StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Share your personal bizarre/extreme/weird food or food experiences.

@StephenAbraham I do not try bizarre food. 🙂

Level 10

Live octopus at my wedding. You just grab with a chopstick, dip it in a sauce (or not), chew (carefully) and eat!

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 10

@PaulKang In your wedding! Really! Does it climb back up from the stomach after eating? 😛 

Level 10

Not if you chew it @StephenAbraham...

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StephenAbraham very difficult task in this video, even i can't see this complete video, very scary

Level 10

Century Egg (Chinese Delicacy)

Century Egg, or also known as hundred year old egg or thousand year old egg, or Bi Dan (in Chinese), is usually made from raw uncooked duck or chicken eggs, soaked in lime (calcium oxide or hydroxide), and then packed in ash/clay and let sit to mature for a few months. After which the white would have turned a translucent black color and the yolk coagulated into a creamy grayish green color with strong hints of hydrogen sulfide or ammonia. It's a very strong and pungent tasting food and it's an acquired taste. It's usually not cooked before consuming as all the curing agents would have killed all the bacteria in the egg where present. 

This can be eaten by it's own, or served with porridge or as an ingredient in some dishes. Have you tasted this before? Share your experience!

Century Egg or Hundred Year Old EggCentury Egg or Hundred Year Old Egg

Watch kids trying the hundred year old egg for the first time!

Connect Moderator

Great food topic @StephenAbraham. You know Chinese people eat some very weird stuff.  If it walks, crawls, wiggles, swims, or flies, it's fair game and edible. Doesn't matter if is stinky or slimy. 

In California, they recently banned Shark Fin Soup and Bird Nest Soup for environmental and humane reasons.  Both were served on very special occasions (weddings, big birthdays, anniversaries) in banquets (big parties). 

A popular item on dim sum menus is braised chicken feet.  My grandpa was pleasantly surprised that I love to eat braised duck feet as a small child. Being an ABC (American Born Chinese) he would get a big kick (have a big smile) when his ABC grandkids would eat very traditional or home cooking Chinese comfort foods.   I would say I have eaten many weird things, from my heritage and other races, that are not typically found in American cuisine because of my heritage.

I have tried fresh, frozen, baked,  candied durian in Thailand. I am ok with the taste and consistency. But I am not fond of the smell.  I haven't eaten bugs, not because I am afraid. It's just not found in the US. The closest thing is escargot (baked buttery snails) and frogs legs (taste like chicken); Fish cheeks are delicious. Fish eyeballs are usually served to the oldest person sitting with you out of respect and honor. 

I usually eat a lot of Japanese sashimi (raw fish). Fish eggs (roe) if I am lucky - both Japanese and caviar (Russian). Recently, I was in Hawaii and had the best chirashi  (sashimi over sushi rice) in my life. It was soo fresh. Hawaiians call  good tasting food - 'ono' or a hybrid - 'onolicious.' 

I am going to tag @SoniaK @FaridTDF to your posts. Both are foodies. I am sure they have eaten some weird stuff before and would love to share here.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

I saw this recently from @iyudhi  recent trip to Japan here on Connect.  Was your served in LA? I have never seen it up here in SF.

@PaulKang wrote:

Live octopus at my wedding. You just grab with a chopstick, dip it in a sauce (or not), chew (carefully) and eat!

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Gracias por el tag @KarenVChin, comidas realmente raras no comí  🙂, pero si como un plato de comida arabe llamado cupe o kipe, es preparado a base de carne cruda 🥩 y mesclado con trigo borgol, cebolla, perejil, pimiento y los condimentos como sal y pimienta. En mi familia lo realizamos con carne de vaca 🐄 pero en los paises árabes es con carne de cordero 🐑@StephenAbraham, no sé si entra en la categoría de comida poco agradable, pero para mí es muy sabrosa 😋.

B4CC05DB-B964-4279-AF8E-F921EE362482.jpeg

Saludos Farid

🤚👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Connect Moderator

Sushi or sashimi is not bizarre. They can't be. They are my favorite btw. And there are a lot of halal version of sushis and of course, raw fish was never haram. 

I am very adventurous about food. Be it raw fish or rotten fish (read that dried fish, mostly popular in my country as shutki), fresh rice or spoiled rice (not the rice wine, but real rotten rice with foul smell), I tried a lot of them several times. But eating live octopus is the height of it. @PaulKang, thank god I was not invited at your wedding. I probably would end up fasting there.

The most bizarre, yet delicious food that I have ever tried was the one that I had in Assam. It's called khorisa. Khorisa is basically the deep, soft root of a special kind of bamboo that they cut into very thin sliced and let it spoil in a jar with some spices. The older it gets, the better khorisa is made. After a few months of processing, the bamboo shoot is cooked with either beef or fish. It has got a very strong foul smell. When someone cooks it at home, the entire house smells of rotten bamboo. But when the food is made, aaah......it tastes so yummy that even by thinking of khorisa my mouth is watering now. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of khorisa. If any of our Assam local guide friends is reading this, they can share some photo.

Thank you @KarenVChin, for tagging me here. And thank you @StephenAbraham for starting this topic. This is indeed quite an interesting post. Waiting to see how many bizarre food show up here. 

@FaridTDF, the food that you mentioned above, do the arabs eat it as raw? If so, that will be really shockingly interesting. Because raw meat is known to be haram in muslim religion.