inboxd's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Sharing an offbeat place I visited, Episode 2 - Haunted ruins of Bhangarh Fort

Recap:

Looking back to my life, I realized that I have been to so many off-beat places (like I always wanted to), and I didn't even realize that I have seen all these places. Looking at few old pictures, I thought I should share few of these with everyone in hopes that it would amuse, excite or inspire few of you to share your experiences or visit these places in real someday. So I decided to run a series of a posts, where last week I shared with you a gem of Rajasthan Chand Baori, Abhaneri step well, shooting location of The Batman returns

So here comes second in the series - 

Haunted ruins of Bhangarh Fort, Alwar, Rajasthan (Bhangarh Fort, Alwar, Rajasthan, IN) ( My review )

We have had numerous talks about this fort among my friends and even with my family. It is a quite famous monument within India. Of course, due to a mystery surrounding this place, that is, people say that this place is haunted and it is unsafe to stay in this fort after sunset. (Whether ghosts exist or not, I will go with whatever you say :).

Archaeological survey of India, government maintainer of this site, has put a board that prohibits anyone from entering this place between sunset to sunrise. (not necessarily due to haunt, relax!) 

There are many stories that explains how this fort became haunted, of course stories are stories, but they are interesting nevertheless. So first story goes like this -

Kind had a very beautiful daughter named Ratnavati who was very famous for her gorgeous looks. She was constantly receiving marriage proposals from princes across India. One Tantrik (black magic caster) also got enamored with the looks of the princess. Seeing that he stands no chance against these royal and handsome princes, he devised to use a trick.

When maid of princess came to by perfume for the princess, he spooked perfume with a potion, which would enchant princess in his love. But somehow princess came to know about this trickery, and she threw that bottle out of window on a boulder. That boulder rolled towards the Spell caster and crushed him, but right before being crushed he cursed whole town and inhabitants that they will not flourish here, and thus started the downfall.

Another story says that the hill on which the fort was built, a ascetic saint had his hut. He allowed king to build his fort on a condition that none of his fort's shadow should cast on his hut. His demand was duly fulfilled, except, one of the kings, named Ajab singh added a column on the fort that casted shadow on the hut. The saint casted spell that the city will vanish from history and all of you will die. Thus ended another story. Amusing, isn't it? (This reminds me of adding story of Wodeyar kingdom, that is very interesting too, and going on till date) 

Reaching there :

So, While making a trip to explore whole Jaipur Area (which is famous for it's grand stone forts and larger than life palaces, architecture, art and a HUGE astronomical setup sprawling hundreds of square meters and hosting one of the largest sundial (diameter 27 mtrs approx), I decided I am definitely going to this place.

This place is 86 kms far from Jaipur city, so I decided to club this place with another off-beat place Chand Baori, Abhaneri . It was easy to complete both of them in a single day.

Since it closes down around 5 PM, we left early and reached there in two hours via a private taxi, and saw this entrance - EntranceEntrance

It is the old market, all the ruins on both sides were shops once, and had similar structure. they were well designed for that time, I must say. I stepped inside few of them to see them closely, I find such ruins very exciting.

Moving ahead we saw more ruins of the market and reached to the gate of the main palace, looked like this -  

EntranceEntrance

There were few temples around, in dilapidated condition. (photos are in my review) but I was getting very excited to get to the main fort, I had to, because it looked magnificient.

Fort's entranceFort's entrance

I have always been a fan of Big stone forts, those big arches, panels and long symmatrical passages. Coming to this place was my nirvana, Also, this place was surprisingly well preserved, so this was my disneyland.

First gate of fortFirst gate of fortLeft passageLeft passageRight passageRight passageview from topview from top 

I ran around all the place, observing each and every nook of this place, after-all I reached this place after much talks and wait. I was bit sad to see that most of the palace was in ruins, though it was beautiful, not haunting, but beautiful, very aesthetic. Better look at pictures, few of my favourites of the place -

fallen rooffallen roofruined bedroomsruined bedroomsopen chamberopen chamberProbably templeProbably templeMore of the palace ruinsMore of the palace ruins

I was so excited and so happy to finally visit this place. I took pictures of every place in hopes that I could show this to someone who could not visit from my eyes. (Was not a part of localguides connect that time 🙂

I even forgot that the place was famous for being haunted, I was just taken aback by those beautiful ruins. 

If you ever visit Jaipur area, this is one place that you should visit if you have time in hand, as Jaipur itself can keep you busy for days.

I have left my review links on top of the post, and also link to episode 1 as well.

I hope you liked this one, if yes, share with few others who would love to see this marvel. For next episode, I will share a natural marvel siturated in Maharashtra, India. Till then have fun.

@MONDRITO Here is the new one 🙂

Bhangarh Fort, Bhangarh, Rajasthan, India
8 comments
Level 8

Re: Sharing an offbeat place I visited, Episode 2 - Haunted ruins of Bhangarh Fort

Level 6

Re: Sharing an offbeat place I visited, Episode 2 - Haunted ruins of Bhangarh Fort

@inboxd

More lovely photos & I'm actually visiting this Bhangarh next trip! It's a must and I shouldn't have skipped it after all these trips.

I was actually trying to remember which fort it was that had a curse placed on it by someone who said 'don't allow the shadow to fall on my small house' - I'm glad it turned out to be Bhangarh, I can't wait to see finally see it.

If it can be done in a **####** day with Abhaneri, that would be good, I'll pair them up and do it by private car/driver.

Also Looking forward to your post on post on Maharashtra, I've been there only briefly - Mumbai, Aurangabad, Ellora & Ajanta. Would love to go back and see Nashik.

Thanks

James

Level 6

Good to learn about this place and I am sure, monsoon can be even better to explore this region. May plan soon

Level 8

@JigneshGohelOh yeah, Monsoon would be great with all the greenery, it would look better. And it didn't even have any slippery paths.

Level 8

@James8ArthurOh yes, you should totally go for it. It is such a coincidence that my next two posts are going to be from Maharashtra; and one of them you might have visited too 😄

You are kind of reading my mind (or my calendar :D)

Level 8

Excellent. @inboxd Well presented. I read this with enthusiasm 

Cheers

Level 9

Hi @inboxd!

A wonderful story about Bhangarh Fort.

Nice pics that make us imagine the magic place :)))

Being haunted, with ghosts  gives it an extra 😉

Congratulations for  these nice series !

Good Afternoon from the South of Spain,

Alejandra.

Level 8

@AlejandraMaria I saw you in one of the recap videos. Liked it much. Keep up the good work. Thanks for noticing my work 🙂