GillianC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

10 fun things to do in Queenstown, NZ when you can't ski

On past trips to Queenstown,  I explored the four main ski resorts Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Cardrona, and Treble Cone. However, this year I found myself in unfamiliar territory, being 5 months pregnant and unable to ski.  Baffled by the question of what on earth I could do there, I gathered tips from locals, friends and colleagues on how to enjoy QTown without setting foot on the snow.  After hiring a car at the airport, I explored these 10 incredible destinations.

1. Breakfast at Joe’s Garage

On my first trip to Queenstown I stumbled across Joe’s Garage, tucked in a laneway off the main drag. It looked quiet and humble on the outside, but when I opened the door, it was a hive of activity. It has been operating for 20 years for three good reasons great coffee, delicious meals, and super-friendly staff!

1. “Trust the Chef” lunch, Amisfield

Image Caption: One of the mouth-watering dishes served up at AmisfieldImage Caption: One of the mouth-watering dishes served up at AmisfieldThe idea is to trust the chef to serve three or five dishes you’ll enjoy, and add matching wines. Being pregnant, I was a dubious about trusting anyone to serve up anything I could enjoy, but every single dish was incredibly delicious. I won’t spoil the surprise of what you may be served, but have no doubt you will leave as blown away and button-popping full as I was.

1. Dinner at Rata

I enjoyed the tastiest mocktail to date (although the wine list looked incredible) and we shared a delicious beef Wellington for our main course. It’s worth visiting just for the big cheese table that gets wheeled over for a spot of dessert! Book ahead as it’s popular, for a very good reason.

1. Drive to Glenorchy

Image Caption: A picture-perfect day at GlenorchyImage Caption: A picture-perfect day at GlenorchyThe trip from Queenstown to the lakeside town of Glenorchy is one of the most picturesque drives you can take no wonder many scenes from Lord of the Rings were filmed here! Pack a picnic lunch or choose from a limited selection of local cafes, then wander down to the wharf and marvel at the crystal-clear water surrounded by snow-capped mountains.

1. Onsen Hot Pools

Take an easy 10-minute drive from Queenstown and spend an hour in a thermal spa for just $40, with arguably one of the best views in the world. You could honestly spend a whole day here unwinding and relaxing, as there are other services such as massages.

1. Walk to the Basket of Dreams

Image Caption: The view from the Basket of Dreams is well worth the hike up there!Image Caption: The view from the Basket of Dreams is well worth the hike up there!To burn off all the incredible food you’ve been enjoying, hike for 45 minutes to the Basket of Dreams. Beware that the start is VERY steep, but it evens out after about 10 mins to a slow, steady climb to the top. At the peak, you’ll be rewarded with a spectacular 360-degree view of Queenstown, including the lake and surrounding mountains.

1. Cruise around Arrowtown

You can’t go to Queenstown without a morning trip to Arrowtown a picturesque little town about 20 minutes away. Look for the old Chinese Settlement houses at the end of the street, enjoy a pie at the pub, and do a spot of window shopping at a variety of stores selling local produce, souvenirs and of course, the classic lolly shop.

1. Day trip to Wanaka

Image Caption: Climb a waterfall at Wildwire WanakaImage Caption: Climb a waterfall at Wildwire WanakaIf you do the spectacular one-hour drive over to Wanaka, stop off at the Cardrona Pub on the way. Once there, enjoy a whole town full of outdoor activities between a lake and mountains.  Hire a bike and cycle ‘round the lake, walk up Mt. Iron before breaky (or Roy’s Peak for a day’s adventure), and for the brave take on Wildwire Wanaka, a vertical climb up three waterfalls.

1. Ramen at Tanoshi

When it’s cold outside, a ramen is sometimes the only thing that will heat you up from the inside out. Over four days in Queenstown, we went to Tanoshi three times, and ordered the same pork ramen each time. Yes, it was that good.

1. Scones (ok ok, and burgers) at Fergberger

You’ll already know to grab a burger at Fergberger, but if you tiptoe next door to the bakery, you’ll be rewarded with the most incredible baked goods and just one door up, gelato too. We bought a basket full of bakery goods for our trip to Glenorchy and picnicked on the wharf. Heavenly!

Do you have any more (non-snow related) tips for Queenstown? I’d love to know what other snow-less adventures await!

Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
24 comments
Level 8

Re: 10 fun things to do in Queenstown, NZ when you can't ski

WOW!

Congradulations!  I am sure your baby can feel the nice surroundings.  I also sure you can feel your baby is happy and you are happy.

I surely can learn alot from your travel stories - to learn about the place, learn about the people, and learn about how to write a travel story.

Thank you!

Level 9

thank you thank you @GillianC , this is really fun things to do :)))

@Briggs @Osaka78forTRUMP @Justine2807 @MahabubMunna @AkmalB @LucioV @HelloSamsonR check this guys 😉

Level 10

Level 10

Great travel story and useful information. I love the climbing photo, nice shot.

New Zealand is an amazing place to visit. 

I think I should mention @DavidTito

Because he knows new Zealand very well. 

Thanks for mention me @OSAMA

Level 9

@GillianC Thanks so much for the recommendations! Very nice list to keep in mind! 

Mapu

Connect Moderator

@GillianC, your Queensland looks and sounds amazing!

But you can't leave us Local Guides foodies hanging with no ramen, scones, or burger photos!! @TraciC will be very upset not to know the full details of Queensland burger scene.

Cheers,

Karen

Googler

Aw, @GillianC, I love your posts and appreciate this latest one, especially as you shared that you're expecting and how you had fun despite not being able to ski. For those of you who don't know Gill, she's a thrillseeker for sure!

@KarenVChin, I'm with you. Come on, @GillianC, were there any gooey burgers to write home  — or to the US about? You know us, we always want more! 😉  Thanks for sharing!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

@KarenVChin Queenstown New Zealand, not Queensland! There's definitely no snow in Queensland, Australia 🙂

Yep you're right @TraciC my usual Queenstown trip would involve a LOT of outdoor adventures and wine tasting, but not this time! In terms of gooey burgers, yes, the most famous place in town is a burger joint called Fergburger. I barely mentioned it as NOONE will let you go to Queenstown without saying 'you must go there' or 'how many times did you go to Fergburger?'. I actually didn't even eat there this time so can't share a pic @TraciC @KarenVChin - the lines were far too long for a hungry person to put up with! There was another burger place called Devil Burger which looked just as delicious without the lines - might give that a try next time. Or, this might be the perfect excuse for you to start planning that trip across the seas!?

Level 8

@AkmalB @OSAMA @LucioV Yes Mount Maunganui is where I'm from or Tauranga a City of New Zealand posted here 

I All so like Rotorua check it out 

But Spent Most of my young Life in the North Island New Zealand 

DargavilleMe at Waipoua Forrest New ZealandMe at Waipoua Forrest New Zealand

I have Plenty to share about New Zealand and I have all so contributed to Google Maps there quite a lot 

@AkmalB wrote:

Great travel story and useful information. I love the climbing photo, nice shot.

New Zealand is an amazing place to visit. 

I think I should mention @DavidTito

Because he knows new Zealand very well. 

Thanks for mention me @OSAMA