HeyJoe's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Best time to visit Udzungwa Mountains National Parks

Greetings LG, 

I have been lucky to visit Udzungwa Mountains National Park, Morogoro, Tanzania. Four times within 3 years on different occasions wet & dry seasons because I wanted to experience both seasons and which is best for me as a photographer.

Tourism in the Udzungwa Mountains revolves around hiking and trekking. There are more than 400 birds species, plant species and primate species. It has the second largest biodiversity of a national park in Africa. Six primate species have been recorded, five of which are endemic. The Iringa Red Colobus and Sanje crested mangebey are only found in the Udzungwa Mountains.

I come down with some tips that may help you to plan your visit.

Wet season advantages

- More water (Sanje Falls & Njokamoni Trails)

-Lovely greens all the way

- Less dust

- Awesome temperature

-Morning Foggy is so amazing

Wet Season Disadvantages

- Its slippery during hiking and route may take long than expected

- Very hard to see wild animals like birds, monkeys and others

- sun is very rare (If you will see it consider yourself lucky)

- You cannot camp

- it is very hard and challenging to photography especial when  you get close to the fall a lot of mist and water can ruin your lens.

Top of Sanje Falls edgeTop of Sanje Falls edge

Top Sanje FallsTop Sanje Falls

Saje Falls baseSaje Falls base

Dry season Advantages

-Less Water

- Easy to see wild animals and birds

- Easy to hike

- Best sunrise

- Camp in the site

Dry season disadvantages

- So wet

- Normal or less water

View pointView point

Sanje Waterfall base point during dry seasonSanje Waterfall base point during dry season

Recommendation

My personal recommendation as a photographer visit the park around a week to month after wet season ends because you will find a best sunrise and waterfalls will be flowing still flowing down as well you can even camp too. This is around April to May each year. Play with the calendar 🙂

Have you been there? What is your experience? 

More about the park >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udzungwa_Mountains_National_Park 

Udzungwa Mountains, Tanzania
9 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Best time to visit Udzungwa Mountains National Parks

Hi @HeyJoe,

Your post is simply brilliant! I love how you have described the advantages and the disadvantages of both seasons. For sure it will help people with their final decision, when it comes to planning their visit to the Udzungwa mountains.

P.S.: The pictures are also pretty amazing, but I'm sure that you are well aware of that. 🙂

Cheers,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Hello @HeyJoe,

Thanks for sharing with us your world. It is always appreciated to see how it is in other countries.

Your pictures are beautifull and so well taken. You are a great photographer. It is also appreciated to share advices as you did.

You may not know but I love mountain pictures. It could be so different as some are very cold with snow and other are a very different landskape with trees, waterfall and so beautifull colors.

Let's me take the opportunity to show you how it is in my place in France here in this post. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed yours.

See you around

Jul

Level 9

@KlaudiyaG Thank you.

I clarify these option so you can decide which one will suit your needs. I am glad I was there on different occasions. 

Level 9

Hi @Julien44, greetings from Tanzania. 

Thank you for checking my post. I will head to your post too soon. I am glad you love you love mountains. Here you will hear, see birds, and reptiles messing around. While there you will see depends with your season (Summer, fall, winter, spring) 

I happy for you compliments on my shots. 

Level 10

Level 7

Brilliant piece of work and very helpful tips as I look forward to visiting the mountain(s) in the near future.

Level 9

@AnethDavidd currently this month and June are the best time to visit. 

Level 8

Thanks @HeyJoe

I enjoyed reading this. 

Cheers

Level 9

@Badruddeen Hey. Thank you. Very glad you enjoyed. 

Cheers 🙂