Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 9

Underwater Art to Protect our Oceans

The ocean covers two-thirds of our earth and as many of you may be aware, there are many parts that are filled with gorgeous coral reefs where there are many marine animals and plants call home.  Unfortunately, due to various human activity in the last few decades, a lot of the coral reefs have been damaged by us as humans. This may be from us stepping on the coral while we are enjoying ourselves in the ocean, less than ideal methods of fishing, environmental pollution, but the biggest threat to the coral reefs is probably climate change, which is also due to human activity.  The consequences of climate change on coral reefs can in turn affect many island nations in a social and economic manner. For many who enjoying exploring the oceans, this can result less aquatic and marine life forms for us to see when we go snorkeling or diving.  Ultimately, we need to be more aware of our impact on climate change.

Recently, in November, I had the opportunity to visit Indonesia, a country with over 17,000 islands. I spent some time in Lombok and the three Gili Islands near Lombok. One morning, my friend and I woke up and decided we wanted to do a bit of snorkeling, so we decided to join in on a day trip from Gili Trawagan and we visited Gili Meno and Gili Air.  To be honest, neither of us really knew what we were getting ourselves into, we just wanted to explore a bit and be in the water. As we signed up for the tour, they kept telling us we'll see sea turtles and statues. I expected sea turtles, but was completely puzzled by what they meant by statues. I asked my friend, who actually visited the area in March and he did not remember any particular statue or importance. Either way, we were ready for our exploration.

After getting everyone sorted out for the tour and onto the boat, we were off, going towards Gili Meno. About 20 minutes later, the boat stopped, and we noticed there were a few other boats in the area.  The guide basically told us to hop in and swim towards where there were other people and look down to find the statues. Now I was really confused...but...into the water I go...I brought along my Pixel 2 for some photos and looking down I see...

2017-11-28 10.57.04.jpg2017-11-28 10.55.43.jpg

Now I understood what the guide meant by statues, but these were all underwater! There is actually a full circle of them standing/lying there underwater.  I had taken these two initial at the top of the surface and was really curious what was going on...and decided to dive down a bit to get a closer glimpse.
2017-11-28 10.56.18.jpg

There is so much detail in these statues but I was still unsure why they were underwater and what their purpose is, if there is any purpose at all (beyond art that is really difficult for people to access).  But either way I took the photos first and decided to do a bit of research after.  It turns out, this was an underwater art installation known as Nest. It is by an underwater artist by the name Jason DeCaires Taylor and he has completed a number of other underwater pieces like this around the world.  It was just installed in August 2017, which was why my friend had no idea of its existence.  The concrete is pH neutral concrete that encourages the sustainability of coral reefs and the marine ecosystem associated with it! Not only is it interesting for those who are snorkeling, it also promotes sustainability in hopes of fighting climate change.  This will ensure that the beautiful ecosystem of coral reefs will remain around the earth for a long time for others to enjoy.  You can read a bit more about Nest here.

I have to say, this is probably one of the coolest things I've seen this year, especially since I love the water so much! Since it is still new, it still looks like concrete, but I would love to visit in a year or two just to see how the coral reefs have grown all over it and to see the marine life that calls it their home! 

Before I end this...I was promised I'd see a turtle, so here it is hiding at the bottom of the waters, captured on my Pixel 2 (quality is not as nice in the water)!

A Turtle!A Turtle!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Gili Meno island, Gili Indah, North Lombok Regency, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Underwater Art to Protect our Oceans

Hey @Shirley, first, welcome to Indonesia, the archipelago that we call it by "Nusantara". Nusantara means a country with thousands island. Your pictures are amazing within the great and rich story. I hope I will be there, someday. Thanks for writing this πŸ™‚

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 9

Thanks @NunungAfuah! Next time when I return to Indonesia, I hope we can meet up!!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

At East LombokAt East Lombok

Hi @Shirley and @NunungAfuah greeting from Gili Nanggu, Lombok πŸ˜„

at West Sekotongat West Sekotong

Backflip Mode :DBackflip Mode πŸ˜„

Always use our Local Guides Best TshirtAlways use our Local Guides Best Tshirt

Level 8

Bls: Underwater Art to Protect our Oceans

Zangradi SurabayaZangradi Surabaya

Hai 😁😁😁😁 dont you miss Indonesia? 

Connect Moderator

Muy bueno el Post @Shirley, gracias por compartirlo, es atΓ­pico hacer arte bajo el agua, de todas maneras interesante, para visitar y admirar πŸ‘πŸ˜ƒ

Saludos Farid