Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Snow Day at Whistler

I recently just got my local guides badges and I contemplated about ironing them onto a bag or a shirt or something like that, but thought that was too restrictive. I have decided to pop them into my purse and take them wherever I go.  Well...not absolutely everywhere, but many places.

Recently I went up to Whistler in BC, it is commonly known as Co Hosts of the 2010 Winter Olympics, along with Vancouver.  Growing up here in Vancouver, we are very spoiled with Whistler being so close and I have learned to snowboard and ski.  Usually I wouldn't have much time to just take photos or videos on the mountain...mainly because I'm too lazy to take my phone out and a fear of losing it on the mountain somewhere!  (side note: at the end of my day at Whistler on this trip, I heard someone ask the gondola operators if someone from ski patrol can go up the slopes to look for his lost phone, unfortunately, I don't think they managed to.)  Anyway, I got to spend some time on the learning area on this trip for a variety of reasons, but here are some photos and videos with the badges! 

The morning was snowing and the visibility was alright, definitely not one of the best.  Whistler definitely has an awesome learning area with a magic carpet so beginners don't need to learn how to get off of a chairlift just yet.  It's quite flat and it isn't that busy event though this was during spring break.  I actually learned to ski here.  The area is also really wide so that there is a lot of space reducing crashes.

At the top of the beginners' area.At the top of the beginners' area.

I went up Whistler and was snowboarding down a bit.  This is actually on another run and the beginners' area is in the middle of the mountain, so this is just at the top.  At this point, I decided to take my badge and camera out for some more photos.  You'll notice three "white-ish blue" patches down at the bottom of the mountain, those are the three major lakes in the town of Whistler.  In the summer, the lakes are this gorgeous blue colour but never be deceived by that.  These lakes are fed by glacier water and is colder than it looks.

On the Peak to Peak Gondola.On the Peak to Peak Gondola.

Whistler is actually two mountains, Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains.  The town itself is known to be Whistler and most people don't even realize Blackcomb exists.  But this is the peak to peak gondola, so when you're near the top of either one of these mountains, you can ride the gondola from one mountain to the other.  The Fitzsimmons River separates these two mountains at the bottom.  The Peak to Peak Gondola has only four towers and the gondolas as suspended from a cable that is no more than 5 cm (2 inches for you Americans).  The one way ride is approximately 11 minutes.  There are two glass bottom ones, but totally not worth it because it is super crowded (unless if you go end of day).  You don't have to ski or snowboard to ride this, many tourists go up in the winter just to check it out! 

If you're ever in Vancouver, Whistler is definitely a place to go! 😄

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Whistler, BC, Canada
16 comments
Level 8

Re: Snow Day at Whistler

Thanks for Sharing your Snow Day Photos & Video

@Shirley

The Photos looks great

Level 9

@Shirley wow this is awesome. really I love snow and like your photos 🙂

Googler

Glass bottoms, @Shirley? I am so jealous I didn't go on one! 😄 Thanks for sharing the photos and this post. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Thanks guys! @IlankovanT and @Umashankar

@TraciC we need to get you onto the mountain another time, that's when we'll go on the glass bottom ones!

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

Bls: Snow Day at Whistler

Dont be lazy shirley 😂. Use phone strap and link to your body. So if it fall. The strap will hold your phone safely. 

Level 9

I actually just bought an action camera! Hopefully I can use it next time when I go to the mountains!! I'll share some photos and video @badaib!

Connect Moderator

Level 8

Yeah cant wait for your photo an video. Tag me if you post it. U travel a lot, i always waiting ur story. 

Cherio

Level 9

@badaib and @ErmesT

The weather in Vancouver has not been cooperating so I haven't had a chance to go yet T_T

But here's a taster from last year. I was snowboarding with my Snapchat Spectacles (which is why the video is circular)...it doesn't look like much and it doesn't seem like I go very fast hehehehe

You may want to turn the volume down...as the wind noise is really loud!