DiAnaUS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Worldwide Edit walk USA (Long Island, NY and Orlando FL)

Following in the footsteps of @HelloSamsonR , representing both Long Island, N.Y. and Orlando, FL chapters of local guides we did some massive edits.  

(I didn't create an official meet up on Google, for these as it was less than 24hr notification and time allowance was unstable due to work, sorry fellow local guides, please forgive me💙

Before the edit walk numbersBefore the edit walk numbers

Legislative building. Start of the edit walk/ride alongLegislative building. Start of the edit walk/ride along

Current approved editsCurrent approved edits

I had brought my dad with the help of my coworker in between our appointments to participate in this edit walk. For those who don't know, my dad is handicap, he is a kidney transplant recipient, a diabetic, has Parkinson's, and amputee person. It is very important that the questions of ****"is this place handicap accessible"****and ****"does this place have a handicap entrance"**** be completely accurate, as we rely heavily on this.

This was extra important to him, because he is a medical mission doctor and retired physical therapist and the kids he cared have cerebal palsy as well as current patients have extreme limitations in places they could access due to the width and heaviness of their chairs to get over thresholds often found at entrances. 

Initial start for Long Island was Garden CityInitial start for Long Island was Garden City

The main area of focus to start, was 7th st and Franklin ave in Garden City, Long Island, NY. Then we had expanded later on during the day to Stewart Ave, which goes towards the Roosevelt Field Mall. Highlighted are the areas of focusHighlighted are the areas of focus

Didn't take too many pictures as we had our hands full with my father and teaching him the basic technology of Google Maps. And coolers for his medications and drinks for this ridiculous humidity we struggled with...😥

💙But as for the Orlando, FL chapter...💙

Highlighted are the areas of focusHighlighted are the areas of focus

My hubby and his friend took over for where I couldn't (I had a strict map guideline for them haha). I had taught him how to use Google maps prior as well as heavily using Skype for live chat guidance, so he played as tour guide to his friend who is new to the country, from Greece, with my guidance all the way from N.Y..  So it was a learning experience and adventure for both of them.

Their focus was downtown Orlando, similar to the areas of my 1st hosted meet up and then an extension to parts of E Colonial and Mills 50 district.

St.James Catholic Church on the edge of downtown towards College Park/Edgewater areaSt.James Catholic Church on the edge of downtown towards College Park/Edgewater area

Lake Eola in downtown OrlandoLake Eola in downtown Orlando

City arts factory in downtown OrlandoCity arts factory in downtown Orlando

Mills50 is close to Thornton park district and are both part of historical orlando. Therefore the buildings are old, and some streets are cobblestone, which is a difficult drive and walk and acess, especially for handicap.

The thing that they both noticed was the lack of handicap accessibility for handicaps in Mills 50. Those that had handicap accessible entrances were far from handicap accessible inside. Something that is not really acknowledged by most, but when I 1st moved to Florida was the 1st thing I noticed. 

The Mills50 district and East Colonial area is a huge area for Asian goods. For my family, it's the most visited for groceries when they are in town, due to the convenience of Filipino ingredients and Asian vegetables.  Because of the lack of accessibility, my father has not been able to visit the district in nearly 18years since his handicap limitations, which he dearly misses. Therefore I solely do the shopping for my family due to their elder ages and handicap limitations. (Don't worry, my voice will be heard for handicap accessibility there one day!!😁

I cannot emphasize enough the need for the questions being answered on Google Maps be accurate especially for those with handicap limitations, it is difficult enough for them to make trips to get to a place and be disappointed by the lack of accessibility. Save them a trip! Or push for your local governments to enforce handicap accessibility in your area, like i have in my town. A good majority in my town have automatic doors, mini ramps, and open doors, no matter the season to allow for easy entrance and exit for those handicap. 

This edit walk was so important! I cannot express the impact it can have for those needing comfort in accessibility.

🤗😁HUGE THANK YOU TO @HelloSamsonR FOR TAKING THE INITIATIVE AND PUTTING THIS WORLDWIDE EVENT TOGETHER! THIS IS HOW LOCAL GUIDES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! THIS IS HOW WE POSITIVELY IMPACT OUR COMMUNITIES AND THE WORLD!!😁🤗

🎉🎉Results were as follows:🎉🎉

☆734 answers

☆108 edits 

☆272 facts 

And 3 *new* Google mappers (my hubby and friend and father) 

Long Island, New York, NY, United States
19 comments
Level 10

Re: Worldwide Edit walk USA (Long Island, NY and Orlando FL)

Wow @DiAnaUS I am blown away with your recap story. This is a must read for everyone. Thanks for joining in this Worldwide Map Edit Walk your story is amazing and hear-touching as well. Your stats after the meet-up is amazing. You were able to pull all this stats even despite the little difficulties you had. You are amazing @DiAnaUS. Your sincere contributions in trying to help your community would always be remembered by many. Well done Dianaus, Amazing Woman :)😊👍

Level 10

Hi @DiAnaUS We wouldnt want to miss such impressive efforts of yours. Please can you take few mins to share us a feedback here:Feedback Form For Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Level 8

I did majority of my inputting while feeding my group a late lunch at the mall and then when I came home later on answered questions and facts. It was a two part day for us in Long Island, since we did early morning and then mid afternoon, to work with our schedules.

My maps had so many unanswered questions, I was surprised @HelloSamsonR, I thought it was never going to end hahaha 

The best way we figured out if places were handicap accessible via entrance was the ease in getting over thresholds of doors with his chair. But it is Amazing the difference in the two questions,which often times people just assume both are accessible if the other is marked yes. Often times it is not the case,  stores can have tight aisles and small round abouts making it frustrating and extreme hazards for those in chairs, even walkers.

Level 10

Wow @DiAnaUS . This is really impressive. We have a lot to learn from you as well. Sincerely I am just reading all over and over again 😊. See our helpful your contributions will make an impact. Thanks for taking part in this worldwide Walk. Keep the spirit high, you are great and 100/100 😊😊

Level 10

Well done @DiAnaUS. Great stuff 

Isaac
Level 8

🎉👏IT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF YOUR GREAT INITIATIVE @HelloSamsonR👏🎉 

💚I thank and celebrate YOU for bringing the Global Community of Local Guides together for a great purpose and positive change💚

Without you, this would have never taken place today, so please take a bow for your great work🤗👍👏🎉

Level 8

Level 10

😊😊, Thank you @DiAnaUS 🙂

Connect Moderator

Excellent work @DiAnaUS

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.