Avinash_V's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Best Places to visit in Chennai

I have been in Chennai for over 2 years now. I have a learned a few things about the city and noticed a pattern in it. Equally related businesses tend to position their store/shop around the same area/locality. I have listed a few areas which everyone coming to Chennai must visit. Every place is unique in its own way, but just the experience of window shopping here would be great.

1) Pudhupettai - Auto Parts, Modifications and Scrap Market
Why visit here - Window shopping and experience the place like a local.
                                               Pudhupettai is famous for the repairs they do on motorbikes. I wouldn't say they do the best modifications, but if there is a problem in your vehicle, they sure know the solution for it.  Some mechanics are so skilled that they can ripe a fully functional bike and reassemble it within 2 hours or so. The Modifications and Auto Parts business is a by-product of the Scrap metal market. They buy scrap metal at a very cheap cost (mostly from auto shops) and collectively put together parts of the same type together for auction (video). They cater to customers for budget, antique, imported, used, new, and scrap parts. The streets will be filled with auto parts, that out of the 10,000 bikes commuting through here every day, 25 to 30 bikes will be punctured due to the scrap bits on the roads. Business is always thriving day and night.

2) T.Nagar and Purasavakkam - Shopping Districts
Why visit here - Apparel/Jewellery/Shoes/Bags shopping with occasional street food to kindle your taste buds.
                                               Both the areas are very famous for Saris (Cotton, Silk, Synthetic) and Jewellery (Gold & Silver - Bangles, Rings, Necklaces). Ranganathan Street in T.Nagar will be an ocean of people during peak business hours or festive seasons (video). Street Food and small restaurants can be spotted along the street. Many vendors get cheap products directly from manufacturers outside Chennai and come here to sell them.
Ranganathan Street in T.NagarRanganathan Street in T.Nagar

3) Mylapore - Temples and Filter Coffee
Why visit here - Temples, Churches and for Coffee
                                               This is a traditional Tamil neighborhood. The famous Kapaleeshwarar Temple is also located here. There are a lot of places where you can get coffee here, but the best would be in Ratna Cafe. The area also has a few old churches as well.
Kapaleeshwarar Temple in MylaporeKapaleeshwarar Temple in Mylapore

4) Ritchie Street - Electronic Hub
Why visit here - Window shopping and experience the place like a local
                                                Any electronic product, any make, and model, will be available here. Just as Pudhupettai deals in auto parts, the vendors in Richie Street deal in new, used, imported, original, fake electronic products, spares, and repairs. Half the products here are made in the very same place and sold. Although the products are made here, they do function exceptionally well for the value you pay. But, that completely depends on your luck with the product you buy.
Ritchie StreetRitchie Street

5) East Coast Road (ECR) - Beaches, Street Food, and Resorts
Why visit here - For a relaxed drive, beaches, and street food
                                                As the name states, this stretch of 55 km road from Thiruvamiyur to Pondicherry is very good for a Sunday evening drive along the coast of Bay of Bengal. There are a lot of beaches in this stretch. Thiruvanmiyur Beach and Kovalam Beach are the famous ones here. A few resorts also have private beaches, which are only accessible to their customers.
                                               Thiruvanmiyur has a lot of Street Food. When you are here, never ever, ever miss out Moru Thatha (Butter Milk Grandpa). He only comes after 7 PM and leaves by 12 midnight. People travel 30+ kms to come here and have the buttermilk he sells. He is always surrounded by customers. Fun Fact - he sells buttermilk on his bicycle and also has a #hashtag on Twitter.
Moru Thatha with his bicycleMoru Thatha with his bicycle
                                                Kovalam has a lot of street "sea" food. There are boats here on which they take you out to sea and you can jump in the water and relax for some time (with life vests). If you do have a surfboard and have the skill for it, you can join a few local kids in surfing and kitesurfing.
Surfing in KovalamSurfing in Kovalam

6) Moore Market - Second-hand market
Why visit here - Window shopping and to experience the place like a local
                                                Moore market has mainly second-hand books within the building. But, once you pass through the building, you have all sorts of goods being sold second hand at a very cheap cost (mostly electronics - video). Most of the products sold here would probably be stolen. Bargaining is what you do here. Never pay the cost told to you when you ask for a product. Beware, a product once sold, is sold. No returns/refunds. If a product does not work as it should, consider your money lost.
Second-hand Bookstall in Moore MarketSecond-hand Bookstall in Moore Market

I would recommend any foreigner visiting Chennai, must visit Pudhupettai, Ritchie Street, and Moore Market only with the assistance of a local friend/relative/guide.

I hope you have a great experience in Madras (old name for Chennai) when visiting here.

Best,
Avinash

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Best Places to visit in Chennai

Nice post. Very nice travel advice @Avinash_V thanks for sharing your great experience with us.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 7

Great content!! @Avinash_V,  your observation is keen, within 2 years, you adopted the city so well and you made me, go through all the streets of Chennai by your post, it's amazing!!!! I have never been to Chennai but your post making me plan for it!!

Indeed to say, am going to save this content so that I won't's be missing any famous places for my visit, including buttermilk.

Thanks for writing a post and knowing us the beauty of Chennai!!!!

Level 7

Hey @Arati,
I still have a lot of exploring to do in Chennai.
Good to know you that you like the post.
Best,
Avinash