Julien44's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

TRAVELLING TO CROATIA....HERE IS MY JOURNEY

Hi Guys,

We are back from our 20 days trip to Croatia and it is time to share what we have discovered.

Croatia is a beautiful country and Croatian are very nice, friendly (even when France won the football world cup against Croatia ;-)).

Here are the stops we did, photos and explaintations of what we have visited:

- 1st stop:  Dubrovnik:

Durbovnik is well known because of its old city surrended by huge stone ramparts dating from the 16th century. 

Dubrovnik old cityDubrovnik old city

Dubrovnik old city/marina and SRDDubrovnik old city/marina and SRD

The place is also hilly and there is a beautifull hike to be done at the SRD small mountain. At the top, the view is just amazing. It worth the effort ;-).

SRD hikeSRD hike

Dubrovnik view from Srd topDubrovnik view from Srd top

If you are tired, not ready to hike or disabled, you can take the cable car (it will cost you 20€).

SRD Cable car DubrovnikSRD Cable car Dubrovnik

The last but not the least, Dubrovnik has beautiful beatches! There are 3 main beaches: the Sunset beach, the Saint Jacob beach and the Banj beach. I would recommand the Saint Jacob beach as it is the smallest and niciest one. unfortunatly, it is the hardest one to reach and not accesible by disabled.

Dubrovnik - St Jacob beachDubrovnik - St Jacob beach

- 2nd stop: Pomena Mljet island:

Pomena is 1 hour boat from Dubrovnik and it is a very small city with only 50 citizens during the full year. It is located on the Mljet Island, which is very quiet, relaxing and a good place for hiking, snorkelling and sunbathing. The sea is limpid. It is a little paradis!

Mljet seasideMljet seaside

If you are nature lover, you would love being there for the visit of the National park. It is a protected park with 2 salted lakes. The biggest is 11 kilometers of circumference and you can stop where you want for relaxing or bathing. We walked but you can also do it with bikes.

Mljet National ParkMljet National Park

In the park, there is a beautiful small Monastery only accessible by boat (an island in the island). The entrance fees of the National park includes the boat trip and the visite of the Monastery.

Monastery MljetMonastery Mljet

The park is accessible by disabled and there is everything for them to enjoy.

National park Mljet : accessibilityNational park Mljet : accessibility

- 3rd stop: Split:

It tooks us 3 hours by boat to reach Split from Pomena. The boat stopped at Korcula, Hvar but we did get off as it wasn't planned in our trip.

Split is a very big city with about 160 000 citizens and there was a big contrast with Pomena. Slipt is well known for its old city, its ramparts and its diocletien palace.

Split old citySplit old city

Diocelien palaceDiocelien palace

The marina is also a nice place to relax or to have a walk.

Split marina / RivaSplit marina / Riva

When you are in Split, you shouldn't miss to visit Trogir. It is a small medieval city listed at UNESCO. 

Trogir arrival by boatTrogir arrival by boat

TrogirTrogir

If you are in Split, I would suggest you to make some rafting on the river Cetina. We had a nice, fun and safe experience. We book it directly with a rafting company in Omis.

Rafting OmisRafting Omis

- 4th stop: Sibenik:

On the way to Sibenik, we stopped in Primosten. We were not supposed to stop there but a local (guy) told us not to miss Primosten. Primosten is a small peninsula and such a nice place. It is a pity that we didn't know this place when we prepared our trip to Croatia. Lucky us, we didn't miss it but unfortunatly we didn't stay long enough. 

PrimostenPrimosten

PrimostenPrimosten

Sibenik is also a beautiful city, well known for its cathedral, old city and Saint Michel Castel.

SibenikSibenik

There, I had a special thought for my friends @KarenVChin and @TraciC from San Francisco. As you can see on the picture (last arrow), we were at 10 038 kilometers from your place ;-). 

Sibenik -> San FranciscoSibenik -> San Francisco

The main reason why we stopped in Sibenik was we wanted to visit the Krka National park and its well known waterfall. To access the waterfall from Skradin, you can either take the boat (includes in the park entrance fees) or hike for 4.5 kilometers. We did the walk for around 1 hour and discovered the wonderfull waterfall. To see all the waterfall, you have to walk for about 2.5 kilometers. For the return, we took the boat ;-).

View when hiking in KrkaView when hiking in Krka 

Main waterfall in Krka NPMain waterfall in Krka NP 

When we were there, I tought : "This is beautiful but unfortunatly our disabled friends are not able to access here".

I found that there is option for disabled and they can access the Krka National Park. It was the cherry on the cake of my day ;-).

Krka accessibilityKrka accessibility

- 5th stop: Pula:

Pula is a city in the North of Croatia, in the region called Istria. People come to Pula to visit Roman ruins and also its coast lined with beaches:

Pula AmphitheaterPula Amphitheater

Kamenjak natural parkKamenjak natural park

When you are in Pula, I would recommand to visit Rovinj which is one of the most visited place in Croatia and it is supposed to be a taste of Italia! @ermest what do you think?

RovinjRovinj

RovinjRovinj

You must have understood, we had excellent holidays in Croatia and we enjoyed it a lot. The only regret is not to have meet any Croatian local guide connected here!

I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any queries or if you are looking for advices related to these places.

See you around

Jul 

PS: Here is the recap of my trip to Croatia? @MiroslavSerbia@Shirley@Haseeb@TorM@KlaudiyaG@Sagir@AlejandraMaria

Croatie
38 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: TRAVELLING TO CROATIA....HERE IS MY JOURNEY

It looks like you've had a good time in Croatia, @Julien44.

The photos look really good. In fact, there are a lot of good Croatian photos on Connect.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Thank you @Julien44!

very nice post with great pictures and good inspiration for my trip next week. 

Croatia 🇭🇷 is really beautiful!

Regards

Torben

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

@TorM

You are welcome and thanks for you comments!

All the best for your trip 😉

See you around

Jul 

Connect Moderator

Wow, every photo looks really beautiful! I didn't know much about how Croatia looked like but now it's high on my to-go list. Thank you for sharing, @Julien44!

Level 10

Hi @Jesi,

You are welcome 😉 and thanks for your words.

I am so happy that my post gave you the desire to go to Croatia. 

See you around

Jul

Anonymous
Not applicable

This content has been removed.
Level 10

Hi @Anonymous,

Good to hear from you!

Split is a wonderful town full of history with its old city and its docletien palace... but I have prefered staying in Dubrovnik if we speak about old city, ramparts and atmosphere. 

If I had to choose 1 place, it would be Pomena. As a nature lover, I have really enjoyed spending time with the familly hiking, swimming (in the sea and in the salted lakes), snorkeling and relaxing. The atmospher was just unbeleivable and so quiet! It is also so easy to reach (only few hours from Paris). I am almost sure, I will go back one day!

I am glad if I have managed to bring you closer to Croatia!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This content has been removed.
Level 9

Wuauuu @Julien44!!!!

Amazing trip you made to Croatia during 20 days, you and your family had time enough for immersing in this beautiful country.

I love the amazing views from the  cable car at Dubrovnik! It´s like you were going to jump on to the sea :))))

Incredible rafting on the river Cetina.

I am so happy you had an incredible time!

Good Afternoon from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.