bassey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Photos: Nigerian Food

Here are some of the Local cuisines you can get in Nigeria. 

1. OKRO SOUP

FDP-8088.jpg

Okro Soup (Here with mushrooms, prawns and dried fish)Okro Soup (Here with mushrooms, prawns and dried fish)   

This dish mainly has ingredients as Okro and vegetable leaves. It can be made with other accessories like mushrooms, prawns, shredded meat, etc. It is eaten, mostly with garri (made from cassava). However, some people eat it with rice wheat or pounded yam. Great meal it makes with any of these options. You can get them #OngoogleMaps here

2. EGUSI SOUP

Egusi Soup, served here with stockfish and leavesEgusi Soup, served here with stockfish and leaves

Egusi soup is a cuisine common with the South-Eastern part of the country. (@U-royFelixA  is familiar with this) Quite delicious. The main ingredients are melon seeds (looks like pumpkin seeds) and vegetable leaves (Spinach, pumpkin or bitter leaves). The melon seeds are usually ground so they aren’t visible in their normal state. Just like soups in Nigeria, it is mainly eaten with what we call swallows (garri, Pounded yam, wheat, etc) as well as rice. Different kinds of protein, meat, fish, etc are used to compliment it’s flavor. Available in restaurants like this which can be located #OngoogleMaps, already mapped by #LocalGuides 

3. JOLLOF RICE

Jellof Rice, served here with fried, dried chickenJellof Rice, served here with fried, dried chicken

Now, this should be know by non-Nigerians. It is a dish popular with Nigerians. Hardly would you go to a Nigerian party and not find this served. It is quite important that this is served. LOL. It is believed (and it is my conviction) that even though other African countries have this too, Jollof rice made in Nigeria by Nigerians, is the best. 

It is usually served with meat, chicken, fish or whatever is the preference is. If you are in Nigeria, it is required you try it. Available everywhere. Ingredient is mainly rice and tomatoes.

3. NATIVE SOUP

Native soup served here with pounded yamNative soup served here with pounded yam

This dish is common with the Southern part of Nigeria. It is actually pretty nice. The main ingredients are cocoyam, palm oil and what the fisherman brings (Fish, shrimps, periwinkles, crayfish, prawns, etc.). It is eaten with swallow (as mentioned earlier). Here, in the picture, it is presented with pounded yam (That’s yam mashed together to form a single solid). Not available everywhere in the country but in places like Rivers and Bayelsa states (southern Nigeria), it is common and not played with lol.

4. EKPANG NKUKWO

Ekpang Nkukwo served here with assorted meatEkpang Nkukwo served here with assorted meat

I will not be held accountable if you have issues resulting from pronouncing this one LOL. I advise you spell it to anyone instead. Well, this is quite a delicacy of the Efiks (of southern Nigeria Origin). Made predominantly of cocoyam, water yam, grated and wrapped in small rolls with spinach or pumpkin leaves (lots of them) garnished with stockfish, lots of periwinkle. It is a complicated dish and requires certain expertise to pull-off. Because of this, it is rare to get it. This was prepared by Jevinik Restaurant found #OnGoogleMaps. The taste is lovely and it is eaten as it is shown served in the picture. 

BONUS MEALS

I term the following bonus as they were made by my wife (God bless her)  🙂 Decided to insert here too as to show what can be obtainable the you visit Nigeria 

5. MACARONI & CHEESE

FDP-9846.jpg

Well, I don’t think I need to describe this to you all as it is quite popular. It is served here with grilled lamb. After serving, I felt the need to take a picture of it before eating. Took a couple of shots and the quantity kept reducing after each shot....for obvious reasons. 😉

6. RICE, STEW & PLANTAIN PORRIDGE

Boiled Rice, Stew, Plantain Porridge and cole slawBoiled Rice, Stew, Plantain Porridge and cole slaw

Here, you see a variety but no, you don’t get to eat it all.

The plantain porridge (bottom center): is eaten as it is. Prepared mainly with plantain and any desired meat (or fish). In the picture, it is meat.

Boiled Rice & beef Stew: This is served together. The beef stew is made mainly of tomatoes and beef stalk. In this presentation, this is both served with cole slaw (top left) with the dressing made of italian dressing and mayonnaise (bottom right). 

And there you have it. I hope this hasn’t being a boring read or discovery for you. If so, I owe you apologies. I hope I have been able to raise your eye brows about Nigeria and her dishes in particular.

I’d really love to hear what local guides think about these, especially the local dishes @KarenVChin @TraciC

Love for Food and Landscape photography
Lagos, Nigeria
66 comments
Level 10

Re: Photos: Nigerian Food

@bassey Wow! This is awesome! Guys this my Nigerian brother has gone all the way to share the recipe of some of the greatest Nigerian delicacies. 😄 Now you can prepare them in whatever continent you are. @OSAMA @SanyaOdare @HelloSamsonR @ChiomaJ @

Level 10

@bassey, what do you think you're doing? ...making me drool over sumptuously-looking delicacies and not being able to have a taste? What's that?

Great pictures you've got man!

@bassey wrote:

Here are some of the Local cuisines you can get in Nigeria. 

1. OKRO SOUP

FDP-8088.jpg

Okro Soup (Here with mushrooms, prawns and dried fish)Okro Soup (Here with mushrooms, prawns and dried fish)   

This dish mainly has ingredients as Okro and vegetable leaves. It can be made with other accessories like mushrooms, prawns, shredded meat, etc. It is eaten, mostly with garri (made from cassava). However, some people eat it with rice wheat or pounded yam. Great meal it makes with any of these options. You can get them #OngoogleMaps here

2. EGUSI SOUP

Egusi Soup, served here with stockfish and leavesEgusi Soup, served here with stockfish and leaves

Egusi soup is a cuisine common with the South-Eastern part of the country. (@U-royFelixA  is familiar with this) Quite delicious. The main ingredients are melon seeds (looks like pumpkin seeds) and vegetable leaves (Spinach, pumpkin or bitter leaves). The melon seeds are usually ground so they aren’t visible in their normal state. Just like soups in Nigeria, it is mainly eaten with what we call swallows (garri, Pounded yam, wheat, etc) as well as rice. Different kinds of protein, meat, fish, etc are used to compliment it’s flavor. Available in restaurants like this which can be located #OngoogleMaps, already mapped by #LocalGuides 

3. JOLLOF RICE

Jellof Rice, served here with fried, dried chickenJellof Rice, served here with fried, dried chicken

Now, this should be know by non-Nigerians. It is a dish popular with Nigerians. Hardly would you go to a Nigerian party and not find this served. It is quite important that this is served. LOL. It is believed (and it is my conviction) that even though other African countries have this too, Jollof rice made in Nigeria by Nigerians, is the best. 

It is usually served with meat, chicken, fish or whatever is the preference is. If you are in Nigeria, it is required you try it. Available everywhere. Ingredient is mainly rice and tomatoes.

3. NATIVE SOUP

Native soup served here with pounded yamNative soup served here with pounded yam

This dish is common with the Southern part of Nigeria. It is actually pretty nice. The main ingredients are cocoyam, palm oil and what the fisherman brings (Fish, shrimps, periwinkles, crayfish, prawns, etc.). It is eaten with swallow (as mentioned earlier). Here, in the picture, it is presented with pounded yam (That’s yam mashed together to form a single solid). Not available everywhere in the country but in places like Rivers and Bayelsa states (southern Nigeria), it is common and not played with lol.

4. EKPANG NKUKWO

Ekpang Nkukwo served here with assorted meatEkpang Nkukwo served here with assorted meat

I will not be held accountable if you have issues resulting from pronouncing this one LOL. I advise you spell it to anyone instead. Well, this is quite a delicacy of the Efiks (of southern Nigeria Origin). Made predominantly of cocoyam, water yam, grated and wrapped in small rolls with spinach or pumpkin leaves (lots of them) garnished with stockfish, lots of periwinkle. It is a complicated dish and requires certain expertise to pull-off. Because of this, it is rare to get it. This was prepared by Jevinik Restaurant found #OnGoogleMaps. The taste is lovely and it is eaten as it is shown served in the picture. 

BONUS MEALS

I term the following bonus as they were made by my wife (God bless her)  🙂 Decided to insert here too as to show what can be obtainable the you visit Nigeria 

5. MACARONI & CHEESE

FDP-9846.jpg

Well, I don’t think I need to describe this to you all as it is quite popular. It is served here with grilled lamb. After serving, I felt the need to take a picture of it before eating. Took a couple of shots and the quantity kept reducing after each shot....for obvious reasons. 😉

6. RICE, STEW & PLANTAIN PORRIDGE

Boiled Rice, Stew, Plantain Porridge and cole slawBoiled Rice, Stew, Plantain Porridge and cole slaw

Here, you see a variety but no, you don’t get to eat it all.

The plantain porridge (bottom center): is eaten as it is. Prepared mainly with plantain and any desired meat (or fish). In the picture, it is meat.

Boiled Rice & beef Stew: This is served together. The beef stew is made mainly of tomatoes and beef stalk. In this presentation, this is both served with cole slaw (top left) with the dressing made of italian dressing and mayonnaise (bottom right). 

And there you have it. I hope this hasn’t being a boring read or discovery for you. If so, I owe you apologies. I hope I have been able to raise your eye brows about Nigeria and her dishes in particular.

I’d really love to hear what local guides think about these, especially the local dishes @KarenVChin @TraciC

Level 10

@SanyaOdare Thanks a lot. That was part of the intent. LOL

@SanyaOdare wrote:

@bassey, what do you think you're doing? ...making me drool over sumptuously-looking delicacies and not being able to have a taste? What's that?

Great pictures you've got man!

Love for Food and Landscape photography
Level 8

Wow... I love this...

Wow. Nice one bro. Please add this one to the next edition. 😀😉Cassava flakes porridge with sliced Oil Bean ('ukpaka'), garden eggs et al. (Optional garnishing)Cassava flakes porridge with sliced Oil Bean ('ukpaka'), garden eggs et al. (Optional garnishing)

Dinner is served!

Level 10

@bassey You are a Top photographer. The pictures of your meal are amazing. This is one of a kind. 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Level 10

@bassey!!! I'm salivating!!  😝😝.  I love this post ah. My favorite is the egusi and jollof rice. When they're well prepared, just get to lick my fingers and bite my spoon haha. Great post!! 

Isaac
Level 8

@bassey Nice post, really lovely pictures, you could make a man hungry with those pics. I see you also have an eye for photography. Welcome onboard the Local Guides Connect train...

Level 10

@Mayford could you please face your books? Oops!!! I mean face your study and leave relishing the sight of all these good-looking pictures to us. @bassey@Sayo@U-royFelixA@JosemariaN@HelloSamsonR@iykmba, I'm afraid @Mayford needs your help to take his heart and mind off egusi and jollof rice.

@Mayford wrote:

@bassey!!! I'm salivating!!  😝😝.  I love this post ah. My favorite is the egusi and jollof rice. When they're well prepared, just get to lick my fingers and bite my spoon haha. Great post!!