KarinaDj's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What does it takes to be a Local Guide in Bangka Island

What does it take to be a Local Guide in Bangka Island. It never cross my mind that my story will be as adventurous as this one:

I started posting photo, review and edit as Local Guide in June 2017 when I was on holiday in my hometown, Bangka Island, Indonesia. As a beginner, I knew almost nothing about Local Guides. But since my life depend on Google on daily basis, especially Google maps, I knew if I help Google, then I help others like me too. So with determination I started to go around my neighborhood, took photos, add locations, edit, and submit reviews.

Being away from my home town for more than half of my age seemed making me forgot one tiny thing about my hometown, that is only 1/3 of the community is an active user of Google services, especially maps. So when I was out, taking photos, or stopping in front of a bulidng and entering information on my mobile phone, most of the times:

1. I was considered as a property agent who is taking photo to sell the building/land nearby, or

2. I was considered as a news reporter who is making stories about the location, or

3. I was an undercover hired agent working for someone with money and/or power

Unfortunately, all of the three options are bad news and none of the residents want to deal with them. So their first reaction when they saw me taking photos was to chase me away as soon as possible.  Even with public buildings, when I stopped in front of the building and started submitting entries on my mobile phone, security guards would immediately approach me with one purpose in mind: to chase me away asap.

After a few similar encounters, it came to my realization that I need to change my strategy. So then, first thing I did was going straight to the owner of the building or the security guard post, then introducing myself, flashing my Local Guides email from Gmail to them (not quite sure they understand since it's in English - neverless it worked lol), explaning about Google Local Guides and Google Maps, sometimes showing them how Google Maps works. Once they're satisfied, I took photo and entered information requested by my Local Guides apps. It took about 30 minutes to complete one edit/entry per location, longer than my normal 5-10 minutes standard. But when the photo reached over 10k, it's all worth it.

RS Medika Stania SungailiatRS Medika Stania Sungailiat

Not all experiences were bad ones though. Sometimes I met those who were Google and maps fans. So when I introduced myself as Google Local Guide, they were so excited to show me everything. Some even asked me to take their personal photos to be uploaded on Google. As a professional of course I took their photos, many photos in facts. But in the end, after the visit, it's me who will decide which photo to be uploaded.

SMAN 1 SungailiatSMAN 1 Sungailiat

Do you have similar experience like mine in your area or country..?

It can be a total happy story... or more adventurous one(s).

Let's share it here .. the story that no other man on earth wouldl experience except Local Guides.

Cheers,

Karina

Bangka Belitung Islands, Indonesia
6 comments
Level 8

Re: What does it takes to be a Local Guide in Bangka Island

It's a beautiful reading @KarinaDj. Thanks for sharing.

Bali Local Guides contribute to give back to the community.
Connect Moderator

Thanks @KarinaDj

For the beautiful story!

I love it, it is the kind of experience that I would like to share to everyone @TraciC

It is interesting to read from your experience how can approach in a soft way a reluctant business owner, showing them the opportunity to be visible in Maps. I'm using an approach very similar, and frequently they invite me inside the shop to take some better photos.

Last week I was in a restaurant for lunch, and after paying the bill, we spent 15 minutes to see how to apply for Mybusiness.

Thanks for sharing your story with us

Ermes 

Former Google Contributor

Hi  @KarinaDj and welcome here in Connect.

As a reminder, Connect is a a forum to discuss and exchange with other Google Maps users who have joined the program of Local Guides. Everyone is welcome here but the forum is not a platform for commercial advertising or self-promotion of any kind. 

Many thanks.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Level 7

Thank you @MariaBi

When I first joined as LG, I have no idea what it was and the rules, only an email from Google saying I can start contributing. So I did. I found and joined community months later when I was at L5, and only last week started joining LG Connect and then realized oops, it should be personal email instead. Now I'm at L6, a bit too lazy to start over. And I am still figure it out how to manage my LG connect account that won't hurt my gmail account. I think the process would be faster if you could help to navigate me through on how to separate both accounts profile to follow the rules in addition to the possibility of account removal information.

Cheers.

Connect Moderator

Hi @KarinaDj,

to change your profile photo you can change it in your Google profile, or you can choose to change it for Connect Only.

In the second case, Go to My Setting, then click on Avatars

Setting.JPG   avatar.JPG

Click to "upload an Avatar"

Done. Good luck

Ermes

Level 7

@ErmesT, @MariaBi

Ermes grazie mille per il tuo aiuto, ma non ho avatar nelle mie Settings 😞

My Setiings looks a bit different from yours, and I could not find the Avatar anywhere.

Dear Local Guides, do you know how to find Avatar menu as per guidance provided by Ermes below..?

Or do you know how to change profile photo for LG Connect only?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Here is my Settings looks like:

my Settings.jpg