LaceyM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Contributor

6 cool breweries to visit around the world

Raise a glass of your favorite brew because it's International Beer Day! In honor of this special occasion, explore how beer is made by checking out some of the coolest, most unique breweries around the world.

Belgium: Westvleteren Brewery

Caption: A photo of cases of beer bottles stacked up against a wall at Westvleteren Brewery. (Local Guide Casper van Dort)Caption: A photo of cases of beer bottles stacked up against a wall at Westvleteren Brewery. (Local Guide Casper van Dort)

Trappist beer is only produced in monasteries. There are six such breweries in Belgium and only five others around the world. The Westvleteren/St. Sixtus monks have been brewing award-winning beers since 1839 and show no signs of slowing down. The bottled beer has no labels, only color-coded caps to differentiate the three types of brews.

Norway: Svalbard Bryggeri

Caption: A photo of five glasses filled with different kinds of beer next to the cans they came from at Svalbard Brewery. (Local Guide Henning Furø)Caption: A photo of five glasses filled with different kinds of beer next to the cans they came from at Svalbard Brewery. (Local Guide Henning Furø)

The Svalbard Brewery takes “cool” to a whole new level: It's just south of the North Pole! Located on an island with more polar bears than inhabitants, it's the northernmost brewery in the world. They use water from the 2,000-year old Bogerbreen glacier to make their beer, which you can taste on a brewery tour.

Vietnam: Pasteur Street Brewing Company

Caption: A photo of a man filling a beer glass from one of many taps at Pasteur Street in Vietnam. (Local Guide Dennis Gan)Caption: A photo of a man filling a beer glass from one of many taps at Pasteur Street in Vietnam. (Local Guide Dennis Gan)

Pasteur Street is one of the brewery's leading the way in Vietnam's craft beer revolution. They use American-style craft brewing techniques along with fresh, local Vietnamese ingredients for a unique combination. You can try their 200+ beers at five taprooms in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

Austria: Starkenberger

Caption: A photo of a woman in a beer pool at Starkenberger in Austria. (Courtesy of Starkenberger)Caption: A photo of a woman in a beer pool at Starkenberger in Austria. (Courtesy of Starkenberger)

Do you love beer so much that you wish you could swim in it? Well, you can, at Starkenberger in Austria. The brewery's old fermentation cellar houses the world's first beer pools. They hold 12,000 liters of water and 300 liters of beer and are said to ensure supple skin and help circulation. Make a reservation and try to resist drinking the bathwater.

United States: MobCraft

Caption: A photo of many taps of beer along a wall at MobCraft. (Local Guide Emily Anderson)Caption: A photo of many taps of beer along a wall at MobCraft. (Local Guide Emily Anderson)

Think you have a great idea for a tasty beer, but no brewing equipment? Check out MobCraft in Wisconsin. They crowdsource all of the beers they brew. That means members of the public suggest their recipes and then vote for winners, which then get brewed. It's about as close as you can get to the brewing process without being a brewmaster.

Australia: Granite Belt Brewery

Caption: A photo of the exterior of Granite Belt Brewery. (Local Guide Thomas McPherson)Caption: A photo of the exterior of Granite Belt Brewery. (Local Guide Thomas McPherson)

With breweries becoming their own tourist destinations, some are branching out to providing accommodations, activities, and restaurants. Granite Belt in Queensland has 19 private cedar cabins spread about 30 acres of land that guests can rent. Besides a taproom, there's a gourmet restaurant and plenty of outdoor activities so you don't even have to leave the brewery's grounds.

Where’s your favorite place to get a beer? Tell us in the comments below.

24 comments
Level 9

Re: 6 cool breweries to visit around the world

Wow @LaceyM these brewers are awesome and the beer pool is also awesome. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Level 10

Hi @LaceyM

It is amazing to know some unbelievable facts about Beer, like " They use water from the 2,000-year old Bogerbreen glacier to make their beer ". Just to know, what is the impact of  2000 year old water on beer taste or quality ? Does it change taste, aroma, stability or anything else. 

I have very little knowledge about beer/liquor. 

You had asked one question, Where’s your favorite place to get a beer?  Ours is "Dry" state, so to get beer I may have to drive 300/400 km to other states. And even though if it is available also, I may have to do empty mug toast with you.

Cheers !!

Vijay Desai.

Level 6

ool breweries to visit

Hi @LaceyM

Cool post about cool breweries. Beer pool is awesome. Drink & bathe in pool. 😊🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Good Luck @LaceyM

Level 10

Many thanks to you @LaceyM for gathering information about many breweries. Wishing a big cup of chilled glacier beer in hot sunny day.  Cheers. 

Level 10

Thanks a lot for share . i haven't any idea before that because in my country alcohol prohibited also not like this type showroom
Mahabub Hasan
Connect Moderator

@LaceyM,

I wasn’t sure if I would give you a Kudo for this post. Of course nice and at least Austria...

But how you could miss Germany, Czech and Poland??? Is like writing a post about wine without Italy and France. 🤔🤔🤔

(only jocking up to the next , )

I was such upset, that I did google with once a brewery and did walk there!!!

Now I‘m sitting in a craft beer brewery:

Browar Stu Mostów
Jana Długosza 2, 51-162 Wrocław, Polen
https://goo.gl/maps/fb6ceCRsUFt

9233ADE0-C49D-485F-8046-7400177B7849.jpeg

A taste tray in front of me. Is my first time due to you.... 😉

I will invite you to Central Europe to see the fantastic beer art here. 

In in the background you see the place they make it. It is only 3 years old. The time of reinventing beer did come!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 6

Really it's very cool. And the Austrian bear bath is awesome . If i get chance definitely i will go there.

Russian beer

@LaceyM

Connect Moderator

@AlejandraMaria, uff, when I posted here you did give me to an other post a Kudo and I did feel bet, that I only named France and Italy.... 

Spain has some very good wines of course, but Italy wine is outstanding. 

I wait for  @AntonellaGr and @ErmesT when the wine meet up will come 😉😃😋

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 6

Yes uff wine