Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who makes the most expensive cheese in the world? Serbia!

@Julien44 thanks for the insppiration for this post!

Perhaps "Šljiva" isn't unique product in Serbia, exists in France as well, so we are quite same - not so different :-), but this is definitely unique - Donkey cheese!

I know France is well known for cheese and that they are really exclusive and tasty, especially the one u mentioned, but do you know about cheese made from donkey milk!

Donkey cheeseDonkey cheese

Here is the story of the most exclusive cheese on Earth with price of 1000EUR/kg-made only in Serbia!

Wikipedia articlePule cheese, or just pule, is acheese made from the milk of Balkan donkeys from Serbia. A distinctive dairy product of Serbian cuisine, pule is reportedly the "world's most expensive cheese", fetching 1,000 Euros per kilogram. In September 2013, the cheese was valued by a news source at $600 USD per pound. It is so expencive because of its rarity: there are only about 100 jennies in the landrace of Balkan donkeys that are milked for pule-making, each jenny must be hand-milked thrice daily, it takes 25 litters (6.6 gallons) of milk to create one kilogram (2.2 pounds) of cheese, and the cheese is then smoked

BBC articleThis little-known delicacy from Serbia, made with milk believed to slow down the ageing process and boost virility, is the most expensive cheese in the world.

“We lost contact with animals, and we need that contact back” Slobodan Simić said - creator of donkey cheese.

Donkey milk cheese is the most expensive cheese in the world due to the extremely low milk yield of the magarica (female donkey): just 300 millilitres per day. Rich in vitamins and minerals, donkey milk is believed to slow down the ageing process and has been used as an immunity booster in the Balkans since ancient times. Cleopatra allegedly even bathed in it. It is also purported to boost virility.

Theepochtimes.com article about 5 most expencive cheese in the world: Pule (or “donkey’s pet” in Serbian) – 1,000 euro/kg; US $600/pound
Only available on demand, this unique cheese strengthens the immune system, since it is low in fats and rich in vitamins and proteins. It is made of smoked donkey’s milk, and is produced only in the Balkans by Zasavica Special Nature Reserve, home to a hundred donkeys. They affirm that the high price is due to the amount of milk required to make 1 kg of cheese: 25 liters (3 gallons to make 1 pound). Female donkeys are milked manually, since there are no suitable machines to do the job.

Modern packagingModern packaging

I'm sure no one heard about this before, have u?  🙂

Watch here as well

This is location where this donkey cheese is produced - Zasavica, Serbia

Thanks for the inspiration Julien!!!

Serbia
29 comments
Level 10

Re: Who makes the most expensive cheese in the world? Serbia!

@Anonymous

You are welcome for the inspiration.

I didn't know that donkey cheese existed! Thanks for sharing the Pule story! It seems that there is not such production in France.

I am sure, I will never try it...It is too expensive for me!

See you 

Jul

Level 8

Thanks for sharing this, @Anonymous, it's very interesting, more even to me as a cheese lover. I like especially goat and sheep cheese and this looks like it could be somewhat similar. Do you aprove?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I'll be hosting your stay in Serbia @Julien44@, some portion of pule cheese will be provided for your stay 😁😁!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @CaptainHook, thanks for joining.

I do agree at some point, but this is, as u can see, completely specific kind of cheese, but seartenly there are similarities with goat and sheep, after all, that's all CHEESE!!! ☺️

Level 8

Technically I understand - but what about your impression - do you like it, at first place?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey @CaptainHook, thanks for joining.

I do agree at some point, but this is, as u can see, completely specific kind of cheese, but seartenly there are similarities with goat and sheep, after all, that's all CHEESE!!! ☺️

Level 10

@Anonymous

Have you already tried donkey cheese?

I take note of it ;-). Your attention is well appreciated. I will bring good french wine to go with it. Do you like wine?

Unfortunatly, it won't help to motivate my wife as she doesn't like much cheese ;-).

Jul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well @Julien44, I am like your wife - don't like cheese ☺️. Only with some food I can eat it, otherwise no, and I didn't tried donkey cheese, it would be too much, but I enjoy wine, that is excellent idea of yours! 🥂🍷

Would love to try French wines. What type u like more, red or white wine?

Level 10

@Anonymous,

I like all types of wine but my favorite is red wine and especially the wine from Bordeaux.

I like white wine  in aperitif, with some starters as fois gras for example and I prefer red wine with main courses and cheeses.

What is about you?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not an expert like u are ☺️, but have heard about Bordeaux wines. 

White one is excellent but red is working better for me. 🙄