AntanO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Do you know same name, but different places?

Sometimes we confuse by a name that bears by different persons. Likewise, it happens to significant places too, and that would be interesting.

In Batticaloa district, a place/village called in Tamil language Kudumbimalai [IPA: kʊɖʊmbɪmələj], which means hair-knot rock. The name derives from a rock that resembles hair-knot. It was also known "Baron's Cap" during European era. The rock shape resembles cap too. It is not clear whether it was called Baron's Cap or Barnes’ Cap. Because, two Dutch Governors had the name "Baron" (Lubbert Jan baron van Eck & Gustaaf Willem baron van Imhoff) and later British Governor had the name Barnes (Edward Barnes). In Sinhalese language, it is known as Thoppigala, which means Cap-rock. Kudumbimalai has Thoppigala Heritage Park.

Approximately 180 km away from Kudumbimalai, a place in Ampara district called Kudumbimalai as per Tamil language and Kudumbigala in Sinhalese language. Literally both languages mean hair-knot rock. Unlike Batticaloa place, Kudumbigala has more natural and historical importance spots such as Kudumbigala sanctuary, which is part of Kumana National Park, and about BC 240 era monastery.

Batticaloa Kudumbimalai / Thoppigala - hair-knot rock (already uploaded under CCA-SA 3.0)Batticaloa Kudumbimalai / Thoppigala - hair-knot rock (already uploaded under CCA-SA 3.0)

Ampara Kudumbimalai / Kudumbigala - hair-knot rockAmpara Kudumbimalai / Kudumbigala - hair-knot rock

@IlankovanT, I guess you have posted about Thoppigala Heritage Park. @AnuradhaP, any idea about Kudumbigala Monastery Complex?

Eastern, Sri Lanka
4 comments
Level 9

Re: Do you know same name, but different places?

This is interesting @AntanO, I knew both places and I have thought of this several times. thanks for sharing precise information about both places.

Level 8

Also, Nuwara Eliya and Kandy share the name Nano-Oya. Kochchikade is another name that located in Colombo and Negombo. 

Level 10

@AntanO Thanks for sharing this informative article. I did not know in Tamil this was called Kudumbimalai. I have only heard about Kudumbigala Monastery Complex. 

Level 5

@AntanO Thank you for this useful  information.