TonyR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Any "Hidden Gem" recommendations for around Chicago?

Have you discovered any great places around Chicago that fill a niche deserve more attention?

For Example/some of my favorite places off the beaten path:

Food:

Little Saigon (Edgewater) A short walk from the Berwyn Redline, this Vietnamese diner has excellent Banh Mi, smoothies, and desserts- Try the Fried Bananas! Also, it's really inexpensive! 

Cafecito (Several locations around Loop): In expensive and some of the best Cuban sandwiches I've had in the city.

Nhu Lan Bakery (Ravenswood & Uptown neighborhoods): Best Banh Mi sandwiches I've had in city, plus fantastic Vietnamese fare

Royal Thai (Ravenswood/Lincoln Square): My pick for the most consistent & flavorful Thai food in the area

Bigs & Littles (3 locations: Rivernorth, Lakeview, Wicker park): Unique takes on Sandwich and mixed American Fare

Shops:

Quimby's Bookstore (Wicker Park): Odd and rare books, Zines, comix, indie publications, and more

Rotofugi: Weird and Vinyl toys galore- store and art gallery, with many events, signings, etc.

American Science Surplus: Oddities/Science tools/loose ends - the last remaining odds/ends oddity shop resembling Uncle Fun's (RIP)

Chicago, IL, United States
5 comments
Level 3

Re: Any "Hidden Gem" recommendations for around Chicago?

I like LA Unica on Devon...

@TonyR wrote:

Have you discovered any great places around Chicago that fill a niche deserve more attention?

For Example/some of my favorite places off the beaten path:

Food:

Cafecito (Several locations around Loop): In expensive and some of the best Cuban sandwiches I've had in the city.

Nhu Lan Bakery (Ravenswood & Uptown neighborhoods): Best Banh Mi sandwiches I've had in city, plus fantastic Vietnamese fare

Royal Thai (Ravenswood/Lincoln Square): My pick for the most consistent & flavorful Thai food in the area

Bigs & Littles (3 locations: Rivernorth, Lakeview, Wicker park): Unique takes on Sandwich and mixed American Fare

Shops:

Quimby's Bookstore (Wicker Park): Odd and rare books, Zines, comix, indie publications, and more

Rotofugi: Weird and Vinyl toy store and art gallery, with many events, signings, etc.

American Science Surplus: Oddities/Science tools/loose ends - the last remaining odds/ends oddity shop resembling Uncle Fun's (RIP)

Level 2

Whats La Unica? What type of food- and do you have a favorite dish or recommendation?

Level 3

Hey 🙂

La Unica is a small grocery and restaurant...dine in, carry out, and I think delivery also. Mostly Cuban food. They also have Mexican, Peruvian, and Colombian. I usually order the chicken milanesa. Breaded and fried chicken breast (tenderloin style I'd say). Sorry, my reply didn't go through yesterday. 
Level 2

That sounds fantastic! I will definitely check them out!! 🙂

Level 10

I am the moderator of Chicago Local Guides and organizing an event at Hakka Bakka Indian Kati Rolls. This is a true Chicago gem. If you are free on Thursday May 11 from 6pm to 8pm, please join us: 

https://plus.google.com/events/c9cmmrrgmbf6lqkt8raf3katfjs

IMG_5014.JPG