lizg's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Coming to japan

Hello so I plan on travling to japan this summer. Anyone have tips and ideas of what I should prepare for. What I should do before going and what I should make sure I see while i am there.?

1 comment
Level 7

Re: Coming to japan

Hey @lizg

While I am more than happy to provide you with tips and advice, you might also want to take a look at my favourite English website for touring Japan (www.japan-guide.com). This is a great place to start as it lists top attractions in different areas as well as special event schedules - all in a very clean layout.

What to Prepare For

• I'd say prepare for the sweltering 35+ Celsius humid summer but...there's not too much you can do 😞 Bring a face towel!
  • Watch out for mosquitoes - they are absolutely everywhere and ruthless during the summer
  • If you're planning to hike Mt. Fuji: the hike itself isn't overly strenuous (tons of people just drop by and do it in jeans) but doing a bit of cardio wouldn't hurt
  • Expensive transportation costs - while getting around in Japan is extremely convenient and efficient, it does come at a price
  • Try to avoid travelling during Japanese national holidays and typhoon season; everywhere is extremely packed, expensive and stressful during holidays and typho
  • Everyone says this but be sure to rent a mobile wi-fi unit or sim card at the airport to stay online and in touch on your phone
  • Lineups - there are tons of domestic and international tourists and people tend to flock to lineups in hopes of something good
  • Few and expensive accommodations on weekends - try to book your accommodations months in advance!
  • Get an International Driving Permit - If you plan to go somewhere that is outside of the main cities, renting a car makes travelling much easier since you don't have to plan around the few buses (plus, it's easy driving in the countryside)
  • Always have cash ready - debit is a unicorn around here but credit card is OK in big chain stores

What to do Before Going

• Check (www.japan-guide.com) and try to narrow down the regions you want to go to
    (Then you can decide if you need the Japan Rail Pass that gives you unlimited train rides (JR Pass))
  • AirBnB is really good here - I especially recommend it outside of large cities since you tend to get really cool experiences at great deals. If you are getting them in, say, Tokyo...beware of cheap deals because you will likely be roomsharing with limited privacy
  • Look for and save restaurants on Google Maps; there are so many restaurants in Japan that it is overwhelming and tough to choose one when meal time comes around (even for local Japanese). Try to save time and stress by browsing around the areas you plan to go on Google Maps, and look for restaurants with a lot of reviews - I've been living here for 4 years and choosing a restaurant like this has yet to disappoint me
  • Look for Summer Festivals ('Matsuri') - the great thing about the summer is that there are festivals going on everywhere all the time. Whether it is a fireworks festival on the beach/river, the Gion Festival of Kyoto, etc.
  • Watch the exchange rate - the yen has been kind of high for the past 6 months but you might be able to snag a deal
  • If you have any dietary restrictions/allergies, practice how to mention it to your server in Japanese ahead of time

Must-see/try

• Kyoto - at least 2 days!
  • Summer Festival/Fireworks festival - buy a cheap yukata, attend the festival in traditional wear and then bring it home as a souvenir
  • Beaches - there are some nice white sand beaches and snorkeling depending on where you go (West Japan = Shirahama, Wakayama, East Japan = Izu Peninsula)
  • Stay in a traditional Japanese Ryokan (hotel) and reserve dinner & breakfast to try quality authentic Japanese food
  • Splurge for sushi at least once (you will taste the difference immediately)
  • Try conveyor belt sushi
  • Try traditional Japanese sweets - they're really unique and it's very hard to find good ones outside of Japan

That's what I got off the top of my head but please feel free to ask something specific!