cormac's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Best Clam Chowder in Boston

Hi folks, I'm going to be visiting Boston, MA for the first time and I've heard it's famous for its clam chowder.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for the best clam chowder in Boston?

1 comment
Level 8

Re: Best Clam Chowder in Boston

Just seeing this comment now, after having been offline for a little while.    Boston's chowder is the 'white' variety, made with lots of heavy cream, a bit of sherry and typically thickened with a combination of wheat flour and potatoes.   Visitors flock to Legal's Seafood and that version is perfectly serviceable but not terribly interesting.    Among the very worst chowders in the city, the execrable dishwater served at tourist traps like No Name or Union Oyster House simply must be avoided.   Good chowders can be found at:

Daily Catch (I prefer their Seaport location) - a highly unusual clam chowder style that is likely the closest to the original chaudree, the French stew from which our chowder descends.   It is quite rich and thickened with buttery housemade biscuits, as the colonial settlers would have done.   

Boston Chowda Co (Quincy Market)  - fast casual outlet in the food court, serves up some of the best chowder in the city, plus daily manager's specials on classics like haddock pie, lazy man's lobster and other things, all done with a high degree of quality.