AlexPssn's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Airport reviews: best and worst

Hi All,

I know this has been covered before, but I thought we can start a new thread. Being a frequent flyer I've been to 100+ airports. 

Anyone want to share their best and worst reviews on airports, restaurants, layovers, airlines, etc.  

Vancouver, BC, Canada
11 comments
Level 9

Re: Airport reviews: best and worst

Hey @AlexPssn,

Believe it or not, Vancouver International Airport (YVR) was actually ranked as one of the best airports in the world last year.  Check out the article on CBC here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/yvr-named-best-airport-in-the-world-1.3824840

Many of my friends who fly in seem to miss the artwork that is all over the airport, so I now remind all my friends that fly into YVR to stop and check out the art.  And don't forget the aquarium in the international departure side as well! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Former Google Contributor

An aquarium...?! I just checked it out on the Internet - YVR is pretty deserving of the "best airport in the world" title. Happy to see that Singapore Changi Airport made it to the article too, @Shirley. If you are on a long transit in Singapore, you have to visit the The Social Tree, the world's tallest slide in an airport, and the mini gardens scattered all around the airport!

If you're travelling to Bangkok, Thailand, I'd recommend flying in via Suvarnabhumi Airport over Don Mueang International Airport. I noticed that tour groups typically fly in/out via Don Mueang, so immigration and check-ins can be quite a pain. There aren't many food and retail options there either. 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 9

Hi @Shirley, I fly through YVR 10+ times a year, it is beautiful, my only gripe in domestic connections have to go through security again. My favorite part is the waterfall in the international arrivals terminal. 

If I had too choose my favorite airport architectural designs they would be Montevideo (MVD) and Lyon (LYS). 

Level 9

@JeslynL: I've been to Changi airport a bunch of times now! I've always been meaning to go to the waterslide...but I find myself always running through that airport.  (About to miss my flight!)

@AlexPssn: I've never had to go through security again if you flew in from Canada and then go on to another destination within Canada.  But if you come from an international flight and then connect to another destination within Canada (or US), they make you go through security again at all Canadian airports, it's not just YVR.  That was something that was implemented after 9/11. 

Hong Kong airport is still one of my favourite in terms of design, and things to do (food, shopping), convenience with connections within the airport and also to the city via trains and buses.  London's Heathrow Terminal 2 (aka Queen's Terminal) is actually very similar in design, same designer.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

Amsterdam's Schiphol is one of the best. The worst I have been was

Rome's Fumicino airport. It is badly signed, dirty and with very bad airport services.

Level 8

Dubai Airport. Absolutely fantastic airport with all facilities. A metro even takes you from the terminal to the waiting area. It's like a huge mall. 

There are three terminals to the airport and one of which is completely dedicated to Emirates flyers.

The world's busiest airport. 

Former Google Contributor

Moving on to airlines - One of my best experiences was with Finnair, hands down! The flight attendants are super patient, even-tempered and accommodating.

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 7

i had to admit that in my city Tan Son Nhat International airport is ranked 4th on the list of the worst airports in asia

Level 9

I traveled on SouthWest for the first time last month. Very impressed with their friendly and jolly service. Not having seat numbers assigned was interesting, while their express boarding option was worth it.