DoriyaKiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Singapore's Geylang Serai Bazaar is back!

Hi, fellow Local Guides! If you happen to be in Singapore from 12 May to 14 June 2018, be sure to check out Singapore's annual biggest night market, the Geylang Serai Bazaar! The bazaar is an annual event held in conjunction with the Muslim fasting month, where hundreds of stalls will be set up near the Paya Lebar MRT vicinity. They sell anything from hipster street food to curtains for your home decoration. 

There will be loads of colourful decorations this year as well!There will be loads of colourful decorations this year as well!

I had a chance to visit the bazaar yesterday and my favourite part of the bazaar is definitely the amount of delicious food and drinks available. I went there with my stomach empty for dinner and left with a happily filled stomach. Here are some recommendations from a self-proclaimed food critic. First on the list, beef cubes by Beef Bro!

Must try: Grilled beef cubes by Beef BroMust try: Grilled beef cubes by Beef Bro

Look at these juicy beef cubesLook at these juicy beef cubes

Beef Bro was one of the stalls I came across and it was love at first bite. The other time I remember eating such delicious beef cubes is back in Osaka when I tried the grilled Kobe beef cubes. The meat is juicy and flavourful, though there are some tough bits that are hard to chew. There are also some fatty bits as well, which may not be everyone's taste. Go with the cheese option and add some of their belachan chili sauce for that extra zing. Highly recommended!

Another one of my favourite food is the rainbow cheese toast.

Just look at those colours~Just look at those colours~

Other than being an insta-worthy food, cheese lovers will love the cheesy filled insides of the toast. They gave very generous servings of the cheese and eating the toast made me reminiscent those pizza ads where the person is just pulling cheese off the slice. There is also a slightly sugary taste that I think is coated onto the bread that compliments the cheese really well, along with the rainbow sparkles. I just hope the unicorn doesn't mind us stealing its favourite bread!

Aside from the cubes and cheese toast, we also tried food like the chili crab churros, beef fries, and grilled squid, though they were not as mind-blowing as the first two food item.

Grilled squid on a stickGrilled squid on a stickChili crab churrosChili crab churrosBeefy friesBeefy friesWhile not too bad tasting, the remainder of the three items didn't really strike us as being totally amazing. The grilled squid, while nice, was served to us cold (eww) while the chili crab churros, were just, churros with chili crab sauce slapped on top. The combination of spicy and sweet just felt off. While you cannot really go wrong with chili beef fries. It was our carb of the night. 

Of course, if you're looking for the old school type of night market food like kebab and Ramli burgers, there are plenty of stalls that sell that as well. There are also numerous other food stalls around that sell different food, but we're already quite full after all the food that we ate, so we did not get a chance to sample all of them. Seriously, this place is worth a few different visits.

For those who want something less... hipsterFor those who want something less... hipster

Now that we're done with the food part, onwards to drinks!

First on the list, this superbly awesome Super Mango drink!

Instead of super mango, they should have called it majestic mango insteadInstead of super mango, they should have called it majestic mango instead

The drink is not only filled with pure blended mango goodness rather than artificial syrup, it also comes with mango ice-cream and mango slices on top of the drink. As someone who absolutely loves mango but hates how expensive they are, these drink embodies my feelings toward the fruit. It was priced at $8.90 per cup, but it was so totally worth it as it's made to be shared with someone else.

Our other top two picks of drinks are the Butterscotch Float and the Blue Ocean, a mixture of mint, lemon, Blue Lagoon, and soda. Both are absolutely refreshing in the hot weather that is Singapore.

Super refreshing, just like the oceanSuper refreshing, just like the ocean

Closest you can get to Harry Potter's butterbeerClosest you can get to Harry Potter's butterbeer

Last but not least, a trip to the Geylang Serai Bazaar is not complete with a henna tattoo. The price ranges from $8 to $15 depending on the design, and there are tons of different designs to choose from!

IMG_20180513_195514.jpg

All in all, the Geylang Serai Bazaar is quite a festive place to experience Singapore's night market culture. It is the biggest one in Singapore and it only happens once per year during the Ramadhan period. Though I must say, the stalls this year looked fewer as there were still many empty spaces when I visited, but I suppose it could be due to it being only the second day of the bazaar.

A lot of empty spaces in some of the tentsA lot of empty spaces in some of the tents

But food on the other hand, is always filled with peopleBut food on the other hand, is always filled with people

Still, Geylang Serai Bazaar 2018 is totally worth the visit, because the food and drinks there are just awesome. Plus it only happens once per year.

Do share what's your favourite part of the bazaar if you happen to visit it!

Singapore
4 comments
Level 8

Re: Singapore's Geylang Serai Bazaar is back!

Awesome @DoriyaKiz

Thank you for sharing. I love the way these photos are composed.

Cheers

Level 10

Hi @DoriyaKiz

Wow,that's a great post about Ramadan bazaar in Singapore,I haven't been there ,but we have hundreds of similar bazaars in Kuala Lumpur with similar variety of food and drinks,as we have same taste in Singapore and Malaysia 😀😀,I will share the photos and my experience in Ramadan bazaar soon ,it's just 2 days left to the blessed month of Ramadan,

Have a nice day

Former Google Contributor

Hey @DoriyaKiz,

I'd love to visit this Bazaar. I really like night markets. And all of the things you've shared are definitely social media worthy. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

Thanks for the kind words @AkmalB @Badruddeen and @NadyaPN! Happy that you enjoyed the post 🙂