Farmers and wholesalers gather in several floating marketsin a region that resembles the floating market of Thailand.

Guava, a berry-like fruit, is often called the “apple of the tropics”. Although it originated in tropical America (in the land between Mexico and Peru), today it is one of the important fruit crops of Bangladesh, where it's grown all over the country. The southern region of Bangladesh—especially districts of Barisal, Pirojpur, and Jhalokathi—are the main Guava-producing areas.local floating wholesale marketlocal floating wholesale marketNobody is certain when exactly this floating market began, but the tradition is at least a century old. The market at Bhimruli over Kirtipasha canal is the biggest of them all. It comes to life during the Guava season, which is from July to August. Other fruits, like Hog Plum lemons, coconuts, and bananas, are also sold in the markets throughout the year. The farmers don't have proper communication or cold-storage facilities, resulting in poor market prices, but the proliferation of mobile phones is changing this scenario.

Few Photos From That Market 11884976_1127772467237874_7303200106452203339_o.jpg

11893949_1127771833904604_3002668023338269507_o.jpg

11894648_1127772310571223_3671522710735932104_o.jpg

11878868_1127771130571341_5474012997431793068_o.jpg

The eye-soothing guava orchards on canals over Jhalokathi's Sugandha, Bishkhali, Gabkhan and Sandhya river are Southern region's main places of guava farming. Every day, thousand of tons of guavas are supplied all across the country. Boats are the main transportation for supplying. Farmers carry the guavas onto the boats from the river-adjacent orchards. There are hundreds of boats filled with guava and all the trades occur on boats.11893787_1127772407237880_2235131556475439017_o.jpg

11921880_1127772130571241_7842297876414472300_o.jpg

11872141_1127772540571200_9060480184317164307_o.jpg

The floating market appears as the centre of Barisal's (aka The Venice of Bengal) beauty. Nobody knows when the idea of this floating market began, but it's a hundred-year old tradition. Development and modernization are taking over the country but it's surprising to see them not reaching to this river-oriented life yet. For more than 100 years, the local farmers have been experiencing the ups and downs of life along with the ebb and flow of the river. Many farmers and wholesalers gather here every day.

Video from Youtube :

Data and Picture from : globalvoices.org and daily star news 

Global Voice News Link

Mahabub Hasan
Swarupkathi, Barisal Division, Bangladesh
20 comments
Level 8

Re: Floating Guava Market In Bangladesh

Wow 😳 @MahabubMunna  its intresting , nice photos ☺️ & thanks for sharing & in srilanka not like this boats 🚣 😞Pettah , SrilankaPettah , Srilanka

Level 10

@ThanulakshanS this boat name " kosa "  and boat called " Nouka" so local people called it "Kosa Nouka "

Mahabub Hasan
Level 8

Oh That's Nice 🙂 I Really Love The Guava With Plum Power , Its Yummy. @MahabubMunna

Connect Moderator

Brilliant post @MahabubMunna. And this is the most timely post for the season. This is the season for the floating market. Swarupkathi, also known as the land of canals, is especially famous for it's floating market. And the orchards are full of this green fruit this time of the year. Buyers and sellers from different corners of the country gather here to trade this amazing fruit. Not only that, people like you and me, the typical travelers, also pay a visit to this small village during monsoon just to witness the trading as well as to see the beautiful floating market. It's a treat for the eyes to see so much green in the market during this time. 

Thanks for highlighting such a beautiful topic here Mahabub. 

I'm sure people like @OSAMA@ErmesT@LucioV@HelloSamsonR@KarenVChin@Shirni@TraciC@YanniY@Shirley will love this. Some of them might want to visit us too, to see this amazing trading. 

Connect Moderator

I will share some photos of Swarupkathi floating market at night, from my laptop. 

Level 8

Wow! Very interesting. I would like to see this post in Featured post. 

Connect Moderator

Omg, @MahabubMunna, your post is so beautiful, thanks @SoniaK for call me.

I'm living in a place where in the past the water was the most important way to transport goods and to produce energy, so I simply love all the posts about the water.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/Il-porto-di-Treviso-Un-tuffo-nel-passato...

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/Venezia-an-unconventional-view/m-p/11719...

Everyday I'm learning a lot of our planet, thanks to beautiful post like yours, and everyday I feel to be part of this.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Sharing our experience of the place where we live help to create a better place where to live.

Connect Moderator

I knew you would like it @ErmesT. I somehow see a resemblance between Venice and Swarupkathi. May be because of the canals. And the boats that are used for guava trading are also similar to gondolas. It's a scene to look at when all the boats float on the canals with piled up guavas on them. 

Level 10

@MahabubMunna Nice post this is awesome, thanks @SoniaK for inviting me here. This is cool, i see fresh guavas everywhere and I feel like eating all already :D.