EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk-Ikeja

Local Guides programme has really been a blessing upon me! 

Each moment I tend to discover something new and interesting.

So, this meetup was an impromptu one, there's an opportunity to meet in Ikeja, I thought it wise to have a side activity to improve the Google Maps and talk to colleagues about accessibility. 

We visited three major places

1. Vibranium Valley 2. The MUSON Centre 3. TBS Bus terminal 

The Wakanda Tech Hub

Vibranium's Wakanda HubVibranium's Wakanda Hub

Vibranium Valley is a new tech hub in Lagos. We toured the space to see some great features. The name was deduced from the famous Black Panther movie. Vibranium exists only in "Wakanda"!

A major observation here was lack of accessible trails inside the facility. The engagement officer promised to take this suggestion up with the management.

The  MUSON Centre Walkway at MUSON CentreWalkway at MUSON Centre

Shell Hall Muson CentreShell Hall Muson Centre

This historic building is the home of the Musical Society of Nigeria. There two large event halls in the complex. Other facilities include art gallery, conference rooms, music school, garden, water fountain, and music library.

Accessibility is limited to walkways online. Entrace and movement upstairs is impossible for PLWD. We understand it's an old structure but their responsive team have acknowledged the importance and promised to improvise.

Tafawa Balewa Square Terminal

TBS TerminalTBS Terminal

Tafawa Balewa Square is a historic venue for Nigeria's indepence celebration. Various activities were hosted here before and after the indepence period. It was named after Nigeria's first  Prime Minister Alahaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa. 

The Bus Terminus is beside the Square and it's a transit point for various BRT buses crisscrossing Lagos Island. 

It is commendable to note that the terminal has wheelchair Entrace and access to the loading bay. There's also an auditory and visual display board for arrival/departure information. 

Recently, seats and restrooms have been provided with customer care lines to reach the bus operators.

*Milestones:

During the tour Of the Vibranium at Ikeja, I spoke about Local Guides programmes. Guests were encouraged to add reviews to Google Maps and most importantly help add accessible  to our NAW list. Two ladies activated their LG membership 

Uchechi is already a Level 2 LGUchechi is already a Level 2 LG

Meet Chiaka our new LGMeet Chiaka our new LG

You may love to view our photographs and watch the short videos too. Do let us know what you think about the three locations. How can old structures improve accessibility for differently abled? 

Another important observation is that the three locations have duplicates which give wrong directions to map users. Someone lost his way by following a wrong marker to the Vibranium Valley. After his complaint, we tried to make some editing but this is yet to reflect on the map.

There's need to give urgent attention to such issues especially when LGs make such recommendations. 

How best can we get owners of old structures to provide accessibility trails without sending so much and defacing their buildings?

@InnocensiaO @kmajewski @BruceDM @KarenVChin @LawrenceNYC @AriMar  @Justine2807 @Atsukot @MarinSt @ErmesT 

Xoxo

Emeka 

Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
4 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: RECAP: Nigeria Accessible Walk-Ikeja

Thank you for sharing, @EmekaUlor.

Did you take any pictures? Keep in mind that crafting your posts as detailed as possible makes other members in the community more engaged. If you are interested to learn more, you can check out What makes a good post?

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor

Thank you for sharing this great recap. Looks like everyone had an excellent time. 

I loved the movie Black Panther and think it is sensational Lagos Nigeria has this business technology centre called Vibranium Valley. So symbolic! Extra cool!! 

I really liked your Google photos album and also the Google Photos movies also! Superb! 

It is also fabulous that you all went to three places and took lots of great pictures of each place. 

We visited three major places

1. Vibranium Valley 2. The MUSONCentre 3. TBS Bus terminal 

All very interesting. 

Finally congratulations that you also signed up some new members for Google Maps Local Guides Connect community. I am so happy for them.and all of you I .Nigeria, as your community is huge already and getting better all the time. 

Thanks again for a good recap. 

With kind regards

@Justine2807

Check this out @HelloSamsonR , @Sagir , @Xiuoluo , @Uceey10

@AslamMohammed@Cate  

@Badruddeen  

Connect Moderator

Great job @EmekaUlor

Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks for the mention @Justine2807

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Connect Moderator

@Justine2807 Thansk for your kind words. I am grateful you spared time to drop this great comment.

Really, you loved Black Panther...cool.

It was a nice to see how Vibranium Valley made something out of Wakanda too.

See you around soon.

Thank you

Emeka