DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

South Indian breakfast & its beauty

In my previous post, I mentioned Mumbai’s street food and was surprised to know that there are many Veggie-lovers in our LG community. This post is about the famous South-Indian breakfast items which are pure-veg & healthy & tasty – all at once!!! 

It will be cliched for Indians, but for LG’s across the world, you’ll love South Indian breakfast !!!

@StephenAbraham  @NirajBhusal @Julien44 @NadyaPN @KlaudiyaG @Shirley @LawrenceNYC 

@OSAMA  @BudionoS @LucioV check this out

1. IDLY

Looks quite humble & simple – but the preparation process is elaborate.

First a combination of Idly-rice & white lentils, are soaked separately, for 3-4 hours. The both are ground to form an even paste. Leave this mixture for fermentation overnight. You’ll be surprised that the volume doubles by the end of this fermentation process. Now your batter is ready for cooking.

Plate Idly :)Plate Idly 🙂

1. VADA

Vada is like an elder brother to Idly 🙂

VadaVada

Preparation process is similar, just that the ingredient is Urad dal. There are many versions of Vada, depending on what you add to the batter. You can add spices or coriander leaves or onions – options galore!!!

Idly & Vada with chutneyIdly & Vada with chutneyP_20170806_093839 Kamat.jpg 

1. DOSA

Preparation is similar to Idly, just that the batter is made of rice & black gram. Its history dates back to 1st century AD.

P_20180310_075251.jpg

P_20180211_094745 Pragati tiffin center dosa.jpg

Add onions – it is Onion Dosa (above)

Add mashed potato – it is Masala dosa

Add butter topping – it is Butter dosa (below)

Butter dosa... just yumm !!!Butter dosa... just yumm !!!

Add nothing – it is simple Dosa 🙂 ... and the list goes on and on

1. PURI

Puri’s ingredients & preparation style is very different. It’s made of whole wheat flour, coarse wheat flour or refined wheat flour. Depending on the type of wheat flour you use, the texture differs. The dough is made into small balls and rolled into flat circles and then deep fried in vegetable oil. Now comes the magic !!!  - while deep frying, this flat circled dough puff up like a round ball because moisture in the dough changes into steam which expands in all directions.

Puri is golden brown in colour and is a heavy breakfast item.

fluffy puri'sfluffy puri'sP_20180310_075300.jpg

And the breakfast list goes on… add Upma to the list 🙂

tasty Upmatasty Upma

PongalPongal 

These breakfast items are served with some tasty Chutney’s – different colours and flavours. Chutney’s enhance the taste of the otherwise bland breakfast items.

1. Coconut chutney

A combination of coconut pulp ground with other ingredients such as tamarind, green chillies and coriander.

P_20180310_075155 kamat Chutney.jpg

1. Coriander chutney

Add fresh Coriander instead of coconut pulp. The other ingredients like cumin powder, salt etc remain the same.

1. Ginger chutney (Allam Chutney)

You won’t imagine how Ginger can be used to make a tasty chutney. Do try this out.

P_20180310_075328 Ginger chutney.jpg

Ensemble of Chutney's

P_20171029_080107.jpg

1. Traditional Gun Powder (Karam podi)

The famous Andhra Karam podi is a perfect mixture of toor dal, moong dal, and chana dal, red chillies, and one teaspoon of cumin seeds.

Just sprinkle it over your breakfast items like Idly, Upma or Pongal & enjoy the taste!!!

Karam podi :)Karam podi 🙂

Indian breakfast is very healthy & light on stomach, so when you walk in to a hotel, ensure that your table is FULL !!!

P_20180310_075345.jpgTop up your breakfast with tea or coffeeTop up your breakfast with tea or coffee

Do share your experiences with Indian cuisine.

Hyderabad, Telangana, India
21 comments
Level 10

Re: South Indian breakfast & its beauty

Hey my friend @DanielTh,

Thanks for tagging me ;-).

This is such a great post. Your pictures are beautifull and so well taken. I love the beauty of your indian breakfast and I would be so pleased to give it a try. I am sure it is very good. It is mouth watering.

The only picture I have from indian restaurant is that one:

20170728_132742.jpg

I hope you will enjoy.

@Sagir , @FazeelUsmani, @ValeriaA_, @WaweruM@NareshDarji I am sure you will love that one.

See you around

Jul

Former Google Contributor

Hey @DanielTh,

That's an extensive breakfast list! The photos and descriptions are just great! I have a question. Is Puri hollow inside?

Thanks for this post!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

i love south indian food @DanielTh . thnaks alot for share with name . last dec bengaluru test few item i don't know food name so miss test few mouthwatering looks food 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

@NadyaPN yes its hollow 🙂 

Level 10

@Julien44 that's a table full !!! great pic 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hi @DanielTh,

Thanks for tagging me, but these pictures are not helping my March health kick. Everything looks so delicious, it makes my stomach growl. 🙂

I have already shared my last Indian food experience. You can check it in here.

See you soon,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

I like to eat south indian food @DanielTh because it's my favorite food. Thanks for sharing this delicious food with us.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Oh wow @Julien44 that food looks just amazing. I'm so hungry now I had to go for a sweet croissant at work haha.

I've never tried indian food, but I'm sure that if I do, I will love it 🙂 thanks for sharing this! Great shot by the way, the lighting is just perfect

@Julien44 escribió:

Hey my friend @DanielTh,

Thanks for tagging me ;-).

This is such a great post. Your pictures are beautifull and so well taken. I love the beauty of your indian breakfast and I would be so pleased to give it a try. I am sure it is very good. It is mouth watering.

The only picture I have from indian restaurant is that one:

20170728_132742.jpg

I hope you will enjoy.

@Sagir , @FazeelUsmani, @ValeriaA_, @WaweruM@NareshDarji I am sure you will love that one.

See you around

Jul

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Connect Moderator

This is lovely... saliva full my mouth... so mouth watering

thanks for sharing @DanielTh

my friend @Julien44 thanks for tagging me.

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve