Siemworks's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The secret i found in contributing & What camera I use (whats your secret?)

Dear local guides,

For me being a local guide feels a little bit like Pokemon Go. Trying to make such a beautiful picture that it will make the top rank of the spot where you posted the picture. For me luckily in Rotterdam I achieved this several times :). Most of the times I walk in a restaurant or a club and ask a manager whether i can make some photos and let them understand what it means to have nice pictures on there google.maps page. 

Most of the time these shopkeepers do not know about this principle! 

As a parttime photographer I decided to make the world a little bit nicer. I little bit do not like the phone pictures people make now a days. Luckily phone cameras become better, but it all looks like a fancy trick. That's why I decided to use my DSLR's and lenses to create really unique pictures that really draws some attention. I also share these pictures with the manager of the restaurant etc.

Sharing is caring, and it gives me some exposure too! Actually, I stopped instagram and all, began to contribute to google.maps 🙂 .

Now, I just was wondering what kind of camera people use, and what technique people like to use to make unique pictures. These are mine:

Camera: Canon 5d mark IV, Canon 80D and the canon G7X - Most used lens. 24 - 105 and pancake lens 40mm 2.8.

Most used technique: A little longer exposure, 1/15 of a second, put the camera low to the ground for a unique view, and to create movement in the pictures so that people are not recognizable (privacy et all). 

Now I need to find more and more time to cycle to the city and make these nice pictures for every shop I can see! And if I really like the shop, I also go in there so i can make an honest review.

My question to the community, how do you feel about this way of approaching contributing to google?

And to finalize, i want to give you my favorite quote of F. Bueller:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Rotterdam, Nederland
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: The secret i found in contributing & What camera I use (whats your secret?)

Ever since I got my Pixel 2xl, I've been taking photos of restaurants I visit. I have left reviews for over 100 places now, and I never got any complaints from the managers. The quality of the pictures that this phone takes is amazing, and it's super easy to pull out and snap some photos and get excellent results. I have a distinct feeling that whatever algorithms that Google uses tends to prioritize photos taken from these devices because I've got the "cover" photo of restaurants I've visit multiple times. 

Photos taken on a Pixel 2XL

View solution in original post

Level 6

I'll start doing the same here in my city! Great advice 

I recently learned how to take nice photos so I might just give it a try. Thanks for sharing your experience and I'll love to see some pictures too

Keep exploring
Level 8

Cool that you do the same!

What equipment do you use?

Here is an example - Review is in dutch, but just check the pictures. https://goo.gl/maps/AbTsbjqfqcv/

You have any examples?

You can also check my website www.siemworks.nl , but not really relevant for this.

Ciao!

Level 6

@Siemworks i only try with my phone or GoPro because I don't own any other cameras. But I Definetly look forward to

Keep exploring
Level 8
Solution

Ever since I got my Pixel 2xl, I've been taking photos of restaurants I visit. I have left reviews for over 100 places now, and I never got any complaints from the managers. The quality of the pictures that this phone takes is amazing, and it's super easy to pull out and snap some photos and get excellent results. I have a distinct feeling that whatever algorithms that Google uses tends to prioritize photos taken from these devices because I've got the "cover" photo of restaurants I've visit multiple times. 

Photos taken on a Pixel 2XL