FabianB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

3 Days New York

Hi All

I am going to New York for 3 days soon and since this is my first visit I am wondering what are the must do's and what you would recommend to do in 3 days?

I know I can look-up everything on TripAdvisor, but I am more interested in the not so well-known attractions and places you would never find without asking a local.

cheers,

Fabian

New York, NY, United States
15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 3
Solution

Re: 3 Days New York

Hey Fabian, I hope you enjoy your stay while you're in NYC!

Something I've done a few times with my family is take the Staten Island ferry (which is free) to a Staten Island Yankees game, where, if the weather is clear, you get a stunning view of the NYC skyline from the stands as you watch a baseball game. It's truly picturesque, and won't cost much. The ferry terminal is practically connected to the stadium, so at game's end, you simply take the ferry back (again, free) to Manhattan, and that's that.

Enjoy NYC plus America's famous pasttime - baseball. Get some beer, a hot dog, and enjoy the sounds and sights 🙂

View solution in original post

Googler

Depends on what you are looking for!  Maybe giving this group a bit more on interests will help narrow some recommendations:

- Have you been to NYC before?

- Are you staying in Manhattan?

- Do you want to see some of the major sights? Empire State, Statue of Liberty, Ground zero -- etc.?

- Into food?  Specific types?

I think @TraciC had a post with some reco's a bit ago, will hunt.

Googler

Definitely check out @JuliaRoss's post where we've made a lot of suggestions and feel free to ask questions here/there and tag us. 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Visiting secret spots is always fun to do. There are plenty of speakeasy's you can hit up (Angels Share, Alchemist, Backroom, 124 Old Rabbit Club... etc), and there's also some "not-so-secret" dinning spots (Cafe Select Back Room, midnight ramen at Takashi... etc).

Level 3

Thanks for your feedback. Here some additional information.

It's my first time visiting NYC, so I plan to do the major sights as well. We are staying in upper manhattan, so it should be easy for us to get around.

When it comes to food, I really like Italian and Japanese - I think there are plenty good spots in NYC to grab something.

As we are heading to LA for a roadtrip after NYC, I would like to do some shopping. Is there a cheap shopping/outlet mall you would recommend? 

thanks and cheers

Level 8

For cheap but good Japanese and Italian food, you can head to St. Marks and Little Italy, respectively. Plenty of choices in those areas. Kenka is a great izakaya in St. Marks, and Lombardi is an institutional pizzeria (supposedly the oldest pizzeria in NYC).

For shopping on the cheap, I'd say give Century 21 a go. Or if you don't mind a bit of driving a bit, Woodbury Commons in "upstate," The Mills at Jersey Gardenin NJ (tip: bring your foreign passport to the service deak to get a special visitors book for additional discounts at most of the stores), and Tangers out in Long Island usually have a lot of good deals.

Level 8

3 Days New York

Hi, I have a blog with activities depending the days: 

http://jenjoyc.blogspot

Level 6

Hi Fabian. I'm not a local, but one of my favorite things to do when visiting NYC is riding the tram to Roosevelt Island. It's cheap (a couple of $ as I recall) and you get a fantastic view of Manhattan on the ride over the East River.  Go at sunrise or sunset for spectacular light. The station on the Manhattan side is at E 60th and 2nd Ave. I haven't found a lot to do on Roosevelt Island but the view on the ride over is well worth the time.

Century 21 is one of my favorite places to shop. Have fun on your trip!

Level 8

The top 3 places to check out that I suggest are: Ground Zero 9/11 Memorial, Chinatown and Statue of Liberty.  You should be able to cover all if those places in one day.  

If time allows, hangout on Wall Street.  I'm talking - start your day early at a coffee shop, people watch, if you're brave enough to mix in the rat race traffic, go for it!  Or try catching happy hour before the market closes.  It's quite the experience to rub shoulders and share beers with stock traders.  A lot of fun to hear their "how was your day" stories.  No telling where your night will lead!

Former Google Contributor

Hi @FabianB,  If you're into comedy, you might want to check out the Upright Citizens Brigade for something a little off the beaten path of a regular tourist.  It's a comedy club that features some of the city's best rising stars (Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz, Aziz Ansari are all alum of UCB) along with big name talent.  

In terms of restaurants... For Japanese, I love Soba Totto (for authentic soba and yakitori), Tori Shin (for yakitori -  all different chicken varieties and vegetables) Hide Chan (for delicious ramen, pork buns and fried chicken) Sasabune, Yasuda or Sushi Seki for sushi - note the sushi places are a bit pricey but worth it and super fresh.  Some of my favorite Italian spots are Maialino, Marta (thin, crispy, Roman style individual pizza), Morandi, L'Artusi and Via Carota.  Enjoy!!