Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Este, not just a walled city

This is an example of what it means to be a Local Guide to me:

• History
  • Art
  • Culture

And last but not least People, which means “the fellowship of the Local Guides” and other people like me (why not? All of us are “others”) that by mapping and writing can better understand the world we live in.

Este, a small town in Veneto, is full of history, arts and culture and has been discovered thanks to somebody guiding me.

Not far from Montagnana you can find ESTE, another small walled city, very beautiful but not “unexpetcted” as we have many walled cities in Veneto. I visited it at sunset, after work, as a friend of mine told me “you know quite well the industrial area, but you do not know anything about the real town and the city center”. In fact I usually arrive (always late) , I work for that factory or that office in the ZI (Zona industriale) and I leave, late of course. The industrial area is not very romantic, the city center is a different story.

Here is a picture of the Old Gate

20180406_200506.jpg

And here is a view of the opposite side of the square

20180406_200701.jpg

Near the city center is the Palazzo (collegio) Vescovile located in the south east part of Este close to the old wall and along a  canal the so called "Canale Bisatto" or "Canale di Este". It Is a Palladian structure by the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi a Palladio alumnus. During the II World War the palace was occupied by German Troops, today it is a school building. My school didn’t look the same even though it was a palace in Venice, this building in Este is amazing

20180406_195854.jpg

20180406_195827.jpg

And now a detail in a corner: an amphora. If you dig for one meter in some areas of Este you can find something like this:

20180406_195932.jpg

And when I say you can dig for one meter and find archeological (Roman in this case) ruins I mean precisely that. There are hidden treasures in Este, some already discovered, others waiting for the day light but if my friend didn’t take me there I would have never seen this incredible excavation, a bit neglected indeed, in the middle of a residential area. And this was unexpected…

20180406_194519.jpg20180406_194409.jpg20180406_194215.jpg 

20180406_194510.jpg

My visit started when I left the ZI (Industrial area) where I was working that day, it lasted for a couple of hours (with half an hour spent drinking red wine) now I want to finish with a sort of “Mad Max” touch, this is archaeology too…. Industrial but still archaeology

An old factoryAn old factoryAn old factoryAn old factory

Este, PD, Italia
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Este, not just a walled city

Hola @AntonellaGr, me encanta tu post, la historia puede estar camino a casa y en los lugares mas inverosimilies, espero poder leer mas de ti, me encanto. 😊👍🍀

Saludos Farid

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

Great post and beautiful photos @AntonellaGr! You are very lucky to work near something like to have a chance to visit.

Nothing is as old as this in San Francisco!

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

@KarenVChin Thank you! Yes I am lucky, in our  area it is rather common to work in this kind of environment. A Playwright, Marco Paolini, calls this "villette e capannoni" = detached houses and small factories 🙂 . And yes I know there is nothing as old as this in SF. I don't know about all the states in the USA but  I remember when @ErmesT and I went to Savannah and the guide was telling us something like " and this is the oldest building in Savannah" and it was built around 1700, that is to say a bit older than my grandmother's house. It is so common and expected for us in Italy to have very old and historic buildings that we do not even perceive it. 

Antonella

Level 8

Hola @FaridTDF  I am happy you enjoyed the post. It was really amazing, I have seen a lot of ancient ruins but never in a residential area. And I was told that there are many others to be excavated and their position in already known!

ciao

Antonella