StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Share your personal bizarre/extreme/weird food or food experiences.

001.jpg

Share your personal extreme/weird food or food experiences.

The great thing about LG Connect is that we have people from all over the world. And it is always fun and interesting to learn about others' culture and norms which may be totally unique to our own. Today I created this post so anyone who is interested, can share their personal local food or food experiences that can be considered a little extreme or weird or that others may find challenging to partake. It will be really interesting to see what friends over in another place eat, that can almost be a roadblock meal for someone else in another country.

If you are sharing, please share 1 food or food experience per reply, and only share a food or food experience that you think others will find quite challenging or extreme or weird or funky for a visitor from another country to eat. Don't share generally delicious food in this post, we have so many post of delicious delicious food already in Connect 🙂 🙂

For example of extreme food experience could be: Swedish Surströmming. Japanese Natto. Corsican Casu marzu Cheese. Korean Live Octopus. Filipino Balut. Hong Kong Stinky Tofu. Etc etc.. It will certainly be very interesting for all of us to read about these!

Keep Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods in mind when posting these 🙂

And if you do share something, please tag a few friends so they will share their experience also. 🙂

Tagging a few friends: @KarenVChin@YK1001@Haseeb@HiroyukiTakisawa@NirajBhusal@PavelSarwar@ErmesT@LucioV@SunPanupong@BudionoS

34 comments
Level 10

Re: Share your personal bizarre/extreme/weird food or food experiences.

Durian (King of Fruits)

My first share will be the infamous and notorious "King" of fruits called Durian. It's a semi large green color fruit covered with big thorns and a hard shell. It's so well known that most hotels or public transportation in Asia has signs forbidding the carrying or consumption of Durian in the premises. Whilst it's just a natural fruit, the aroma can be a deterrent for many who are new to it. Some say that the aroma can be equated to a rotten onion, or smelly feet, or a dirty toilet. The smell will linger for a week even with ventilation. If one can get pass the aroma, then there is the texture to deal with, it does sometimes feel like mushy onions.

Durian - King of FruitsDurian - King of Fruits

However, for those who enjoy it, not amount of money can stop them from buying and eating this. In the height of the season of the last 2 years, prices for the premium variety could go as much as USD 50 per kg (that's including the very heavy shell).

Many countries in Asia have different varieties of durians. In Malaysia a few of the most sought after varieties that command the highest demand and prices include the Musang King and Black Thorn variety.

And guess what? This is Andrew Zimmern's (of Bizarre Foods fame) mortal enemy number 1! 🙂

If you have tried this and didn't enjoy it, share your personal experience with the Durian. 🙂

Level 9

@StephenAbraham
I love durian, had it many times & yes I agree about it's bizarre smell
Reserving my place to comment here with my bizarre food experience later on 😉

Level 10

Level 10

@StephenAbraham I do not like the smell of Durian but my wife loves it. 🙂

Level 10

@AnuradhaP Share something bizarre you have eaten bro 🙂

Connect Moderator

Ikezukuri (活造り)

Of course you should know Sashimi or Sushi. However do you know "Ikezukuri"? "Ike" means "Living", "Zukuri" means ”Sashimi”. Yes, Ikezukuri means (Almost) Living Sashimi. 

Sashimi is very fresh food. But this is more fresh than generally Sashimi. Some times a chef puts the fish head on the plate beside the Sashimi. Surprisingly, it is still alive and moving. But don't scream. It is evidence of the technique of the chef and freshness.

If you are brave, try it. I guarantee the taste. 

Thank you @StephenAbraham! I like these posts:)))

IMG_20170716_184931.jpgIMG_20170716_184916.jpg

Level 10

@HiroyukiTakisawa I was searching and I found this video.. I think some may find this quite scary.. It's fresh though.. but still a bit scary.. 

@Haseeb if food eaten like this, is it halal? I think Japanese sushi and sashimi restaurants are visited by Muslims also though.. 

Connect Moderator

@StephenAbraham

I had seen it... Scary... I regretted...

Level 9

@StephenAbraham I can confirm that all those dishes shown in your video is not halal for us anyway the muslims you saw having sushi is different kind & halal.

Anyway I never had any Japanese food yet, so can't tell much about sushi & it's types 😉