MahabubMunna's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Bangladeshi Food Part - 1 Bakorkhani /suka roti / বাকরখানি

Bakorkhani is a traditional bakery product dating back to Mughal times. Until very recently, it was a food-product peculiar to Dhaka city.

Actually I am from Dhaka Old Part so our Food habit also Different . it's our popular food . and better  test with Tea  .

Price: per kg 100-150 tk 

Type : 2 ( sweet and normal )sweet and normal Bakhor khanisweet and normal Bakhor khani

Bangladeshi Food Series 

i. Naksi Pitha / নকশী পিঠা

ii. Telerpitha /Poa pitha / তেলের পিঠা / পোয়া পিঠা

Among the food items of Mughal times this has lingered to date and now it is also found in other cities of Bangladesh. People used to eat bakorkhani bread as their breakfast mixed with korma (sweet-testing meat or fish curry), sheek kabab (roasted beef) and sweets. The original home of this bread or biscuit is Afghanistan or beyond. In Afghanistan, it is still in vogue. Tradition goes that the name Bakorkhani was originally named after an influential Zamindar Aga Baker Khan in the late Nababi period. It is a round crispy bread (roti) made mainly with flour, milk, salt, dalda, ghee, cheese and Khamir (ingredients to make sweets).

The bread is made by stretching a sheet of dough repeatedly skewed with its ingredients before baking on a tandoor or tawa. The Bakorkhani which specially is made of pungent ingredients, cheese, roasted meat (beef) and posset are still found in old DhakaBakorkhani 2.jpg

In olden times, the demand of Bakorkhani was very high during the two Eid festivals. hakim habibur rahman in his book Dhaka Pachash Barash Pahley 'published in the 1940s gives a detail account of the variety of original food items of Dhaka and their preparation. He mentioned that there were mainly three types of Bakorkhani- Gao joban, Shuki and Nimshuki. Chinshukha roti was also a type of Bakorkhani especially made of sugar, while Nimshukha roti was the dry Bakorkhani. Kaicharoti and Mulam were also other forms of Bakorkhani.

bakorkhani 4.jpg

Cheese bakarkhani was another delicacy. In every fold, instead of ghee and flour mohanbhog mishti or semolina (suji) halwa was used. These breads known as bhigaroti were sent on dalas (high rim trays) dipped in creamy milk with almond and raisins from the house of the bride to the groom as part of a traditional matrimonial ceremony. It is a very popular and ancient food item of old Dhaka. Now Bakorkhani is found in its new shape (in poly packed) in every exclusive confectionery of Dhaka 

Video from Bakharkhani shop :

In WIKI about Bakhor khani 

Bakarkhani, also known as baqerkhani or bakar khani roti, is a thick, spiced flat-bread that originated in Old Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Bakarkhani is almost biscuit-like in texture, with a hard crust. The chief ingredients are flour, semolina, sugar, molasses soaked in saffron, poppy or nigella seeds, salt, and ghee (clarified butter). Bakarkhani is part of Bangladeshi cuisine and also made in Kashmir.

Preparation

Bakerkhani is made by kneading together flour, ghee, in some cases cardamom, sugar and salt with water. The dough is then flattened. The bread is made by stretching a sheet of dough repeatedly and interleaving with ghee, molasses, saffron water, poppy or nigella seeds before baking on a tandoor or tawa girdle.

In Kashmir

Kashmiri bakerkhani has a special place in Kashmiri cuisine. It is a thinner variety similar to a round naan in appearance, but crisp and layered, and sprinkled with sesame seeds.[1]

Kashmiri bakarkhani is typically consumed hot, during breakfast

Information : My self ,banglapedia , 

Mahabub Hasan
28 comments
Level 8

Re: Bangladeshi Food Part - 1 Bakorkhani /suka roti / বাকরখানি

এটা একটি ঐতিহ্য এবং অনেক পুরাতন একটি খামার ।
শুনেছি "যদি ঢাকা যাও, আর বাখর খানি না খাও, তাহলে ঢাকা যাওয়া অপূর্ণ থাকে "।

Level 9

@MahabubMunna you are professional of Posts timing and know how to let me read all the post , 

Media not show us all the big nice picture of your country , day after day am sure I will visit you ,

Added to food wish list 😉

Level 8

This is most attractive food tradition of "Old Dhaka" ! Whenever I go "Old Dhaka", I must try to taste it 🙂

Level 8

One of my favorite Dhakaya food. I love to eat them with tea. Spatially one bite od Bakorkhani and a small sip of tea and it comes to all around of my mouth. I am filling tempted at this moment I am writing this.

Also, can be eaten by dipping in the tea. Will try tomorrow.

@TraciC and all Local Guides team are coordinately invited to test this Bakorkhani in Dhaka.

I am petty sure that you will enjoy this very much.

Level 8

@MahabubMunna thanks for sharing these photos and info about Bakhorkhani, পুরান ঢাকা থাকার সময় প্রথম আমি যখন বাকরখানি খাই আমি কোন স্বাদ পাইনি, পরে  আমার সকালের নাস্তা এটা আর চা ছাড়া জমতই না।

Level 10

@EasinRaseL জম্নের পর থেকে খাই ত ভাই স্বাদ আস্বাদ এর কিছু নাই এ ছাড়া আমাদের চলে না  🙂 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

@ErmesT try this with tea 😛

Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

Wow, @MahabubMunna, congratulations for the amazing post. I love post about food as I'm a food lover @SoniaK. I'm lucky because I can only see the photos, otherwise you will have a fat moderator

Level 10

@ErmesT it's a universal structure body no chance to be fat ahahah . last  3-4 year my weight 47-48 kg 😛  

Mahabub Hasan