LaceyM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Contributor

6 family-friendly activities to do in Los Angeles

When you've got your kids in tow, it's important to find things to do that the entire family will enjoy together. Next time you're vacationing in Los Angeles, add these family-friendly activities to your to-do list.

Santa Monica Pier Aquarium

Most families stroll Santa Monica Pier, but many don't realize there's a small aquarium on the beach level right underneath the carousel. They have over 100 species of marine animals and plants, including touch tanks, seahorses, and jellyfish.

Caption: A photo of a ferris wheel, roller coaster, and other attractions at the pier at Santa Monica Pier Aquarium taken from the water in Santa Monica, California. (Local Guide Rholais Lii)Caption: A photo of a ferris wheel, roller coaster, and other attractions at the pier at Santa Monica Pier Aquarium taken from the water in Santa Monica, California. (Local Guide Rholais Lii)

Local Guides say:

"What an incredible, unexpectedly cool place to visit. There are interactive exhibits where guests can touch starfish and sea anemones. This petite community aquarium is connected to an awesome local nonprofit called Heal the Bay that focuses on water conservation and sustainability." - Local Guide Ashley Sundquist

Shane's Inspiration, Griffith Park

Built in 2000, Shane's Inspiration is a universally accessible playground for kids of all ages and abilities. It sits on 2 full acres inside Griffith Park and is the most popular playground in Los Angeles.

Caption: A photo of Shane’s Inspiration, a playground in Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California, on a cloudy day. (Local Guide Star Carlton)Caption: A photo of Shane’s Inspiration, a playground in Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California, on a cloudy day. (Local Guide Star Carlton)

Local Guides say:

"My daughter loved it! They have several playgrounds for all age groups. I even loved the mini race track with gas stations for kids to use their imagination." - Local Guide Roland G

Rolling Robots

With three locations around LA, it's easy to get to this science and technology playland. Kids can create their own working robots, or for the younger ones, choose one ready to go, and battle them in the robot arenas. It's so fun the kids won't even realize it's educational too!

Caption: A photo of a table set up for a robot building party with robot pieces displayed on trays at Rolling Robots in Palos Verdes, California. (Benjamin Price)Caption: A photo of a table set up for a robot building party with robot pieces displayed on trays at Rolling Robots in Palos Verdes, California. (Benjamin Price)

Local Guides say:

"Fantastic STEM based education, built around ROBOTS!!!... An excellent way to supplement some of the elements missing in many schools, as well as a chance to be inspired by creative engineering!" - Local Guide Lincoln Kroll

La Brea Tar Pits and Museum

Kids interested in fossils, archaeology, and animals will love the La Brea Tar Pits, located right off the Miracle Mile. See what fossils excavators are digging up, check out statues of the extinct animals found here, and see a 3D movie on the ice age inside the museum.

Caption: A photo of a Columbian mammoth skeleton on display at an exhibit at La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in Los Angeles, California. (Local Guide Rick Battle)Caption: A photo of a Columbian mammoth skeleton on display at an exhibit at La Brea Tar Pits and Museum in Los Angeles, California. (Local Guide Rick Battle)

Local Guides say:

"Great place to take the family for an educational journey. The kids enjoyed learning about the ice age and the interactive tar exhibits. My favorite part was watching the researchers working on cleaning actual bones excavated from the dig sites live and in person." - Local Guide Kevin Kehoe

Bob Baker Marionette Theater

The Bob Baker Marionette Theater is a non-profit organization that started in 1963 and is dedicated to preserving and sharing the art of puppetry. They perform over 200 shows per year, utilizing thousands of handmade puppets.

Caption: A photo of the exterior of Bob Baker Marionette Theater in Los Angeles, California. (Local Guide D.E. L)Caption: A photo of the exterior of Bob Baker Marionette Theater in Los Angeles, California. (Local Guide D.E. L)

Local Guides say:

"Magical, fun and unforgettable. To be around so many entranced, smiling, and laughing people, is a rare experience. The post-performance ice cream is the perfect finish." - Local Guide Stuart Shim

Annenberg Community Beach House

There is no one who doesn't love a beach or pool day, kids and adults alike. The Annenberg used to be a private mansion, but now it's a pool, beach, splash pad, children's play area, and a historic guest house that offers tours.

Caption: A photo of a pool surrounded by beach chairs and orange umbrellas at Annenberg Community Beach House in Santa Monica, California. (Local Guide Abbi Coursolle)Caption: A photo of a pool surrounded by beach chairs and orange umbrellas at Annenberg Community Beach House in Santa Monica, California. (Local Guide Abbi Coursolle)

Local Guides say:

"The Annenberg Community Beach House must be one of the most beautiful places in the City of Santa Monica. So clean and neat and what a beautiful pool! I could spend everyday of the summer there." - Local Guide Jim Cali

Where is your favorite family-friendly place to go? Tell us in the comments below.

10 comments
Level 10

Re: 6 family-friendly activities to do in Los Angeles

The first thing that would come to my mind would be Santa Monica Pier and the beachfront as well, but other than that?

As for downtown L.A. I don´t remember one single spot that could be regarded as truly family-friendly. But L.A. is so large I am sure there must be lots of cultural and educational attractions apart from the costly theme parks around it... 

I love all the suggestions

Thanks for sharing! 

Level 10

Thanks for sharing @LaceyM. Very interesting post. Here is one of my favourite family friendly place in Lagos I recommend for all families to visit of they are looking for family friendly spots in Lagos:

The Get Arena

Level 10

Nice post @LaceyM. So many information I have gathered. I will remember it when I will go to L.A. Thanks for sharing this with us. 

Level 9

thanks for sharing @LaceyM 😄

Connect Moderator

Thank you @LaceyM for this post. I have attached my favorite spots in the list here:

6 family friendly places in Bavaria
https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1FywXx5k-x7uFgSKrc4olrXYG1s4?hl=de

What was the best??? That I was must to select, as there are many more locations for family friendly places in Bavaria  🇩🇪 ...

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Hi @LaceyM thanks for share with us.

Level 6

Hello @LaceyM thanks for sharing with us. I can able to learn many things from you post... 

Level 9

Thanks for sharing dear.  @LaceyM !

Everyone wants to go out with their family.

Ranjan
Level 8

@LaceyM

Thanks for sharing information 

It is different from one place to another we can enjoy completely.

Bhaskar