BartenderPHD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

SUITABLE DRINKS TO IRISH FOOD

The arrival of the Anglo-Normans in Ireland in 1169 affected both farming and diet in Ireland. Wheat, peas, and beans became staple foods and people began preparing more elaborate dishes. The potato was introduced to Ireland by the late 1500s and became the mainstay of the Irish diet. In the 1840s, the country’s heavy reliance on potatoes led to the disaster known as the Irish Potato Famine.

215F2473-A14C-43CF-9390-39C1077C09D5.jpeg

Irish food is known for the quality and freshness of its ingredients. Most cooking is done without herbs or spices, except for salt and pepper. Foods are usually served without sauce or gravy, but Ireland is in fact a brewing nation and that makes it even more fun to pair a traditional Irish-style beer with the many Irish dishes.

Beer
A salty, fatty dish, as corned beef and cabbage, meets its match with a lighter, sessionable beerwith a sweet spot. Shepherd’s pie, or oysters are paired very well with a brown ale, while an Irish stew is probably the easiest beer and food pairing especially if you add some stout to your stew.

Sparkling wine
Sparkling wines are very good with fish and chips, as you will find the bubbles will cut through a lot of sharpness from vinegar and add a delicate sweetness to your food. If you really want to push the boat out, you can eat your fish and chips with champagne or a fine cava; if however budget is on your mind, prosecco is thoroughly recommended.

Whiskey
The same principles that apply to wine matching apply to whiskey matching. Flavours can either be complemented or contrasted. You’re looking for a balance – the whiskey should not dominate the food and vice versa. Smoke and peat are common flavours found in whiskey, they go particularly well with smoked foods, such as salmon, mackerel, oysters, mussels, duck, chicken or venison.

Wine
Traditional Irish cuisine is a great match for Guinness but it’s also a great match for wines as well. Irish consumers new preferences for winefrom all over the globe and changes in expectations for style, taste and price expands the wine landscape.
White wines as Safeway Muscadet, Chardonnay, Chablis or Australian Riesling because the high acid gives it zest and cleans up the mouth yet the wine’s light body does not overpower either the dish.
A fruity red wine, certainly a Syrah, works to cool the spices found in the sausages and a slightly spicy Syrah will complement the piquant banger. A Pinot Noir from Sonoma would do well in bringing acidity to the dish. If you wanted to go with something a little bolder, I would suggest a Malbec from Argentina.

Vantaa, Finland
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: SUITABLE DRINKS TO IRISH FOOD

Hey @BartenderPHD,

That's great! I really enjoy your posts and I hope that you continue creating them. 🙂 I was not familiar with Irish cuisine, but your post taught me a lot. 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

Hi @BartenderPHD

I have been only once to Ireland and I was really surprised about one of the delicious dishes that this Country could offer: oysters. 

Which kind of drink would it be more appropriate to match it with in your opinion?

Sparkling white wine could be a good one, what do you think?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Hi @KlaudiyaG,

Thanks for dropping a message here. 

Indeed, oysters are important for the Irish people so important that they have shucking festivals all around the country (the most famous one being held in Galway starting from ´54)

As about pairing oysters with a drink, I´ll say that this depends on your mood, the place where you are and, of course, the plating. We are picturing oysters being delicate and complexe, or is fancy to have them accompanied by champagne or dry white wine, but beside these give one of these a try: stout beer, gin, sherry, sake, mezcal, absinthe. Also, there is an unwritten rule for the oysters and that is never to eat them in a month without an ‘r’ in the name, so the season might play an important role in serving these delicious mollusks and how to pair them with a drink.