StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Visiting Melaka, Malaysia for Chinese New Year 2018

The Chinese Spring Festival or more widely known as Chinese New Year, is probably the most important festival in the Chinese Calendar. This year 2018, I was able to spend some time in the historical city of Melaka (where a lot of Straits Chinese people settled) to enjoy the festivities and activities here.

Melaka (Malacca), is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and is probably the most famous historical city in Malaysia. It is about 120km from the heart of Kuala Lumpur (capital), and one can get here via many forms of road transport (car, bus, taxi etc). Melaka has a very rich colonial past, having being ruled over by the Portuguese, Dutch and British from the 1500s till independence in 1957. Melaka was also the sea trade port during the spice trade days of the 1400s which saw traders traverse between China and India.

Melaka's "Chinatown" is the area more commonly known as Jonker Street or Jonker Walk, and during the Chinese New Year time, this area bustles up with lots of activites, celebrations, bazaars, stalls, shopping from morning until late at night. It's especially happening towards the late evening to night time when the Sun goes down, and traders take over the street with their make shift stalls.

Google Maps Location: https://goo.gl/maps/swwsSWT8FYE2

Just sharing my night stroll through Jonker Walk night bazaar in 360-video where you can join in the experience of walking from one end of the famous Jonker Street up till the other end where the Melaka River flows. The street is about 500m long, and the video is just over 15 minutes. Excuse the lower quality because of the limited light at night. Enjoy. Watch in 4K in a full large screen were possible.

Share your experiences if you have been here before! 🙂

@Cweng@Haseeb@Shirni@Gini@PavelSarwar@AkmalB

And tagging a few friends: @KarenVChin@YK1001@ErmesT , @OSAMA

Melaka, Malaysia
10 comments
Level 8

Re: Visiting Melaka, Malaysia for Chinese New Year 2018

@StephenAbraham My wish to join but i missed. 

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Level 10

Level 10

@PavelSarwar You can still join our Penang meet up this full Sunday Feb 25, leaving KL this Saturday night.

@PavelSarwar wrote:

@StephenAbraham My wish to join but i missed. 

Level 9

Your 360 videos always amazing & it's a nice edition too 🙂

Being to melaka a thousand times but never being during cny. Thanks for bringing me virtually there.

Keep on inspiring us with beautiful videos like this.

Level 10

Hi @StephenAbraham

I have been there 4 times ,but not during Chinese new year ,as @Haseeb said....

It's a great virtual tour of jonker street, you're doing well with your camera, no doubt that you are a professional photographer.

Thanks for sharing 

Have a nice day 

Level 10

Level 8

Very informative post.Is this Chinese Calendar is official Calendar

Former Google Contributor

Woah @StephenAbraham!

Once again a great story combined with a cool 360 video. Thanks for sharing! 

See you around!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

It looks like a movie set @StephenAbraham

Happy Chinese New Year - 恭喜發財! My ancestors came from Guangdong over a century ago to San Francisco.  So, in many parts of old San Francisco Chinatown and in Oakland Chinatown, Cantonese is still spoken.  @YK1001 and @BellaLui  were amazed and impressed to hear Cantonese and traditional Chinese characters being used in Chinatown.

I've been busy with family and the famous San Francisco Chinese New Year Parade is tomorrow night, February 24th. It's the largest parade outside of China.  A million+ people will be standing along the parade route.  I can't believe the annual parade has been around for 60 years!

Cheers,

Karen